Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla now repairing MCU1 with a new Tegra card for less than $500

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmmm, so, is it now installed? Are you driving the car with it? If so, what do you now think?

I just got mine done today. A 2016 75D, AP1. I will summarize it by just saying, it feels like my wife 3 and my friends Y. For 2k usd or 3k cad, and having a more modern experience, it is worthwhile. I think I can keep this car a few years longer with this touch.

Yeah i don't know why some people are so negative about this upgrade. We paid for the spec at the time, it was what it was.

5 years later, we get a chance to refresh that experience. It's pretty slick, it is cheaper than buying a new car like you say. For anyone reading this thread, I would recommend it unless you need more range, speed or FSD (i only have AP1 but wife has FSD).

Yeah, agree 110%. It MCU2 Upgrade makes the car better than it was when it was brand new. And if you want same but much better, its a bargain. I understand why people won't buy it. They don't want to spend. Or they think Tesla owes them an superior upgraded product compared to a like replacement. I don't think they will ever get one for free, but I guess we will see. I don't really care if anyone gets it free and I had to pay $2500. Its worth the $2500.

I disagree...for AP1 car ...the car karaoke..gaming and Netflix are not worth the $1500....u can’t use it for the kids while the car is in motion

MCU1 w new emmc should be plenty to run nav, streaming,etc...

I can see MCU2 is worth it if you have the newer AP or FSD...just to keep up w the performance

Reactions: Yurand and brkaus
I think @Wratran nailed it. For AP1 users the MCU2 just does not offer anything substantial and takes away things like the radio. My AP1 MCU works just fine when it works. I don't expect anything more. I would not get much more either since the other technology does not exist in these models.

All I want is the same reliability and performance I had when the car was new. For me that would be just swapping the eMMC if that proves to be the solution.

I disagree...for AP1 car ...the car karaoke..gaming and Netflix are not worth the $1500....u can’t use it for the kids while the car is in motion

MCU1 w new emmc should be plenty to run nav, streaming,etc...

I can see MCU2 is worth it if you have the newer AP or FSD...just to keep up w the performance

I also agree. I think ap3 hardware is slowing the mcu down. Perhaps processing mapping data to give the AP hardware? Mine showed down big time when ap3 was installed.

I wouldn’t do it for Netflix or games.

Reactions: dgpcolorado
I think @Wratran nailed it. For AP1 users the MCU2 just does not offer anything substantial and takes away things like the radio. My AP1 MCU works just fine when it works. I don't expect anything more. I would not get much more either since the other technology does not exist in these models.

All I want is the same reliability and performance I had when the car was new. For me, that would be just swapping the eMMC if that proves to be the solution.

The big downside for AP1 users with MCU1 is that the browser still does not work... Tesla Waze is a must-have for my driving.
Tesla Traffic Incidents and Information (teslawaze.azurewebsites.net)

Reactions: Akikiki
Google map on your phone is way better than waze

Does Google maps have real-time police presence shown along with construction hazards and other accident warnings?

upload_2021-2-2_14-53-59.png

Are you using the Dashcam and/or Sentry mode feature that you gained with AP3? If so, that could be a significant reason for the slow down.
I had tried it for a bit but it was too slow. Even without that feature enabled, the system cant handle it. I also think I have a failing MCU chip so that could be the culprit. Im just over it honestly. Ill pay the $1500 and not have to deal with Teslas awful service

Reactions: brkaus
Are you using the Dashcam and/or Sentry mode feature that you gained with AP3? If so, that could be a significant reason for the slow down.

Tried but way to slow. Had to pull the usb stick for dadhvam and stop using streaming audio.
I had tried it for a bit but it was too slow. Even without that feature enabled, the system cant handle it. I also think I have a failing MCU chip so that could be the culprit. Im just over it honestly. Ill pay the $1500 and not have to deal with Teslas awful service

ditto. I’m tempted to try the eMMC, but then I have two trips to the shop.

Yes it does have real time accidents and construction closure...google also has traffics congestion w color code.

Nav routing is 100 time better than waze...waypoints...tolls/HOV option...reroute based on congestion..etc...lot more options

Nonsense... the only app that matters shows the current real-time police presence... both hidden and visible on the large screen. :cool: