Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Offers $2,500 Infotainment Upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tesla will now offer a computer hardware update for older versions of the Model S and Model X that will improve the infotainment system.

Owners of Model S and Model X vehicles built March 2018 or earlier will be eligible to purchase an “Infotainment Upgrade,” Tesla said in a blog post. The $2,500 upgrade will give owners access to features like video streaming, Tesla Arcade features, in addition to a more responsive and faster touchscreen.

Screen-Shot-2020-03-03-at-9.59.24-PM.png

Tesla says eligible owners will be invited by email to schedule an appointment to purchase and install the upgrade.

It’s great news for owners for older Tesla vehicles that will bring their infotainment systems up to date with a brand new car. It also bodes well for the Model S and Model X resale value.

Image: Tesla

Last edited by a moderator:
I started with a new 2013 MS. Traded for a 2016 MX P90D. Debating on the upgrade. Was told I had self driving. I do but it’s AutoPilot that will not upgrade to complete self driving. Already paid a bunch for what I was told is not. If I upgrade I see no real benefit for my purposes. I am 77 years old and even though I embrace the new technology I still want my AM/FM radio. So I paid a good amount for what I was told would eventually be complete self driving. Mine will not. Maybe I should get a credit instead of an opportunity to spend more money that, in my case, would give me less.

I started with a new 2013 MS. Traded for a 2016 MX P90D. Debating on the upgrade. Was told I had self driving. I do but it’s AutoPilot that will not upgrade to complete self driving. Already paid a bunch for what I was told is not. If I upgrade I see no real benefit for my purposes. I am 77 years old and even though I embrace the new technology I still want my AM/FM radio. So I paid a good amount for what I was told would eventually be complete self driving. Mine will not. Maybe I should get a credit instead of an opportunity to spend more money that, in my case, would give me less.
Autopilot and the Infotainment computer are two different things. If you purchased FSD for your car, that will be upgraded independently.

Biggest issue for me is that they took away FM and to a lessor extent AM radio. Our Model 3 has at least AM radio. There are times when we have poor cellular connection and like to have access to radio. We also have some radio stations we listen to that no longer are on TuneIn.

Reactions: Silicon Desert
this is a tough one, i got in my friend model 3 and the display was sooooo smooth and responsive -- instantly felt jealous. Part of me wants to pay that but still not 100% sure i will pull the trigger... do we expect a similar display smoothens and response as if its a new car once we upgrade?

If yours is an AP2 car built after late October 2016 (just like my Model S), indications are you can eventually (no time set yet) get FSD while keeping your MC1 with AM/FM Radio, with the FSD included AP3 computer upgrade. You might, but it is unlikely you would get the Sentry, Dashcam recording and the entertainment. Also, probably not the traffic cone visualization.

I find it interesting to read comments from those who stream from their phones. Here in Massachusetts, it is now illegal to even touch your phone when driving (of course that does not stop the hundreds of people I see looking at their phones while driving to work, but whatever). So how do you select music, and other content from your phone if you cannot legally touch the phone?

Removal of FM with this upgrade seems to me to be a cost savings move. MCU2 supports FM/XM and Tesla could easily include that tuner with this upgrade (and even add the XM antenna for an extra cost). Look, there are those who listen to FM a lot, and those who never even knew that their car had an FM receiver. But to remove functionality that could still be there seems to be a bad move IMHO.
The music would start as as soon as I got in the car. If not, I would start it before I drove. If I didn't want to listen to a song, I would hit the skip button on the car's steering wheel. Presumably, I like the songs I put on my playlist so "selecting" is not that big of an issue nor common task. If you didn't like a song while listening to FM, you'd just switch stations, right?

Removal of FM with this upgrade seems to me to be a cost savings move. MCU2 supports FM/XM and Tesla could easily include that tuner with this upgrade (and even add the XM antenna for an extra cost). Look, there are those who listen to FM a lot, and those who never even knew that their car had an FM receiver. But to remove functionality that could still be there seems to be a bad move IMHO.

Now that brings up an interesting question. I didn't realize some cars didn't come with XM. I wonder if folks with MCU1 who bought the premium sound system with XM will also lose their radios, or just the folks with the basic FM-only setup. I'm assuming that the XM-capable hardware is the same as the setup that they use with MCU2?

I have been on the Tesla page on Facebook and the consensus is that NOT reconnecting the FM radio tuner when the upgrades are done is just wrong in the extreme. It seems the hardware will remain in place (behind the steering wheel somewhere) but not connected to the new and "improved" infotainment system and that Tesla does not want to reconnect it because it takes too long. I feel betrayed.

I, like millions of others, listen to FM and FM-HD radio. It's not all I listen to, but over 80% of the time when I'm in the car. I have NO, zero, nada use for or desire for games when I'm parked. If I could, I would read mail or just listen to the FM radio. I'm not at all clear what they're going to do to my car next week when they do the upgrade, but you can be certain I'll have a long talk with the dealership service techs before I do. No, I don't want to pay for "premium" content that I neither need or want or will use--even when parked. I do look forward to having the promises my salesman made come true at long last. The ability to stop at stoplights, and stop signs. The ability to really autodrive safely--even on highways with traffic control.

Reactions: pilotSteve
You might, but it is unlikely you would get the Sentry, Dashcam recording and the entertainment. Also, probably not the traffic cone visualization.

Green tweeted that when he upgraded his Model X to HW3 his MCU1 did traffic cone visualizations. I wonder if Tesla is deliberately disabling these new visualizations to encourage people to do the $2500 MCU2 upgrade?

I am considering the upgrade but not sure if I need it right away. My daily commute is just 1.9mi (6min) with level2 charge options at both locations. The only time I spend in the car is when I visit the SC at Lynnfield, MA but then too am on my phone.

I wish Tesla would install a widescreen TV behind the driver sun visor so that I can stream Netflix from my phone.