Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla officially trying to upsell M3 to MS 60

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got that exact email, and I'm in NY, so it's not just a CA thing. I've scheduled a test drive for this coming Monday, so they've succeeded at piquing my interest. :) I fully intend to get the completely loaded Model 3, but I would consider getting the base S just to hold me over.

Now I'm just trying to figure out in which scenario I will lose the least amount of money. I have a 2012 Range Rover I'm going to trade-in with about $15k positive equity. Will I lose less money if I just wait two years and then trade it in (I will have made 2 more years of payments, but of course it will continue to depreciate as well), or trade it in now for the S, then trade in the S in two years??? I think newer vehicles depreciate faster, so I might be better off just waiting? I'm not sure what to do... if it's only a difference of a few thousand I will just get the S right now. Also, would I get two tax incentive breaks, one for each car??

I guess I'll work the math all out with the folks at the dealership on Monday. Something tells me I'm going to be driving home with the Tesla either way lol

I'm a pre-reveal Model 3 reservation holder, am signed up for their event updates and newsletters, and have a Model S test drive scheduled for Friday evening, but I didn't get the "upsell" email. Perhaps because the nearest store to me is 3 hours away?

(I'll be in Dayton OH over the weekend, and in Cincy for the test drive).
Enjoy the test drive, and you'll be well taken care of- great staff at the Cincinnati store... that's where I waited in line and reserved my 3 :)

I was checking my email early Friday morning and saw this email - my husband and I are exactly the target for it.

We are in the market for a new car and have been going back and forth between a Tesla and a BMW 328GT. When the Model 3 was announced, we placed our deposit but wasn't sure if we wanted to wait a few years to get it.

Woke him up at 3am to say I have decided and want a Model S60. So Friday after work, we went to Tesla to test drive and order. So excited now.

Reactions: Canuck
Good for you. As for my test drive I did the smart thing (not usual for me :) I am having my wife come along. She knows absolutely nothing about Tesla except listening to me ramble on about my M3. I am interested in seeing her reaction to the S.

Please tell me about this fantasy of a stripped down Model S.

I just looked and the standard equipment listed includes

Technology
  • Regular over-the-air updates add safety and navigation features, enhance performance and improve the driver experience
  • Free long distance travel on Tesla's expanding Supercharger network
  • Maps and navigation with real time traffic information
  • Center console with removable dividers
  • GPS-enabled Homelink
  • Mobile app remote control
  • Rain sensing automatic windshield wipers
  • Twelve way power adjustable, heated front seats with memory and driver profile
  • Automatic keyless entry
Safety
  • Active safety technologies, including side collision avoidance and automatic emergency braking, even at highway speeds
  • Electronic stability and traction control
  • Four wheel antilock disc brakes with electronic parking brake
  • Parking sensors and blind spot warning
  • Full LED headlamps
  • Power-folding, heated side mirrors with memory
  • Three LATCH child seat attachments
  • Eight airbags for driver and passenger heads, knees, and pelvis plus two side curtain airbags
Warranty
  • 8 year, infinite mile battery and drive unit warranty
  • 4 year, 50,000 mile limited warranty

I'm just not seeing a "stripped car" there. Autopilot for $2500 is the only must have over the base model and then paint color of choice for $1000 is a nice want. I don't consider either of those deal breaking prices for add ons and I wouldn't call it a stripped car even without as I can add on the autopilot software later since the HW is already there.

Take a look at a base Honda Civic or a base Toyota Prius they sure sell stripped down cars. You have a funny idea of "stripped" if you think even the lowest 2016 Tesla is stripped.

So your $66,000 non-stripped car is going to get an extra $3500 worth of options immediately; add in that cost and the taxes associated with those costs and you are now at $70,000. That's before most people would factor in dual motors, leather seats, upgraded wheels, upgraded sound, upgraded roof, etc.

Now, those options might not mean much to you, so by all means, go buy a stripped down car. Yes, a Tesla base car is a very nice car but it still takes a pile of money in upgrades to make it a luxury car.

I can get every option I want on a model 3, and still save a ton of money over the base model S.

So your $66,000 non-stripped car is going to get an extra $3500 worth of options immediately; add in that cost and the taxes associated with those costs and you are now at $70,000. That's before most people would factor in dual motors, leather seats, upgraded wheels, upgraded sound, upgraded roof, etc.

Now, those options might not mean much to you, so by all means, go buy a stripped down car. Yes, a Tesla base car is a very nice car but it still takes a pile of money in upgrades to make it a luxury car.

I can get every option I want on a model 3, and still save a ton of money over the base model S.

You list 7 optionals and say etc at the end and somehow think not having all those options is stripped. Whatever.

Basically your entire argument comes down to the fact that the $60,000 car doesn't have the same features as a $110,000 car. Gee, you think?

As to what we can get on a Model 3 vs Model S and how much it will cost, we just don't know yet. You'll have to wait until after the Model 3 part two reveal, and then to see if the Model S gets similar refreshes and then wait for pricing of both in late 2017/early 2018 to even have a chance to discuss this with any certainty.

We have similar threads here about Model S vs Model X, one is more expensive than the other but both are luxury cars. Both have things about them that the other doesn't have. There will always be someone trying to say one or the other is better. But the price differential between the two has changed several times just in the last few months. I expect that to continue to change. I suppose we are doomed to listen to people naysay about the price difference between the 3 and the S for the next two years or so.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler

You're stating the obvious. Yes, the S is more costly...BUT, if you're driving something right now that you're looking to trade in two/three years, you're losing $$ no matter what.

So the question is: is there really *that* big of a difference between keeping my current vehicle and letting it depreciate for 2 or so more years, then trading it in for the 3, as opposed to trading it in right now for the S60D, and trading in the S when the 3 is released...?

I will find out the answer to that on Monday after my test drive. :D

Basically your entire argument comes down to the fact that the $60,000 car doesn't have the same features as a $110,000 car. Gee, you think?

That's where you're wrong. That's the exact opposite of what I'm arguing. I'm arguing that a $60,000 car WILL have most, if not all of those options, I listed and it'll still cheaper by many thousands of dollars than a stripped down S with zero options.

Now, if you want to argue its smaller, that's fine. If you need a bigger car or you need it now then go get an S. If you're talking about the best value for your money, it's not even close.

I think people are under the assumption that I'm hating on the S and that's not correct. It is a beautiful car and it has great features. If Tesla wasn't building a model 3 I would buy an S.

Oh, so all of us Model 3 buyers are poor, young, supercharger abusers? I know that is what you mean. All of us poor folk are gonna take your supercharger stalls.
For the record I live in a rental with costly option for 220v. Drive a $22k otd car bought in 2009, and I was in line on the 3/31 in the morning.

Is a guy like me far more likely to use the local superchargers than my neighbors who own $100k+ Teslas? I think so. That's why I argue that using $2k price point as reference for unlimited supercharging is likely incorrect. That's my personal opinion I am sorry if I offended anyone.

According to our own unscientific poll it looks like 15-20% of M3 res holders could be swayed. Based on current M3 reservations that could mean 45-60k of new MS demand. But at depressed margins given the battery size of the 60.

What is your true Model 3 budget?

The poll is somewhat flawed if it didn't include the option, "I have a reservation for the model 3, and I'm buying the new model S... BUT, when the 3 comes out I'll be trading in the S."

I'm going on Monday for a test drive and to work out the numbers, and I may very well be in that boat. No matter what happens though - whether I trade my car in now and get the not-so-loaded S, or wait 2 years - I'm ultimately going to end up getting the loaded 3.

I got the email this afternoon, and I live in the middle of the Canadian prairies. They probably are just sending them out in batches, not all at once.
Ontario resident here, and I also got the email. For us, the EV incentives are tremendously cut back if the MSRP exceeds approx. $57K (basically only Teslas), and the new S60 is still well above that. It's about a $7.5K difference on incentives alone compared to the Model 3.

I'd be comparing a base model S60 for $64K vs. model 3 loaded with $20K of options for $48K. Kinda of a no-brainer to at least wait.

Last edited: