Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla open up the SuC network [in UK]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think there is also the issue of planning consents to build new sites to be considered. It is presumably going to be easier to get consents where they can be available for all EV users, eg like one petrol station being available to all brands of vehicle.

There need to be more sites and those need to have very rapid chargers, not 7kw ones. The planning regulations to force phone masts and other utilities onto unwilling land owners are quite draconian. Perhaps they want to get a bite of those for EV chargers?

Reactions: Jason71
Very interesting, but you have to wonder why these enhancements have not been done to the ten Netherland sites ahead of the pilot? 🧐
Exactly. it's not as if these issues weren't reasonably forseeable. They didn't even bother putting up a table to show which vehicles could charge without blocking bays, etc, they just said "plz park carefully" (like that's going to happen). Even for a pilot scheme it seems pretty shambolic, unless it's designed to fail?

1635961972941.png

Apparently there will be dedicated "foreign" stalls
Screenshot_20211103-113723.png

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Informative
Reactions: MrBadger
I don't understand what the "nearby Stall" bit means? does it mean move your car somewhere else? images 1 and 3 have not rendered and are just black squares so maybe I am missing some data
Unedited screenshot responsible for black squares. [moderator update - black bars now removed]

I don't know what those notations mean either. I'm slightly apprehensive given the population of idiots that are allowed to buy EVs 🤔

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: fireshipjohn
I don't understand what the "nearby Stall" bit means? does it mean move your car somewhere else? images 1 and 3 have not rendered and are just black squares so maybe I am missing some data
I think it means using the charger from the next door stall, rather than the one normally appropriate for the stall you are in, as the charge point is on the wrong side.

Naturally, this means you are blocking the use of the charger for the stall you are on, but other than using the end one (and parking adjacent to the last stall) this is inevitable. The fun then starts...

That’s what I’m sort of thinking. Does it suggest that when the non Tesla driver tells the app they are plugged into stall x, the app may say no, sorry, move your car to stall y in order to charge? It’s sort of got all the makings of a bit of a shambles.

I think it means using the charger from the next door stall, rather than the one normally appropriate for the stall you are in, as the charge point is on the wrong side.

Naturally, this means you are blocking the use of the charger for the stall you are on, but other than using the end one (and parking adjacent to the last stall) this is inevitable. The fun then starts...
The labels say "nearby stall" with numbers 1-3 I don't see how that fits with just choosing the cable on the left or right

Being an 'open' charging network means that people can charge and compatible car. We already know that Leaf's and early Zoe's will be out of luck. It's not Tesla's problem to cater for them.

Can this logic not be applied more broadly, and compatible being defined as parking in the correct bay. So a Taycan is compatible, as is a Polestar, but VW just aren't so are blocked from using the service. This will apply pressure to those that aren't to adapt with future models, and so in time we have a civilized approach to charging. How much simpler and cheaper would other public charges be if they also didn't have to deal with the utter nonsense of randomly positioning the charge point.

Reactions: DenkiJidousha
Looking at that picture above it looks like it represents this setup as below:

So when you drive in, Tesla is using the dedicated stall on the left side at the rear. The other 3 stalls charge the listed cars above to which ever is the correct stall.

The only problem here is. Where in the Uk has this type of setup?

Tesla-Supercharging.jpg

Does putting a six inch (150mm) spike through the end of a cricket bat make it an offensive weapon? A friend is curious