Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla overcharge?

Does your car overcharge?

• Yes - all the time

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No - never

Votes: 14 77.8%
  • Sometimes - random

Votes: 4 22.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all. Happy Holidays. I kinda want to do a poll to find out has anyone been experiencing the same "issue" as I am. I am not sure if this is an issue I need to bring up to the service center but lets say the night before I will set a charge of 90%. However, the next morning I wake up...it will charge sometimes to 95 or in this case 98%.

It doesn't happen all the time. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_5437BF2B0E9B-1.jpeg
    IMG_5437BF2B0E9B-1.jpeg
    360.1 KB · Views: 143
Reactions: NoirMS
Hi all. Happy Holidays. I kinda want to do a poll to find out has anyone been experiencing the same "issue" as I am. I am not sure if this is an issue I need to bring up to the service center but lets say the night before I will set a charge of 90%. However, the next morning I wake up...it will charge sometimes to 95 or in this case 98%.

It shouldn't happen. Certainly not 90% to 97%. I would bring it up with the service center. Also, you should watch it sometime to see if it stops at 90%, and then resumes later, or something else is going on.

Reactions: Rocky_H

never experienced this.... 15 months owning a cpo 2015 ms..... I read this thread and the next night (last night) I overcharged.... barely but it did happen...
still on v9...
weird...
Screenshot_20191216-081656_Tesla.jpg

Reactions: bktiger86
Very interesting...yeah I'm not sure if it is weather related or not. I live in California and lately it has been pretty cold in my garage.
def not weather for me... had the car too long and been through all 2 seasons we have, lol... I'm still simply blown away that I woke up to my 1st ever overcharge after reading this thread about overcharging for the 1st time....
will be monitoring next few charges and will post any anomalies....

This happened to me for the first time in years of ownership (two cars since 10/2013) when I tried the new "depart at" option in the charging scheduler. Once I realized it was still charging even when the car was at or above the charge limit I had set, I immediately went back to my the start charge at 2am option and it hasn't happened again since.

This happens to me periodically. Came on here to see if there was anything to be alarmed at. Kinda makes no sense and is a little annoying. . .

As per below, it overcharged the car pretty significantly. I use a bunch of different Level-2 chargers when I fill up at different places. Maybe that has something to do with it? I dunno - the car should know where it's set to fill to and STOP it where it's set. End of story. . .

Screenshot 2022-03-02 at 5.20.52 AM.jpg

This happens to me periodically. Came on here to see if there was anything to be alarmed at. Kinda makes no sense and is a little annoying. . .

As per below, it overcharged the car pretty significantly. I use a bunch of different Level-2 chargers when I fill up at different places. Maybe that has something to do with it? I dunno - the car should know where it's set to fill to and STOP it where it's set. End of story. . .

View attachment 777081

“238 miles added during last charging session”

This is why, your battery was almost completely empty when you started charging.

In recent firmwares, it seems relatively common for the car to suddenly “lose” about 5% state of charge within an hour or so of parking with a low battery (less than ~20%).

Then it starts charging, charges to your set limit, and at some point after that the “missing” 5% suddenly comes back, resulting in the appearance the car charged past its set point.

I can’t explain why this happens, only comment that it seems to be common, and seems to be harmless. More examples in this thread, and others:

Reactions: Rocky_H