Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla owner configurations begin

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yup. And, there are a lot of us still fitting that profile who haven't received the invite yet. Let's see what the next couple of days bring...
Some have said this might just be a stunt to be able to say they are delivering to non-employees. Kinda like the July unveil when they called Beta testing "production". Let's hope that is wrong, and they will begin putting out order emails to a dozen a day or so. At least they can't make anyone sign NDAs anymore.

Does not seem like anyone is getting "order" emails today...

Reactions: navguy12
I'm not going to get my hopes up that they're opening up deliveries to the great Columbia River Gorge just yet... my guess is that you're 'special' Bonnie, and they know it :)
While I'd like to think I'm special, nope. :) I think it was the fact I'm an owner & reserved first day - def others received an invite before I did.

Screen Shot 2017-11-22 at 8.40.25 AM.png

11-21-17 reports, time is of post in this thread unless otherwise noted...
danzgator (M3OC) 7:12am
GasDoc 8:59am
Bradleybang 10:03am
Shuji 10:21am
tenstringer009 10:31am
bonnie 12:33pm
raptorweb 12:36pm
GarrickS 12:37pm
Gr8Pursuit 12:45pm
KL670 12:45pm
Lump 12:52pm
nikeykid 1:14pm
smartypnz 4:06pm, different TMC thread
daboys2007 4:51pm
vangogh 5:03pm
slickrock 8:06pm
smorgasbord 8:15pm

17 now.

I’ve seen it stated that some of these are in SoCal, but has anyone on the list confirmed that they’re outside of the Bay Area?

11-21-17 reports, time is of post in this thread unless otherwise noted...
danzgator (M3OC) 7:12am
GasDoc 8:59am
Bradleybang 10:03am
Shuji 10:21am
tenstringer009 10:31am
bonnie 12:33pm
raptorweb 12:36pm
GarrickS 12:37pm
Gr8Pursuit 12:45pm
KL670 12:45pm
Lump 12:52pm
nikeykid 1:14pm
smartypnz 4:06pm, different TMC thread
daboys2007 4:51pm
vangogh 5:03pm
slickrock 8:06pm
smorgasbord 8:15pm

17 now.

Any speculation as to the number of current Tesla owners with Model 3 reservations???

Somebody from Tesla (Straubel, I think) made a comment a couple of months after the M3 reveal that 7% of the reservations were owners. So at least 22k orders with priority at that point. They had announced over 317k orders some months earlier but no update at the time of the comment so you get 22k as a lower bound. But it's likely they were closer to 400k orders at that point which would put the number of orders the commenter was referring to closer to 28k. It's conceivable that the fraction of owners increased after that time, but since there were probably only about another 100k orders placed since that point it couldn't be higher than that, and is probably a lot lower.

So basically, if all the owners take first-available then they won't get to non-owners until late in the first quarter. Of course, a lot of owners will hold out for the smaller battery or for AWD but still, you probably won't see non-owner configurations starting until at least late Jan.

It remains to be seen how rigorously they are sticking to their indicated priorities - some of the people being offered configurations seem to have place their orders much later than others. It's possible that they are including prioritization criteria that haven't been mentioned in public, or that the priority has a large component of randomness, but given that they were pushing ownership as a way to get your model 3 earlier it seems likely that they will offer configuration to 100% of eligible (U.S. based) owners before the first non-owners get the chance.

This is the first I’ve seen this mentioned. Is that part of the ordering process? You need to send them scanned copies of drivers license and insurance? If so I’ll scan mine now so I have copies ready to go!
While I'd like to think I'm special, nope. :) I think it was the fact I'm an owner & reserved first day - def others received an invite before I did.

View attachment 262053
while you already meet the “specialness” criteria to get an invitation yesterday, that doesn’t preclude you from being “extra special” ;)

This is the first I’ve seen this mentioned. Is that part of the ordering process? You need to send them scanned copies of drivers license and insurance? If so I’ll scan mine now so I have copies ready to go!
You'll need to upload the docs to your MyTesla account prior to taking delivery. But you don't need those for the ordering process. Only a credit card :).

• Informative
Reactions: S3XY and PoitNarf
So basically, if all the owners take first-available then they won't get to non-owners until late in the first quarter. Of course, a lot of owners will hold out for the smaller battery or for AWD but still, you probably won't see non-owner configurations starting until at least late Jan....

Early California line waiter non-owner still seeing December-February delivery estimate. Obviously depends on the production ramp, and how many current owners either don't get the LR-PUP or just cancel their orders.

RT

I can smell a SeekingLies article which sees a big negative in this -

'Opening up the configuration for general public so soon when they are still banging and making the cars by hand means only one thing - most employees have cancelled their orders, especially the ones who have lost faith in their company making quality cars'

BINGO. I called it first. SeekingLies article today from our famous FUDster, and the one who comes up with all kind of silly 'Tesla killer' stories

Why Didn't Tesla's Employees Eat Their Own Model 3 Cooking?

Tesla sent out emails to non-employees asking to configure Model 3 for delivery in second half of December.

But with so few - 367 by end-October and perhaps little over 1,000 by December - employees having taken delivery, why so soon?

In other words, did Tesla only have little over 1,000 employee Model 3 deposits, out of 33,000 employees? That would be way below expectations.

Did employees cancel their deposits because they know something about the Model 3 that the rest of us don’t?

It doesn’t make sense for employees to not take the first version of the Model 3 available, for tax credit and other “early market premium” reasons.

BINGO. I called it first. SeekingLies article today from our famous FUDster, and the one who comes up with all kind of silly 'Tesla killer' stories
You nailed it!

I bet a lot of the employees are waiting for some of the same options that many of the reservations holders are waiting for. I know a couple of local employees who are waiting for the SR battery. Others are waiting for AWD.

Reactions: 1 person
I can definitely say that they're not prioritizing based on early ownership :(
Sure they are, everyone that received an invite yesterday was a prior owner. However, "all the invites went to prior owners" is not the same as saying that "all the prior owners got invites". They still factor in location and time of reservation in some way. And, even then, there will be some people who are pretty much equal so it may just be luck of the draw at that point.

I think they are trying to get those people closest to the factory first. Best chance to beat the 12/31 cutoff for 4th quarter deliveries. I would do the same thing.
They said, last year, that initial deliveries would be closest to the factory so that they would be easier to correct any issues that might crop up. Timing and end of the quarter may have something to do with it, but it's probably mostly for ease of maintenance, if needed.

Some have said this might just be a stunt to be able to say they are delivering to non-employees. Kinda like the July unveil when they called Beta testing "production". Let's hope that is wrong, and they will begin putting out order emails to a dozen a day or so. At least they can't make anyone sign NDAs anymore.

Does not seem like anyone is getting "order" emails today...
If the past is any indicator then they send out invites in batches, not a daily trickle. They probably do that to give people the chance to get their email, check out the configurator, think about things, and make a decision. That way they can adjust the number of the next batch of invites up or down accordingly. Also, keep in mind that, this is still early in the ramp up process so it's likely that they may have only sent out a couple hundred invites. Maybe next week or two weeks from now it'll be a thousand, then a couple thousand a week later. It's still very early in the process so before people start feeling slighted and lied to they should just take a deep breath and give it some time.

Sure they are, everyone that received an invite yesterday was a prior owner. However, "all the invites went to prior owners" is not the same as saying that "all the prior owners got invites". They still factor in location and time of reservation in some way. And, even then, there will be some people who are pretty much equal so it may just be luck of the draw at that point.

The quote was talking about early ownership and you are talking about prior ownership, so you are talking about something completely different. Early ownership means that you bought a roadster or early Model S (or at I believe the discussion mentioned owning a Tesla for at least 3 years).

Reactions: jhs_7645
The quote was talking about early ownership and you are talking about prior ownership, so you are talking about something completely different. Early ownership means that you bought a roadster or early Model S (or at I believe the discussion mentioned owning a Tesla for at least 3 years).
Ahh, ok, I thought the OP was referring to prior ownership. If he really meant "early" then, no, they aren't prioritizing based on that, at least not any more than any other owner gets.

Reactions: jhs_7645
Somebody from Tesla (Straubel, I think) made a comment a couple of months after the M3 reveal that 7% of the reservations were owners. So at least 22k orders with priority at that point
Do we know how many of the 7% are US owners? Non-US owners will not get cars until export configurations start to be built sometime in late 2018 as I understand it.