Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla owner configurations begin

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I resemble that remark. ;) (And nice to meet you at the Get Amped test drive event in 2012!)

Haven't seen the invite yet, but that's a by design on my part -- I didn't expect the tax credit to be legislated out of existence so I was aiming for more than 10,000 cars to be finished before ordering one to replace my wife's Jetta and purposely signed up later. The current tax credit situation does change things; less incentive to get the LR version, more incentive to get the dual-drive later next year.

Ah we live in interesting times.
The elimination of the tax credit will also change my purchasing decision. I placed my order on 3/31 at the dealer in Salt Lake City and am now showing delivery date of December to Feb. It seems pretty likely that I will not see the car until February, the earliest. So, if the tax credit is gone, I will wait and order the dual motor for delivery presumably at the end of 2018 or early 2019.

Does anyone know how many employee Model 3's were built? I read somewhere that Tesla has a total employment (including Space X and Solar) of 30,000. If only 10% of those employees purchase a Model 3 that would mean production of 3,000 cars before any would start going to the public at large. Yet it seems that Tesla was only around 1,000 built when we saw the configurator opened up for the general public.. I guess my figures must be wrong and if so I'm surprised at how few employees must have ordered the Model 3.

Does anyone know how many employee Model 3's were built? I read somewhere that Tesla has a total employment (including Space X and Solar) of 30,000. If only 10% of those employees purchase a Model 3 that would mean production of 3,000 cars before any would start going to the public at large. Yet it seems that Tesla was only around 1,000 built when we saw the configurator opened up for the general public.. I guess my figures must be wrong and if so I'm surprised at how few employees must have ordered the Model 3.

I'm suspect a lot of employees would prefer a different configuration than what is currently available... short range battery, other-than-black interior, dual motor, performance, etc.

• Informative
Reactions: RenMan68 and DR61
Figured out the kink in the Tesla delivery slowdown.
The statement on the My Tesla page is...

"As your delivery date approaches, we will contact you to review documentation, pay your final balance, and accept delivery of your Model 3."

It's very nice that they will pay for your car's final balance - but then they take delivery of your car. Thus all the parking lots full of M3's.

Data point: SoCal current owner line waiter who reserved in Costa Mesa around 11am. I've had "Standard Battery" selected for months. My "First Production" estimate still says Nov-Jan. No email but I'm pretty sure if I had selected "First Production" I would have gotten one by now. I'm not going to change it just to check just in case it makes me lose my place in line for the SB.

Congrats to everyone!

• Informative
Reactions: EinSV
But I mean...it seems only a very small percentage of current owners will take delivery this year. While all employee cars for first production already got their 3 or will get it before the end of the year.

Yup.

The non-employees will get cars made with more refined manufacturing and assembly. It's been getting dialed in and automated more using the employee cars. The cars coming off the line each day are probably a tiny bit better than the ones that came off the line the day before. To me, that's a good thing for the non-employees and a silver lining for having to wait.

The delay in getting to configure (pretending to be a little on topic here) would matter less if we knew the federal tax credit weren't at risk with the new tax bill. So, if you haven't already, please contact your Senators and Congressman/Congresswoman and share your thoughts. I have, and it actually really does make a difference when lots of people do that. Oh, and remember to vote too!!!

Reactions: preilly44
HA, Sure NADA would love it of only independent franchise dealers could be dealers.

That's the whole point. They are wrong.

Try to find something substantive and interesting to add to the conversation, not fighting against both the ordinary use of "dealer" and the technical legal use of the term, both of which are inconsistent with you and your friends at NADA.

You are correct. For example, in Missouri Tesla is issued a dealership license and is considered both the manufacturer and dealer. The term "dealer" is most certainly appropriate for their "stores" in Missouri.

Ordered in first few minutes online 3/31 and previous S owner. Got our invite this weekend. How long do we have to make the decision to move forward or defer?

Just to clarify, you reserved online, not at a Tesla store, and received your config invite? If so that's very surprising since I do not believe all of the existing owners living in CA that reserved in-store have received their config invite yet.

Just to clarify, you reserved online, not at a Tesla store, and received your config invite? If so that's very surprising since I do not believe all of the existing owners living in CA that reserved in-store have received their config invite yet.

I waited in line in Dublin, CA. Am an existing owner (x2!) since 2013 and still haven't received an invite. Doesn't make sense.