Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla owners are 50% less likely to crash their EV than their other cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
electrek.co/2022/05/27/tesla-owners-less-likely-crash-than-their-other-cars

Probably reported in another (non UK) forum, but thought it might be of passing interest to Brits

"Tesla owners who also drive another vehicle are 50% less likely to have an accident in their Tesla compared to in their other vehicles, according to an interesting new study looking at EV drivers who drive multiple vehicles.

The study is coming from Cambridge Mobile Telematics, which collects telematics data from millions of vehicles.

At the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety Charging Into an Electrified Future Conference this week, the group released findings from a study of how behaviors and safety change for electric vehicle drivers when they drive their EVs compared to any other vehicle.

Interestingly, EV drivers are much less likely to crash in their EV than in their other vehicles, but there’s a big discrepancy between brands.

For example, the study found that Tesla owners are about 50% less likely to crash their EV than any other vehicle they operate while it’s the opposite for Porsche EV owners."

0x0-Group_04.jpg

Featured Image Courtesy of Tesla, Inc.

Last edited by a moderator:
How did Cambridge get the data ?
How was cause determined ?
Through their apps that collect “safe driving” metrics. Similar to how safe driver feature works in Tesla. They can do it all through the phone. They can tell if you were likely in an accident. App also asks for confirmation and can handle claims as well. They sell their apps and IP to insurance companies.

I’d like to see how many samples they had.

Need to be careful with conclusions.

I tend to save my nice car (my S) for trips. My less nice car for errands around town. So for me it only proves that accidents statistically are closer to home.

Also My “other car” might not have the same level of crash mitigation. So they are comparing apples and oranges.

• Informative
Reactions: SageBrush
Through their apps that collect “safe driving” metrics. Similar to how safe driver feature works in Tesla. They can do it all through the phone. They can tell if you were likely in an accident. App also asks for confirmation and can handle claims as well. They sell their apps and IP to insurance companies.

Ahh ...

I was car insurance shopping recently and noticed that most were offering monitored driving for potential discounts. Thanks for connecting the dots. Compared to Tesla, that kind of monitoring is primitive and I'd say limited to gps and speed/acceleration. These drivers are also self-selected.
I like the idea of using the same driver as his/her own control, but the attempt to assign cause is dubious outside of speeding.

Ahh ...

I was car insurance shopping recently and noticed that most were offering monitored driving for potential discounts. Thanks for connecting the dots. Compared to Tesla, that kind of monitoring is primitive and I'd say limited to gps and speed/acceleration. These drivers are also self-selected.
I like the idea of using the same driver as his/her own control, but the attempt to assign cause is dubious outside of speeding.
The only thing the phone can’t do well that Tesla claims to use Is following to close. One heavy thing CMT and their insurance partners use is Speeding. Which Tesla doesn’t use. And we know how well Tesla’s follow to close works. CMT has Camera based systems, dedicated hardware systems you leave in the car and stand alone phone based. But the primary is the phone. You’d be surprised what they can extract from sensors on the phone.

The car was travelling in a 30 zone (although drivers do travel much faster) and then skidded (tire marks on road) into a 20 zone and straight into the wall. Its intention was never the 20 zone (or the wall), but to continue along the 30 zone :rolleyes:. The wall was in good shape before this accident.

The only thing the phone can’t do well that Tesla claims to use Is following to close. One heavy thing CMT and their insurance partners use is Speeding. Which Tesla doesn’t use. And we know how well Tesla’s follow to close works. CMT has Camera based systems, dedicated hardware systems you leave in the car and stand alone phone based. But the primary is the phone. You’d be surprised what they can extract from sensors on the phone.

My wife made a couple of astute comments when we talked about this

1. I doubt if CMT knows if the phone owner is driving or is a passenger
2. The CMT phone app probably knows when the phone is being used for texting or calling

Coming up (my speculation): offers by insurance companies to reduce rates if a phone with an Etoh sensor is carried.

2. The CMT phone app probably knows when the phone is being used for texting or calling

Coming up (my speculation): offers by insurance companies to reduce rates if a phone with an Etoh sensor is carried.
Some insurance companies allow the user to change a trip to “I was not driving”.

They have beacons that stay in the car paired to the responsible owners car. If owner isn’t driving they are still responsible.

It’s a huge business. It’s also based on a lot of statistics. One bad drive here and there won’t kill your discount. They can detect “cheating”.

How would it different those things being voice controlled? I sometimes call or text people by talking, usually with my watch.

they score drivers in the US before they let them have the latest FSD, which is a bit of an irony considering the drivers that drive well are the ones allowed to use software that does the driving for them, so you'd have thought the reverse logic would be most benefiicial giving the rubbish drivers the option to not drive

A bit like the Auto Steer thing that keep you in your lane ... until you fail to touch the steering wheel when asked, at which point it TURNS OFF!!

It just seems to me like it's be better at that point to leave it on

A bit like the Auto Steer thing that keep you in your lane ... until you fail to touch the steering wheel when asked, at which point it TURNS OFF!!

It just seems to me like it's be better at that point to leave it on
A good point. Let it assume you are incapacitated ( stroke or heart attack) and take the car safely to the road side or hard shoulder and park with hazards on. Maybe place a call to the emergency services🤔.
You can tell by this suggestion which end of my life span I am at, Wow! Safely in a Tesla;
way to go! 😀

electrek.co/2022/05/27/tesla-owners-less-likely-crash-than-their-other-cars

Probably reported in another (non UK) forum, but thought it might be of passing interest to Brits

"Tesla owners who also drive another vehicle are 50% less likely to have an accident in their Tesla compared to in their other vehicles, according to an interesting new study looking at EV drivers who drive multiple vehicles.

The study is coming from Cambridge Mobile Telematics, which collects telematics data from millions of vehicles.

At the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety Charging Into an Electrified Future Conference this week, the group released findings from a study of how behaviors and safety change for electric vehicle drivers when they drive their EVs compared to any other vehicle.

Interestingly, EV drivers are much less likely to crash in their EV than in their other vehicles, but there’s a big discrepancy between brands.

For example, the study found that Tesla owners are about 50% less likely to crash their EV than any other vehicle they operate while it’s the opposite for Porsche EV owners."

View attachment 810101

Featured Image Courtesy of Tesla, Inc.

A pity these stats are not incorporated in the insurance quoting engines.
Could it be possible that, for Teslas, the underwriters simply think of a number and double it?
Heaven forbid!

A pity these stats are not incorporated in the insurance quoting engines.
Could it be possible that, for Teslas, the underwriters simply think of a number and double it?
Heaven forbid!
Tesla reports accidents where the safety restraint or airbag goes off, the baseline figure for all cars is those accidents reported to the police. Having had someone drive into me on the motorway without the airbags going off I'd be in the NHTSA figures but not the Tesla ones (not that they include US roads, which are pretty bad by western standards anyway).

Then you get into the world of driver demographics, age of car, Autopilot is used on safer roads at safer times. The numbers aren't comparable.

As for insurance companies, Direct Line used to give a 10% discount if you had autopilot. I think they've stopped this or have taken the view its on pretty much all Teslas.

Reactions: Wattsisname
Tesla reports accidents where the safety restraint or airbag goes off, the baseline figure for all cars is those accidents reported to the police. Having had someone drive into me on the motorway without the airbags going off I'd be in the NHTSA figures but not the Tesla ones (not that they include US roads, which are pretty bad by western standards anyway).

Then you get into the world of driver demographics, age of car, Autopilot is used on safer roads at safer times. The numbers aren't comparable.

As for insurance companies, Direct Line used to give a 10% discount if you had autopilot. I think they've stopped this or have taken the view its on pretty much all Teslas.
It seems that age, despite nearly thirty years accident free, plays a major role in premium calculation.
Hey ho! I suppose the stats support it.