Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Owners Can Edit Maps to Improve Summon Routes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was a denier... but I have to come back and say I was wrong.

I haven't figured out what features that it understands, but it does get general direction from parking aisle directions and it does honor "garden" as "do not drive here". It does not appear to understand "Kurb" as it will route right over that part.

It also doesn't look like it directly follows the mapped parking aisle. I see it arcing around the lines in the planning and zig-zagging when it is actually driving.

It would be nice to have an actual list.

I do believe it isn't a "x day delay" for changes to be applied, I believe they are synced at some interval. Perhaps 2x month?

This is pretty much the same problem I have at my work parking lot - I've added Service Roads to the parking lot a couple weeks ago, but the car still ignores them and wants to go straight through parking spots. Looks like some OSM changes get ignored and others (like one way direction) get applied. Still could be timing meaning some changes get applied sooner than others...

Replying to my own message.

Today I see that my changes got applied. The planed route seems to follow my added Service Roads.
It took between 10 to 12 days.

Thanks for the update! Did you use a combination of parking aisles and service roads? Have you seen it now ignore open parking spots as potential paths?

I used Service Roads only.
It's "L" shaped parking lot that did not have service roads before (it was just a Parking Lot area). If the car was located at one end and was summoned to another end, then the planned route would just cut through the parking spots instead of following letter L shape. Now the planned route goes nicely along the service roads (L shaped) making a smooth 90 degree turn.

Anyone know how to map the rooftop level of a parking garage? I can't connect the parking aisles to other roads because it descends down a ramp into the interior of the garage and so I left it disconnected where it enters the building, not sure if this is okay to do. I get warnings about having orphaned roadways.

upload_2019-11-19_15-26-57.png

Here's my OSM experience: I added parking aisles and "gardens" to a parking lot. The next time I was able to drive to that lot was about 3 days later, and when I zoomed in the parking aisles (but not gardens) were visible. Conversely, I updated a road that doesn't exist as well as adding several max speeds, and those changes haven't propagated after two weeks. My Model 3 keeps trying to drive 55mph on my small, residential street, and it keeps trying to direct me through the woods over a road segment that hasn't existed for years.

Here's my OSM experience: I added parking aisles and "gardens" to a parking lot. The next time I was able to drive to that lot was about 3 days later, and when I zoomed in the parking aisles (but not gardens) were visible. Conversely, I updated a road that doesn't exist as well as adding several max speeds, and those changes haven't propagated after two weeks. My Model 3 keeps trying to drive 55mph on my small, residential street, and it keeps trying to direct me through the woods over a road segment that hasn't existed for years.
I believe the consensus seems to be that OSM data is currently only used for Smart Summon. Street info and speed limit data is taken from Google Maps.

I believe the consensus seems to be that OSM data is currently only used for Smart Summon. Street info and speed limit data is taken from Google Maps.

There must be a 3rd server at play in there somewhere. The street I edited hasn't existed for years and is correct in Google. However, every time I route that direction, Tesla tells me to use that non-existent segment. The speed limit data is harder to track since it's relatively new in Google Maps, although it's been in Google-owned Waze for many years. In any event, I've become hooked on OSM editing just like I used to be hooked on Waze years ago :)

Anyone know how to map the rooftop level of a parking garage? I can't connect the parking aisles to other roads because it descends down a ramp into the interior of the garage and so I left it disconnected where it enters the building, not sure if this is okay to do. I get warnings about having orphaned roadways.

You might want to look into the "level" tag - Key:level - OpenStreetMap Wiki .
The online editor "iD" might not be easy to use for multi-level mapping, which might lead you to JOSM - JOSM .

Note that the level (ha) to which Tesla might use multi-level mapped parking buildings is unknown. Given how few are mapped, I wouldn't be surprised if they did not use that level (ha) of detail yet.

• Informative
  • Funny
Reactions: eli_ and DopeGhoti
There must be a 3rd server at play in there somewhere. The street I edited hasn't existed for years and is correct in Google. However, every time I route that direction, Tesla tells me to use that non-existent segment. The speed limit data is harder to track since it's relatively new in Google Maps, although it's been in Google-owned Waze for many years. In any event, I've become hooked on OSM editing just like I used to be hooked on Waze years ago :)
I believe Tesla packages up the mapping data and has it download locally so it will work even without a data connection (I've seen at least one fairly large map update on my Model 3). So who knows when they pull updated data from Google.

Can confirm the car stores at least some data. If I end up parked deep in my employer's near-Faraday-cage-like garage, I'll have a "no connectivity" icon where the LTE one typically is, and routing me home will have an advisory header saying something to the effect of "Routing with no live traffic data". But the map still works, including the birds-eye tiles.

You might want to look into the "level" tag - Key:level - OpenStreetMap Wiki .
The online editor "iD" might not be easy to use for multi-level mapping, which might lead you to JOSM - JOSM .

Note that the level (ha) to which Tesla might use multi-level mapped parking buildings is unknown. Given how few are mapped, I wouldn't be surprised if they did not use that level (ha) of detail yet.

Also I discovered if you mark the point where the rooftop aisles enter the building with a "garage entrance/exit" tag then the connectivity warnings disappear in the OSM editor.

Here's my OSM experience: I added parking aisles and "gardens" to a parking lot. The next time I was able to drive to that lot was about 3 days later, and when I zoomed in the parking aisles (but not gardens) were visible.
I have to take this back. When I zoom in on my mapped parking lot, it's showing me Google's parking aisles instead of OSM. I know this because the geometry is slightly different in OSM than Google. I don't have FSD so can't check how it looks with summon.

I have to take this back. When I zoom in on my mapped parking lot, it's showing me Google's parking aisles instead of OSM. I know this because the geometry is slightly different in OSM than Google. I don't have FSD so can't check how it looks with summon.
The car display uses google. The app display (iOS) uses Apple. Summon uses, but doesn’t show, OSM synced to some point in time.

So I have some questions...

I downloaded the Mapillary app and have been using it to record while driving then uploading those images when I get home.

1) Should I keep recording my same drive to work or is that not necessary?

2) Is Mapillary updating OpenStreetMaps with these pictures/data? Or am I only helping Mapillary and not OSM?

3) Is Mapillary the app I should be using or does OSM have an app that gives them the data faster/better?

Thanks!

Matt

I downloaded the Mapillary app and have been using it to record while driving then uploading those images when I get home.

2) Is Mapillary updating OpenStreetMaps with these pictures/data? Or am I only helping Mapillary and not OSM?

3) Is Mapillary the app I should be using or does OSM have an app that gives them the data faster/better?

Thanks!

Matt

I’m not familiar with that app, but I was under the impression, Tesla did not use assisted maps for streets. Only parking lots.

To level set, I will point out that OpenStreetMap is essentially a database of geo-spacial data being maintained by a community of primarily volunteers. There are a few officially supported tools and services for maintaining this database; openstreetmap.org, the API, the reference map rendered with Mapnik, the wiki, the foundation, etc. Beyond this, the community has created their own tools and services.

The OpenStreetMap Wiki offers more information about about Mapillary. Mapillary does not make direct contributions to OpenStreetMap. They offer photos, GPS traces and AI object interpretations that can be used by OpenStreetMap contributors, without license restrictions (unlike Google Street View, etc).

Besides the photos, and detected objects, the most direct benefit for mapping parking lots would be collecting a GPS trace of the parking area. This then can be used to correct for the areal image offset problems caused by perspective. I would just drive the parameter of the lot. Then when mapping turn on the public traces to be sure the imagery lines up with the trace before adding to map.

As to your specific questions:
  1. Though Mapillary does not seem to mind duplication, what is really needed is different camera angles, capturing changes over time. As there were no license unencumbered street-level imagery in my area, I have made it my mission to at least capture a single pass on every road in my city. In this case, something is better than nothing.
  2. The photos are available to OpenStreetMap contributors to use without license fears. Also, some apps and services provide an interface to show these images. For instance, when the Mapillary app is installed, the Android app OsmAnd+ shows Mapillary images near a location, much like Google Maps will. So then, Mapillary could be said to contribute to OpenStreetMap contributors, which I feel is a win-win.
  3. I have described the Mapillary app as being the most energy hungry and buggy app I have ever allowed on my phone. There are options, a similar service with an app is OpenStreetView. Something I hope to try is to upload Tesla Cam video using Mapillary's API scripts. To do this would require separately capturing a GPS trace, which is later matched by time to the video, and having to press the Tesla Cam Save video button every 59 minutes, to prevent the video from rolling off.

As a side note, one of the products that Mapillary sells is curated/tagged photo data sets for training AI models. I have a suspicion that Tesla may be using this data.

Last edited:
When Smart Summon first came out, it was a failure at our local mall parking lot. At the time I didn't think much of it until I came across this thread. I was able to edit the parking lot. The editing is kind of addicting and calming. For the longest, I never had a chance to give the edits a try until this weekend. I was blown away how well the car handled the same parking lot that originally it failed in.

When Smart Summon first came out, it was a failure at our local mall parking lot. At the time I didn't think much of it until I came across this thread. I was able to edit the parking lot. The editing is kind of addicting and calming. For the longest, I never had a chance to give the edits a try until this weekend. I was blown away how well the car handled the same parking lot that originally it failed in.

Glad to see it worked out for you. OSM data to some degree is used by a whole slew of maps. I’ve seen edits I’ve made show up on Apple Maps and Waze.

Reactions: Darmie
Since the latest navigation update, I was wondering if anyone has noticed if their "open street map" edits have made smart summon better or not.

I live on a private street but smart summon always says it's a public road and cancels, I've edited it to "destination only" before the nav update but still can't use smart summon. I've now re-edited to all private for the road and will see if that makes the difference, hoping I don't have to wait until the next navigation maps update which could be...next year?