Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Owners Club of Alberta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow gpetti, thank you so much for your reply.
As a new in the Tesla world, I would love to have owners advices and thank you to whoever will help me in pursuit my dream.

So like a said, Im not that technical or expert but I know something, I love this car and I love to feel the ponch when I push the accelerator.
In fact I need you guys advice.
I'm currently looking for a model S P85D which is easy to find for sale.. Not the same for the P85D ludicrous.. Sorry for my ignorance but ludicrous makes also the car faster, correct?
Let's say that I buy the P85D that comes without the following and I would like to add some upgrade, as a autopilot, ludicrous speed upgrade, premium upgrade package, ultra high fidelity sound... etc, do you think it will be possible to upgrade?...
As far as I know all P85Ds come with Autopilot hardware. So whether Autopilot was originally activated or not, you can always enable Autopilot later since it's just a software upgrade.

There was never a P80 but there was a P85. In fact there was:

85 - non performance rear wheel drive
P85 - Performance rear wheel drive
P85+ - Performance rear wheel drive with various driving enhancements and extra features
P85D - Equivalent to P85+ in most ways (though the seats were different) but with Dual motors, i.e. AWD
85D - Non performance dual motors
P85DL - P85D with ludicrous mode (improved throughput due to enhanced fuse and contractors).
Hello gpetti, one question for the experts:
-Which model you guys recommend me to start with? P85, P85+ or P85D?
-Which year is better between 2013 and 2014?

If I purchase the P85 2013, will Tesla be able to update and make it like a P85DL?

Thank you everyone

Hello gpetti, one question for the experts:
-Which model you guys recommend me to start with? P85, P85+ or P85D?
-Which year is better between 2013 and 2014?

If I purchase the P85 2013, will Tesla be able to update and make it like a P85DL?

Thank you everyone
I can't really answer your first question because it depends on you preferences and your money situation. In my opinion, P85D is the best for Calgary and if you don't prefer rear wheel drive and a larger frunk, possibly the best overall; however, the other two are excellent cars and you will find much better deals on them. There are a few other differences, e.g. seat types that could influence your decision. For example, the P85+ has red piping around the original Tesla seat style. Some people may prefer that look.
I also believe that in general, newer is better as Tesla is constantly evolving the cars. One benefit of looking at earlier versions (besides price) is that sometimes feature combinations are discontinued - or even colours. Between 2013 and 2014 I'm not aware of anything in particular that might encourage someone to go after a 2013 (besides price).
The only car that you will be able to upgrade to ludicrous is a P85D (or P90D).

I can't really answer your first question because it depends on you preferences and your money situation. In my opinion, P85D is the best for Calgary and if you don't prefer rear wheel drive and a larger frunk, possibly the best overall; however, the other two are excellent cars and you will find much better deals on them. There are a few other differences, e.g. seat types that could influence your decision. For example, the P85+ has red piping around the original Tesla seat style. Some people may prefer that look.
I also believe that in general, newer is better as Tesla is constantly evolving the cars. One benefit of looking at earlier versions (besides price) is that sometimes feature combinations are discontinued - or even colours. Between 2013 and 2014 I'm not aware of anything in particular that might encourage someone to go after a 2013 (besides price).

Thank you again for all your time, we maybe we will meet on the Sep 11th. Ciao

I'll chime in as well that it is claimed that Tesla makes some 20+ changes to their car per week. So VIN number is far more important than model year. Some of the changes that have occurred DURING the 2013 year are heated/folding side mirrors, higher resolution instrument cluster, fog lights, and a tow hook. Some features that were added DURING 2014 are wheel-well insulation for quieter ride, auto pilot hardware along with upgraded TPMS sensors (individual pressure reading instead of threshold status), etc. You will need to do research to determine the exact VIN number that each of these changes occurred at, but it's out there with some digging. From there, you'll have a precise idea of what you're getting.

Personally, we needed to be able to haul giant strollers, like the City Select (dual child stroller), so the RWD P85+ was a perfect fit for us. I can tell you from personal experience that with good tires, even in -20C with iced over roads, the car still has plenty of get up and go. If you want one set of tires all year, the ONLY option is the Nokian WRG3 245/45/R19 tires. If you run two sets, there are a number of combinations depending on budget and if you have dual drive or RWD. I eventually plan to make a post on that.

Signature Red sighted at Home Envy furnishing in Windermere, Edmonton.

Attachments

• 20160810_161207.jpg
    20160810_161207.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 67
Saw two Model X in the wild today - one at the Revelstoke charger and one on the hwy from Invermere to Golden.

Kind of pales to the hundreds we saw in Freemont but still cool to see them in our back yard.

Met some great owners as well.
It was nice meeting you! It's funny, I think we saw that same Model X at Revelstoke. They must have been staying over night or something. It was the first time my wife got to see one, albeit only from the outside as we were leaving.