Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Owners in Alberta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I last looked at wheels and tires, I bought tires from tire-rack because the local options sucked, but I bought the tires at Kal-Tire as it was cheaper than doing it all at tire-rack.
Sorry, I meant to say I bought RIMS at tire-rack because the local options sucked, but bought the tires at Kal-Tire.

Stupid forum software not allowing a simple exit to fix my mistake!

Sorry, I meant to say I bought RIMS at tire-rack because the local options sucked, but bought the tires at Kal-Tire.

Stupid forum software not allowing a simple exit to fix my mistake!
I got everything from Kaltire. They seem to be able to order any kind of rim from any manufacturer, and they price beat my best quote. I like that should I have a large puncture, I can have road side assistance take the car to the closest Kal tire for a free repair.

I got everything from Kaltire. They seem to be able to order any kind of rim from any manufacturer, and they price beat my best quote. I like that should I have a large puncture, I can have road side assistance take the car to the closest Kal tire for a free repair.
Yeah, if I were to need to do it again today I'd definitely just do it all at Kal, at the time I did it though the combination of Kal and tire rack made sense. I'm glad Kal is now able to get the right rims.

Reactions: gpetti
When I last looked at wheels and tires, I bought tires from tire-rack because the local options sucked, but I bought the tires at Kal-Tire as it was cheaper than doing it all at tire-rack.

That said though, Kal-Tire now has some good Tesla options (at least for MS) and at cheaper prices than Tire-Rack, so to do it again I'd do it all through Kal-Tire.

As for TPMS, Kal might be able to do something there, if not, tire-rack was cheapest last I checked, but it fluctuates. Also note that the stock TPMS sensors DO work in the Rials that Tire-Rack sells, no matter how many times they claim they don't.
Thanks. Is it possible that your car has the old style TPMS? The TPMS that came with my Rials worked on my original 2014 P85+ But when I upgraded to my P85D I had to get new TPMS.

My car has the new TPMS.
Your problem doesn't sound like the TPMS being incompatible with the wheels, but more so that they were incompatible with the car.
That's exactly what I meant. My 2014 worked with old TPMS, my 2015 worked with the new TPMS. I was just asking if your 2014 worked with tire racks TPMS because it was the old type. I guess your car was after the changeover. I bought TPMS from Tesla when I had to upgrade my winters for my P85D.

That's exactly what I meant. My 2014 worked with old TPMS, my 2015 worked with the new TPMS. I was just asking if your 2014 worked with tire racks TPMS because it was the old type. I guess your TPMS
I never tried their TPMS. My point was that they insisted the Tesla TPMS wouldn't work with their rims and I'd have to buy theirs, but they were wrong. The Tesla TPMS work just fine on their rims.

I ended up having the Sottozero's (not the greatest for Calgary apparently) that came with the car, mounted onto TSportline's 19 inch turbines. Sold the stock rims to another nice Alberta Tesla owner. TPMS from the stock rims btw were mounted with Tsportline's rims just fine. Had it done at UrbanX in Calgary. Haven't put the winter wheels on the car yet, so we shall see how things work for the TPMS. According to TSportline's site, the rims are special made just for Model S and the Tesla TPMS should work fine.

Tsportline rims look nice, but they're twice the cost of all the competing ones that look identical, so I couldn't justify it. I went with the Rial Lugano rims, and I have no complaints.
If I were to do it again I'd go with the Replika ones though as they're now cheaper than the Rials and Kal tire can get them so you only need to deal with one shop instead of 2

Kal tire has Nokian. Tire rack does not.
I decided to go with the WR G3 20" staggered setup same as Tesla's 20" for the MX
From what I could find the R2s only come in 19"
I ordered 20" wheels with TMPS from Tire Rack. Saves about $500 when compared to Tesla's 20" offering
Any particular reason you didn't want to go with 19" wheels (round). Tesla appears to offer 4x19/8.5 wheels and 4x265/50/19 for winter. Not sure what the 19" will look like.

Any particular reason you didn't want to go with 19" wheels (round). Tesla appears to offer 4x19/8.5 wheels and 4x265/50/19 for winter. Not sure what the 19" will look like.
I was concerned that going from 22" to 19" wheels was too much of a change to the look of the MX. With black wheels maybe not so much but we ordered silver.
Also the Nokian WR G3 are all season, good for pulling a trailer in the summer. The tires arrived yesterday and tread ilooks fairly aggressive to me for snow conditions. That and all wheel drive should be good for the winter

I was concerned that going from 22" to 19" wheels was too much of a change to the look of the MX. With black wheels maybe not so much but we ordered silver.
Also the Nokian WR G3 are all season, good for pulling a trailer in the summer. The tires arrived yesterday and tread ilooks fairly aggressive to me for snow conditions. That and all wheel drive should be good for the winter
Thanks. Mine are silver but I'm using 20" so maybe 19" wouldn't be much of an adjustment.

Thanks. Mine are silver but I'm using 20" so maybe 19" wouldn't be much of an adjustment.
As a note, not all 19" rims fit the Model S. The suspension hardware under the brake calliper doesn't afford much room for 19" rims. I tried Niche Targa rims and they did not fit. That's another reason I chose to work exclusively with Kaltire, since I would've had to deal with selling the rims if I had ordered them online.

Cool article from Metro recently: Calgary planning for more electric vehicles | Metro News

MacNaughton said the city is looking at ways to encourage new developments to include charging infrastructure.

As for Subasic's concern about condo boards standing in the way of installing chargers, MacNaughton said they're looking at how other cities are dealing with that.

“Some cities have looked at saying if the resident is willing to provide the cost of installation, the condo board would have to accommodate that.”

The Calgary Parking Authority is also taking some small steps towards a possible electric future.

There's currently a public charging station in the authority's city hall parkade, but more are coming according to Mike Derbyshire, general manager of CPA.

“By the first week of October - our team will be installing an electric charging station in our five other parkades,” he said.

• Informative
Reactions: Lon12
So this coming weekend, @m1ker and I, as part of the Electric Vehicle Association of Alberta (EVAA) are hosting two events in relation National Drive Electric Week. These events are a way to get the word out to the public that EVs are here in Alberta, and yes, they work in our winters! If you would like to participate with your EV (Tesla or other), all are welcome! It is basically an EV show and shine. Also, please consider sharing these events with your friends/family/social network. Part of our challenge is getting the word out, and we'd appreciate any help in that regard. I actually thought I had posted here already, but in the rush of getting things organized, realized I missed TMC!

Calgary: Saturday Sept 17th, 10-4pm, NE corner of IKEA parking lot. $10 registration fee for EVs (helps cover insurance). More info and to register: http://calgary.albertaEV.ca

Edmonton: Sunday Sept 18th, Noon-4pm, Rock N Wash (4803 55 Ave NW). City of Edmonton is sponsoring, and they have covered the registration fee!. More info and to register: http://edmonton.albertaEV.ca. Also, if you come in an EV, arrive early and treat yourself to a FREE car wash!

Electric Vehicle Association of Alberta (EVAA) National Drive Electric Week Calgary Pictures:
IMG_3775.JPG
IMG_3791.JPG
IMG_3792.JPG

Any luck with 19" rims?? I will visit Kaltire and enquire as their site only shows 20" rims.
Klasse Motor Sport GT4
Wheel Size: 19X8.5"
Bolt Pattern: 5x120
Offset: 35
Finish: GLOSS BLACK
Kal Tire - Shop - Wheels - Search Results
Kal Tire - Shop - Wheels - Search Results
I had a rethink on this. I'm going to use my existing wheels for winter tires and then buy something different for the summer. Thus I'm looking for 20" now. I've looked into Nokkians and I've been told that (in Canada without special order) if I get R2s I can only get 265s- ie no 275s for the rear or if I get hakk8 I would have to get 275s unless I want studded. It appears that there is no problem going square with these wheels so I'll probably do 4 x 265 R2s. I got an estimate from Kaltire but Tunerworks appears to be $200 less for these tires. I've used them before with good results so I might go that direction.