Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Owners in Alberta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think so. This is what the car showed:
158151.jpg

Yes. Not sure what your concern is? To be clear they are studless tires, in case that was your concern. If memory serves, I got 265s (square) because 275s were only available in studded.
Interesting. I thought the Hakkapeliitta 8 tires came in only studded form. How does it compare in grip to R2's? TBH, I've found my WRG3 to have ample grip for almost every condition Calgary threw at it last winter.

I don't know yet. I only just got them on and they haven't seen any bad conditions yet. Other than that, they don't feel/sound much different than the blizzaks I have on my S. Also I've never driven on R2s. My impression is that they are similar to the R2s. haven't really been able to find any useful explanations yet as generally people assume the R8 means studded.

I don't know yet. I only just got them on and they haven't seen any bad conditions yet. Other than that, they don't feel/sound much different than the blizzaks I have on my S. Also I've never driven on R2s. My impression is that they are similar to the R2s. haven't really been able to find any useful explanations yet as generally people assume the R8 means studded.
Hmm, the more I look online, the more it seems that the R8 is supposed to be a studded tire. I talked to both Kaltire and Tunerworks about this and I have looked at the tire which seems like it could have studs, but doesn't.
On looking at Kaltire's website, it looks like hakka8s can be bought in regular, studded, SUV and SUV studded. Not sure why this isn't widely known, maybe this is a new configuration. I'm also not sure what the difference is between the unstudded 8s and R2s.

My concern with the 8 would be that it isn't a low rolling resistance tire. I wouldn't want that on an electric car, especially if you plan on any long distance driving. The 2 on the other hand is low rolling resistance, so that would be my choice.
As for studded, my understanding is that the 8 is ready to accept studs, but doesn't have them unless you order studded.

I'm also not sure what the difference is between the unstudded 8s and R2s.
Yeah, it is odd. When researching tires, I don't recall seeing any stats for the 8's in non-studded form. Maybe it would be worthwhile to email Nokian about it. If you do, I'd love to see their response.

My concern with the 8 would be that it isn't a low rolling resistance tire. I wouldn't want that on an electric car, especially if you plan on any long distance driving
Do you know that for a fact? It would probably still be more efficient than the turbine rims. Gpetti, does it say "Low rolling resistance" on the sidewall of the tire?

Do you know that for a fact? It would probably still be more efficient than the turbine rims. Gpetti, does it say "Low rolling resistance" on the sidewall of the tire?
According to Nokian, only the R2 is low rolling resistance. (Of their "winter" tires)
I had the 8s (studdlesss) on my last ICE vehicle, great tires, but I did notice an efficiency hit of about 20% (Probably mostly due to colder weather, but I really did feel that the tires contributed as well) whereas with the R2 on my Tesla I notice basically no efficiency change at tire change, (though winter still is less efficient than summer for other reasons)

This is my first post and want to thank everyone for all the great information on this thread so far it has been very helpful. Also want to send a special thanks to Tomanik for responding to a question that I had. Not only did he reply to me very quickly, but also shared with me a lot of other great information.

I will likely be buying a MS in the coming months and am currently spending my time reading and learning as much as I can. While my current car (Lexus LS 460) has been such a solid car (I think I had really only one warranty issue for a front strut I believe) for the last 9 years, I'm starting to think it may be time for a change and the Tesla is really starting to appeal to me.

The question that I have for people at the moment is if people feel the subzero package is really worth it for those of us here in Alberta. I initially thought it was, but after reading through this thread it sounds like there are a few people that don't have the option. Greatly appreciate anyone's thoughts.

Cheers

Just in case it helps anyone and sorry for not adding this in my last post, but I forgot to mention that I am a big fan of Nokian's winter tires and note that we have been using their winter tires on our cars for well over ten years and have been very happy with them in all conditions.

This is my first post and want to thank everyone for all the great information on this thread so far it has been very helpful. Also want to send a special thanks to Tomanik for responding to a question that I had. Not only did he reply to me very quickly, but also shared with me a lot of other great information.

I will likely be buying a MS in the coming months and am currently spending my time reading and learning as much as I can. While my current car (Lexus LS 460) has been such a solid car (I think I had really only one warranty issue for a front strut I believe) for the last 9 years, I'm starting to think it may be time for a change and the Tesla is really starting to appeal to me.

The question that I have for people at the moment is if people feel the subzero package is really worth it for those of us here in Alberta. I initially thought it was, but after reading through this thread it sounds like there are a few people that don't have the option. Greatly appreciate anyone's thoughts.

Cheers
Before our 2013 Model S we had never had heated seats in a vehicle and didn't see the value of them. Reports back then were that the wiper heaters were of little value in real conditions, so we skipped the winter package.

Having said that, our next Model S will have the winter package just to get the heated rear seats. There are usually at least 3 people in the vehcile, and the heated seats are the fastest and most energy efficient way to warm the passengers.

H

Cheers
Hello and welcome!!

Since heated seats are standard in the front it depends on if you need them in the back and if you care about the heated steering wheel. The windshield wiper heat is kind of useless in my opinion. Feel free to join one of our meet ups to ask more questions in person and talk to owners about their experiences.

Greatly appreciate the responses thank you, while I do enjoy my heated steering wheel in my current car, it is something I can easily go without (I go from heated garage to heard garage 80 percent of the time in the winter). My two kids will be in child seats or booster seats for at least another three years and so I don't think the heated rear seats would be all that useful at the moment.

Thanks for your comments as this helps me move a little closer. I will try to keep my eyes open for your upcoming meets and will likely take a trip to the store today to check out a couple of things.

H

Hello and welcome!!

Since heated seats are standard in the front it depends on if you need them in the back and if you care about the heated steering wheel. The windshield wiper heat is kind of useless in my opinion. Feel free to join one of our meet ups to ask more questions in person and talk to owners about their experiences.