Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla P85D CPO for $51K

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Still in the market, but realize it's now 2019 and 2014s are 5 model years old....and 2015 are 4 years old etc and they have high mielage with only a 2yr warranty. To get lower mileage, 4yr warranty, and a 2016 model, it's $64k......So a better value, IMO, is 2016 85D/90Ds....
Dzm

What I believe you're seeing here is a price closer to reality. In the past, due to limited supply and Tesla control over most of inventory, they could prop up prices. However, as they're more focused on Model 3 delivery, had a lot of S's come in from leases, they have not kept this up. Remember, a luxury car typically sells for between 45% and 50% after 3 years. That would put a 2016 P90D that retailed for 130k at 58.5k-65k. That's not taking into account the tax savings/rebates. The other thing that's hitting resale values is the Model 3. It's certainly having an impact for Model S demand. If you don't need the extra space, want the new tech, you can get brand new for the price of a 3-4 year old car. I expect prices to further erode into 2019, especially when a refresh comes in for the Model S. Model X still has limited used inventory and so is still unnaturally high.

• Informative
Reactions: PhilDavid
So with the above in mind... is it best to wait on moving forward on a P85D or P90D, or waiting 6-12mos to possibly save another $5-9k on the asking price?
The flood of P85D's /P90D's coincided with the end of the 3 year leases, this should start to dry up within the next few months and then we should start to see the P100D's coming through. I would think the prices may stabilize here shortly for the 85/90's with the drop off of inventory. As has been pointed out before, a P85D with Exec rear seating is arguably a more luxurious vehicle than a P100D and nearly as quick, for a lot less $$$.

The flood of P85D's /P90D's coincided with the end of the 3 year leases, this should start to dry up within the next few months and then we should start to see the P100D's coming through. I would think the prices may stabilize here shortly for the 85/90's with the drop off of inventory. As has been pointed out before, a P85D with Exec rear seating is arguably a more luxurious vehicle than a P100D and nearly as quick, for a lot less $$$.

If only 85s had the new nose...

How much does MCU1 vs MCU2 affect value? I’ve been very hesitant to buy anything because I can’t get MCU2 for a decent price right now. Not sure if it’s worth it.

]
So with the above in mind... is it best to wait on moving forward on a P85D or P90D, or waiting 6-12mos to possibly save another $5-9k on the asking price?

IMO, now is a good a time as any to jump in. I would set a target and wait patiently for the right vehicle to fall to the right price.

$50k for a loaded P85D is great value in my opinion and that won’t change. It seems most of them bottom out at $50k right now with a few dropping just below.

I say go for it if the price is right, but at the same time, you have the luxury to be patient as lots of inventory on the market.

Good luck!

At the moment I am considering a used 85D (not P - don't need the speed) unless there are other reasons the P is that much better? I've only been researching for a couple weeks and trying find the weak and strong points of the different versions? Are there fewer issues with the P?

At the moment I am considering a used 85D (not P - don't need the speed) unless there are other reasons the P is that much better? I've only been researching for a couple weeks and trying find the weak and strong points of the different versions? Are there fewer issues with the P?

They are close enough, not that big of a difference. I would get the cheapest newest car with the most features. Not work about it being a P or not.

If you don't want the performance thrill, get the 85D (still super fast!) and save about $5-8K. If you look carefully and are patient, you can buy an 85D for the low 40s. With AP! it's probably the best used Tesla value.

Reactions: bhzmark
If you don't want the performance thrill, get the 85D (still super fast!) and save about $5-8K. If you look carefully and are patient, you can buy an 85D for the low 40s. With AP! it's probably the best used Tesla value.
I'm giving myself a few months to find right one and maybe the prices will come down a few k in the meantime.
Are the CPOs that have been listed for months to be avoided, maybe having been rejected by a buyer or two? Is there a sweet spot for time on market?

I'm giving myself a few months to find right one and maybe the prices will come down a few k in the meantime.
Are the CPOs that have been listed for months to be avoided, maybe having been rejected by a buyer or two? Is there a sweet spot for time on market?

They constantly play games with the pricing of cars so the length of time doesn't mean much.

P85Ds are depreciating about $1,000-1,200 a month so in 6 months they should be about $6-8K less than they are now.

Having said that, if you are looking to buy a P85D, the current CPOs for the low 50s are a great buy. Why delay the enjoyment of owning one for 6-8 months more when the current pricing is quite reasonable.

This FULLY LOADED P85D CPO with a 4 year warranty is only $50K. Buy it!

85 kWh Performance Model S 5YJSA1H22EFP65656 | Tesla

They constantly play games with the pricing of cars so the length of time doesn't mean much.

P85Ds are depreciating about $1,000-1,200 a month so in 6 months they should be about $6-8K less than they are now.

Having said that, if you are looking to buy a P85D, the current CPOs for the low 50s are a great buy. Why delay the enjoyment of owning one for 6-8 months more when the current pricing is quite reasonable.

This FULLY LOADED P85D CPO with a 4 year warranty is only $50K. Buy it!

85 kWh Performance Model S 5YJSA1H22EFP65656 | Tesla
Pretty beat up car. Loaded yes. But I have seen cleaner ones for a few $ more.

Reactions: rplace1021