Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Pickup Truck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Love it. Signed up for the buyers list - it would replace this
FJ in river valley.jpg

My dog would love it too

FJ with Dog.jpg

Last edited:
Damn you have a good eye! I can't fit the whole family in one roof top tent. . Kids go on top of the truck in "daddy's treehouse" and my wife and I on the trailer in the " love shack".
Trailer has a tankless hot water heater and gas cooking station all on a spring loaded platform that swings out of the tail gate

Also added a Foxwing Awning this year.

I try to go places with no cellular signal so I can spend time with the family. This is my bug out of D.C. Vehicle and it will be hard to part with. I love this setup because no one would ever camp on a bunch of river boulders but with this setup you can.

Maybe if you put a rack on it, I just needed some 4x4's 20 feet long and I could do that with my F-150 but do not see the Bollinger doing that.

You could carry 12 ft 4X4s internally with the pass through. With 20 ft you'd need to stick them out the back and put a flag on them.

The pass through, using what would be the engine compartment on any other vehicle for more storage is an innovative idea. I'd love to see people lose it at the hardware store when I open up the engine compartment and stick lumber in there.

Did anyone figure out the length of the bed? Sure, it's 4' (49") wide, but those 4x8 panels are sticking way out - I'm figuring it's considerably less than a shorty (6'6") "standard" pickup's bed.
That's fine - as a general rule the shorter the wheelbase the more maneuverable an off-roader is....but the payoff is a significantly less comfortable highway ride.

I'll have to upload a pic of our Tepui atop our FJ62 for Xeno........

Reactions: Xenoilphobe
I would replace my 2004 Tundra with a Tesla pickup in an instant. Even before I had my model S I only drove it about 2000 miles a year. I just like the convenience of having a truck and an extra vehicle. Plus a truck is always good trading currency in the neighborhood. Give me a Tesla truck with 4wd and 300mi of range and I would go to two vehicles.

I hope they wait with making a pickup until after they've made a smaller sedan, the crossover, the next roadster and a van.

Pickups do not sell over here. The segment is probably less than 1% of the total market. If they do decide to make one in the near future, I hope the market for pickups is significantly better in the US.

In the US the most 3 most popular vehicles are American made pickup trucks. Believe me if there is one thing that will always sell well in America, it's a nice pickup truck.

On "Semis". Class 6-8 trucks are commodities. You can put whatever power train you like into them. Kenworth, Peterbilt, Mack, International, etc., have already done the engineering to put a wide variety of powerplants into their tractors, but they'll work with the customer to build whatever they need. If Tesla is to build a long haul (usually class 8) truck, they should work with the existing chassis makers to make something that has most of the bugs already worked out of the drive train, suspension, cab, towing gear, etc. As others have pointed out, there's a lot of room for batteries and other goodies in those standard trucks. If tesla wants to put a little of their own sheet metal on it (e.g. by replacing the front grille), I'm sure the existing manufacturers would be fine with that.

One of Tesla's early engineers, Iain Wright, has a company doing exactly this: WrightSpeed. Their present design is aimed at class 6 and 7 trucks (think garbage trucks and other short haul, heavy haulers) and consists of a fairly Tesla-esque power train and a gas turbine range extender. They're only going for fleets, and haven't had many customers yet. It seems to me this is an excellent strategy though. they're targeting uses where there's a lot of opportunity for regenerative braking. there's not much in long-haul trucks.

A long range truck/trailer weighs 10-20 times what a model S does and gets 2-5 mpg out of those diesels. Which confirms that range is pretty directly inversely proportional to weight. So to get an 8 hour day--500 miles--out of a truck that weighs 10 times as much, you'd need 20 times the battery. ~1400KWH. A present supercharger would take 5 hours or more to charge that. because of driver safety time limits, you can't take even 2 hours out of the middle of a trucker's shift, so you'd have to have a battery that can do the whole trip in one charge. This new battery won't need as much protection as the ones in mode S/Xs, but I don't see such a thing weighing less than about 5 tons. a lot; enough to impact the capacity of the truck. (note that the electric motors needed are an off-the-shelf thing for the railroad industry)

(even 80 amps/240 would take 73 hours to charge a 1400KWH battery)

To double the speed of a supercharger would require a much bigger wire. To do it by upping the amperage will probably require a wire too big for a human to horse around (we know that tesla gave up on it's liquid cooled supercharger idea), although doubling the voltage is more practical. another approach would be to split the battery and have two separate cables on relatively conventional superchargers.

bottom line: I see only two ways a long haul EV is possible: 1: carry enough battery for a full driver shift, which means sitting on a supercharger for a majority of the driver's time off shift . or 2: have a range extender using a more conventional fuel.

-Snortybartfast

Car makers have modified existing cars designed for ICE to use electric motors and in some cases made pure EVs, but they were compromised designs because to do an EV right, you have to redesign from the ground up. It would be possible to make a compromised EV truck design, but Tesla will likely do it right and start with a clean sheet.

There are rumors of 350KW+ superchargers coming. I expect those will be for commercial vehicles only. You can pretty much make any vehicle that charges at the same rate as a 90 KWH pack, just scale the power to the number of cells so the power per cell is the same as a 90D on a current supercharger. The ultimate limit is what the individual cells can take and the power is evenly divided across every cell in the pack (unless the supercharger is balancing the pack, but the charge rate there is low).

Reactions: KJD
Being discussed elsewhere in a number of other threads today but, since this is the longest-lasting and most authoritative - for lack of a different term - such thread on TMC, I thought it appropriate to re-post here:
Screen Shot 2017-09-20 at 10.57.46 AM.png

to which I, were I a tweeter, would respond

"Then you would be doing the right thing".

Being discussed elsewhere in a number of other threads today but, since this is the longest-lasting and most authoritative - for lack of a different term - such thread on TMC, I thought it appropriate to re-post here:
View attachment 248770

to which I, were I a tweeter, would respond

"Then you would be doing the right thing".

I dont think Elon is saying that they will just shrink down the exact same design so that it is a pickup sized Semi. Just like they are supersizing S/X/3 tech to make a semi, its not just a giant model X with the back end cut off and a tractor tailor hookup added. Instead of a bunch of model3 motors and a giant battery for the Semi it will be a few model3 motors and large battery, but it will look more like a pickup. I would however imagine that it will be much more aerodynamic compared to pickups today because it doesnt need a huge engine compartment.

To me the question is how big will the battery need to be to get a reasonable range. My guess is 1GWh for 300 miles with 700KWh+ charging from the bottom with giant cooled cable and coolant pumped into the battery pack from the same system. I dont think battery swap will be part of this iteration or maybe ever. One reason that it might be required is how long the batteries will last when being charged at such high rates and potentially more then once per day. A million miles for a Semi is pretty standard, so that would around 3300 charge cycles per million miles. It doesnt matter much how long it takes to charge in terms of hours if the vehicles are autonomous. For platooned trains of semis, the lead driver could be swapped out every 300 miles and the platoon could continue on after a couple of hours of charging. I dont think there will be platooning in cities, only wide open roads. Drivers would need to get into the vehicles near the cities until full autonomy is available.