Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Pickup Truck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As someone who uses his truck as they are intended (towing and hauling), please, no.
Not sure how well it would go over if the truck was more about performance. Truck buyers don't ask: What's the 0-60 time? How does it handle curves? Is the ride smooth? Maybe the design team can stage a kidnapping of
Elon, pry his eyes open clockwork orange style, and force him to watch every pickup truck commercial made over the last 20 years. Give the vehicle those characteristics, 500mi of range for 50k and you will have a million reservations.

• Love
Reactions: Vines and ricohman
Not sure how well it would go over if the truck was more about performance. Truck buyers don't ask: What's the 0-60 time? How does it handle curves? Is the ride smooth? Maybe the design team can stage a kidnapping of
Elon, pry his eyes open clockwork orange style, and force him to watch every pickup truck commercial made over the last 20 years. Give the vehicle those characteristics, 500mi of range for 50k and you will have a million reservations.

This is so true. I have had many trucks and I have not once considered 0-60 times. My new F450 has nearly 1000 ft/lbs of torque.
I have no clue regarding its 0-60.
Give it a solid rear axle (at least one, two would be better yet) , a real frame, 500 miles of range at the minimum towing 10-15k.
IFS on rear does not work well with heavy pin weights and larger trailers. That set up does not belong on a truck.

This is so true. I have had many trucks and I have not once considered 0-60 times. My new F450 has nearly 1000 ft/lbs of torque.
I have no clue regarding its 0-60.
Give it a solid rear axle (at least one, two would be better yet) , a real frame, 500 miles of range at the minimum towing 10-15k.
IFS on rear does not work well with heavy pin weights and larger trailers. That set up does not belong on a truck.

2017 F-450 King Ranch diesel is 8.0 0-60

Truck 0-60 Times | Find 0 to 60 & Quarter Mile Specs for Old & New Pickup Trucks

A lot of modern trucks have fairly decent 0-60 times considering nobody is buying them for that. 8s 0-60 is good enough to get onto the freeway with few worries of getting lunched which is all most people are really concerned about.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911

Truck 0-60 Times | Find 0 to 60 & Quarter Mile Specs for Old & New Pickup Trucks

A lot of modern trucks have fairly decent 0-60 times considering nobody is buying them for that. 8s 0-60 is good enough to get onto the freeway with few worries of getting lunched which is all most people are really concerned about.

8 seconds!
Pretty good for a 10,000 pound dually. And you can't launch these trucks at full power. The computer limits the output in the first 2 gears.
I guess they don't want a bunch of hooligans roasting tires and busting u-joints.

The performance trucks that get put out there every few years are neat, but never last. Can't really include the Raptor as that is about capability

8 seconds!
Pretty good for a 10,000 pound dually. And you can't launch these trucks at full power. The computer limits the output in the first 2 gears.
I guess they don't want a bunch of hooligans roasting tires and busting u-joints.
No no no. Based on my two F-350s and many F-250s, I'm pretty sure that "0-60 in 8.0" means in exactly eight miles.

No no no. Based on my two F-350s and many F-250s, I'm pretty sure that "0-60 in 8.0" means in exactly eight miles.

:)

Reminds me of YouTuber Doug Demuro. He now mostly just does car reviews, but he used to get unusual cars and do weird things with them. One of his vehicles was a Hummer and he took it to the drag strip. It took the entire 1/4 mile to get to 60 and 21 seconds or something like that.

Not sure how well it would go over if the truck was more about performance. Truck buyers don't ask: What's the 0-60 time? How does it handle curves? Is the ride smooth?

...watch every pickup truck commercial made over the last 20 years.

While I understand your statement was intended to be hyperbolic, truck people absolutely care about performance and comfort--there's Lightnings and Raptors and luxury trim packages out there to prove it, not to mention the mega aftermarket industry.

But, more interestingly, what you've presented is a circular reference of human nature, and not evidence that truck buyers don't want comfort and performance.

Most truck people are out there talking about towing capacity and torque and ground clearance because that's exactly what the commercials form the last 20 years have conditioned them to talk about. Advertisements appeal to vanity, and despite being the least likely demographic to admit it, there's [ahem] truckloads of vanity in your favorite RAM or Silverado or F150 commercial that's telling a truck buyer that what they want is far more than they really need. The main reason those commercials aren't talking about 0-60 or ride comfort or whatever is because, when compared to cars, the results will often be unimpressive. "<gruff, manly voice> Buy the new SIlverado! Its pretty fast...for a truck...and can definitely take that Corolla off the line!"

Bringing this back to Tesla, if there's one thing they do well (hint: its not communication...) it is implementing a disruptive vision. There was no such thing as a real world electric car before Tesla. People didn't believe it would happen because the legacy automakers already had consumers convinced [via their commercials] that their products--which hadn't changed much in decades--were the thing to buy. Buttons, bells and whistles, safety...sometimes handling...very rarely outright speed..those were the strengths of carmakers, but often never as a total package. Then the Model S comes along like a unicorn, ticking every box, and everything's different now.

Extrapolate that to a truck, and its extremely likely that Tesla will bring the cake and eat it too. Excuse the second double of this post, but there's no evidence to suggest that we won't be talking about supercar-like (or at least sports car like) acceleration and handling, Volvo (or should be we say, Tesla?) like safety, coal-shaming torque, and industry leading utility/capacity from a Tesla truck.

And, just like the 90% of F250 owners that never need more utility than an F150, and just like the 90% of F150 owners than never need more utility than a Ranger, people will buy the Tesla truck because its what they want, not what they need.

While I understand your statement was intended to be hyperbolic, truck people absolutely care about performance and comfort--there's Lightnings and Raptors and luxury trim packages out there to prove it, not to mention the mega aftermarket industry.

But, more interestingly, what you've presented is a circular reference of human nature, and not evidence that truck buyers don't want comfort and performance.

Most truck people are out there talking about towing capacity and torque and ground clearance because that's exactly what the commercials form the last 20 years have conditioned them to talk about. Advertisements appeal to vanity, and despite being the least likely demographic to admit it, there's [ahem] truckloads of vanity in your favorite RAM or Silverado or F150 commercial that's telling a truck buyer that what they want is far more than they really need. The main reason those commercials aren't talking about 0-60 or ride comfort or whatever is because, when compared to cars, the results will often be unimpressive. "<gruff, manly voice> Buy the new SIlverado! Its pretty fast...for a truck...and can definitely take that Corolla off the line!"

Bringing this back to Tesla, if there's one thing they do well (hint: its not communication...) it is implementing a disruptive vision. There was no such thing as a real world electric car before Tesla. People didn't believe it would happen because the legacy automakers already had consumers convinced [via their commercials] that their products--which hadn't changed much in decades--were the thing to buy. Buttons, bells and whistles, safety...sometimes handling...very rarely outright speed..those were the strengths of carmakers, but often never as a total package. Then the Model S comes along like a unicorn, ticking every box, and everything's different now.

Extrapolate that to a truck, and its extremely likely that Tesla will bring the cake and eat it too. Excuse the second double of this post, but there's no evidence to suggest that we won't be talking about supercar-like (or at least sports car like) acceleration and handling, Volvo (or should be we say, Tesla?) like safety, coal-shaming torque, and industry leading utility/capacity from a Tesla truck.

And, just like the 90% of F250 owners that never need more utility than an F150, and just like the 90% of F150 owners than never need more utility than a Ranger, people will buy the Tesla truck because its what they want, not what they need.

Truck owners are probably the most brand loyal of any customer. As a truck guy we talk clearance and towing all the time. Nothing to do with commercials.
0-60 is probably the last thing on most truck owners minds. Range and comfort are, along with looks and beefy frames and axles.
Tesla would do well to stick with a Ridgeline kind of thing with IFS front a rear. More sporting than truck like. Their market will be their present base of customers regardless.

• Funny
Reactions: bxr140
50k? You my friend are absolutely delusional. The pickup will absolutely be more than the X. I am betting it starts at 100k.

Sad but true, this is a just side project for EM, he even admitted it may not be a sales success. So its probably based off the Semi type frame, a low cost gamble.

If Em was interested in volume, it would based off the X or Y platform. Which he stated may still come, with a more conventional design. But when Tesla finally gets around to it, other competitors will already be in that space.