Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Radar Speculation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Even then. How can LIDAR, RADAR, ETCDAR see the road? They cannot unless they have electromagnetic trackers installed on the roads.
The whole reason radar was invented was to be able to see in and through low or zero visibility conditions. Radar can see through fog just fine, certainly well enough to avoid hitting that stopped car you didn’t see.

The whole reason radar was invented was to be able to see in and through low or zero visibility conditions. Radar can see through fog just fine, certainly well enough to avoid hitting that stopped car you didn’t see.
Cheap obsolete radar is programmed to ignore stationary obstacles.

New 4d imaging radar now can avoid stationary obstacle collisions.

I’m just talking about LiDAR “seeing” through fog and sand storms, agnostic to its location. (Not concerning myself with the front bumper occlusion visibility.)
@diplomat33 may e able to provide that information

I don't think any AV would be expected to drive in a sand storm since humans are not expected to drive in a sand storm. I doubt any sensor would work in a sand storm. Lidar won't see as well in fog. Radar is unaffected by fog.

But remember that no sensor is perfect. Cameras are great at classifying objects, reading road signs and traffic lights. But camera vision does not have 100% recall and can be unreliable at measuring position and velocity. Cameras might also struggle in low light conditions. Lidar is very effective at measuring position and velocity. Lidar has 100% recall. Lidar works great even in zero light conditions. And lidar can also create a very accurate 3d map of everything. But both cameras and lidar can struggle in rain, snow and fog. Radar is unaffected by rain, snow and fog and is very effective at measuring position and velocity in all conditions. But radar cannot read traffic lights or road signs. That is why AVs have multiple sensors, cameras, radar and lidar. Each sensor can compensate for the weaknesses of the other sensors.

Last edited:
Even then. How can LIDAR, RADAR, ETCDAR see the road? They cannot unless they have electromagnetic trackers installed on the roads.

This is not true. Lidar can see the road just fine. In fact, lidar can create a very accurate 3D map of a road. it sees the surface of the road, the road edges and lane lines. It does not need "electromagnetic trackers" installed on the road. I don't even know what that means.

Bottom view is camera vision. Top view is the lidar point cloud.

LidarBlog_Sept22.png

Arbe stock (+50% today) has been on a rocket since the FCC prematurely released and subsequently redacted the Tesla Radar images, and GreenTheOnly shared that "Phoenix" is still being referenced in the code.

90 day avg of ~40k shares, and almost 40 million shares changed hands today... 65 million shares total outstanding shares for the company... either its a big rumor mill, or someone knows something

No. Radar cannot see. It is OK for aircrafts as they do not have painted skylanes.
Radar is not supposed to “see“ the road. It’s supposed to “see” objects in front of you, and determine their distance. Your position seemed to be that radar/LIDAR/etc. would be useless in low visibility situations because they couldn’t “see the road”. I was pointing out that radar can be very useful in low visibility situations.