Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Radar Speculation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We talked about FSD not being live (out of beta) until years into the future…

Except the feature you specifically named, SS, has been live since 2019. And doesn't require FSD either (EAP gets it as well).

And dumb summon, which can ALSO move the car from a distance (just a shorter one) with no driver has been live since 2014. And also doesn't require FSD.

When you find yourself in a hole my dude, stop digging.

Except the feature you specifically named, SS, has been live since 2019. And doesn't require FSD either (EAP gets it as well).

And dumb summon, which can ALSO move the car from a distance (just a shorter one) with no driver has been live since 2014. And also doesn't require FSD.

When you find yourself in a hole my dude, stop digging.
SS is anything but smart. Who cares if it is “live”. It doesn’t work. PERIOD
Tons of users reporting collisions and related damage.

I stand corrected, so now there are people out there paying twice for dumbed down cars. I bet somebody at Tesla's marketing department is thinking, what else can we turn off now? Shall we get rid of airbags? Because one day soon Vision will be so good it will avoid all the crashes anyway. There's always going to be a useful idiot out there who will immediately point out that his grandfather drove a car without airbags. The real magic of Tesla is that its customers allow it to get away with stuff that would ruin any other manufacturer.

SS is anything but smart. Who cares if it is “live”. It doesn’t work. PERIOD
Tons of users reporting collisions and related damage.

(moderator edit)

If it "didn't work PERIOD" nobody would be able to hit anything because it wouldn't do anything.

Also, I mentioned I've used it a bunch of times.

Also you admitted you have 0 actual personal experience with it and don't even have the feature but keep trying to tell those who do how it works.

Also, I literally showed you a video of it working. In 2019.

(moderator edit)

Plus dumb summon, which has been around working fine since 2014, which ALSO lets you move the car in/out of spaces without any door opening/closing or a human in the car.

(moderator edit)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Mullermn
The ”smart” summon feature has never worked well enough to be useful for me. More like Embarrassing Summon. Takes forever to figure out what to do and then kind of does a sit and spin with the steering wheel. Meanwhile people in the parking lot are laughing and pointing at the tesla with no driver while it kind of just stops in the middle of a lane. Just a bad parlor trick. But it sold some cars, so only Elon laughs. Laughing all the way to the bank with the good money you spent on another bait and switch. Especially since you are responsible for any damage or injury, not the guy who sold you on a dream (well actually nightmare).

I see you belong to the 1% club of engineers who get stuck with a 1% problem with product design and cause delays in the release

Hey funny story... turns out Tesla also noticed the blind spots and lack of useful rear cross traffic data- and found them important enough to add three low-facing bumper cameras- one front and two rear-to fix it in HW4.... (and the previous tweet in the thread he mentions the side-facing ones appear to have moved forward to the front fenders- which would potentially clear up the OTHER two blind spots I pointed out low to the vehicle.

Seems like every concern you dismissed as irrelevant were important enough that Tesla is adding new HW to the cars to fix them.

• Informative
Reactions: DrGriz
Re: Tesla Radar Speculation

xZ714Nz.jpg

H7xVCYT.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Pricedm and DrGriz
Hey funny story... turns out Tesla also noticed the blind spots and lack of useful rear cross traffic data- and found them important enough to add three low-facing bumper cameras- one front and two rear-to fix it in HW4.... (and the previous tweet in the thread he mentions the side-facing ones appear to have moved forward to the front fenders- which would potentially clear up the OTHER two blind spots I pointed out low to the vehicle.

Seems like every concern you dismissed as irrelevant were important enough that Tesla is adding new HW to the cars to fix them.

Exactly what I am saying. They are addressing it as they move forward. If not they would have still not been able to release HW3, let alone HW4

Tesla will turn on all 7 cameras when parked in the future for this, near doubling sentry drain, while also making it mandatory?
Sadly, turning on a couple of additional cameras nearly certainly would not double Sentry drain. If it did double it, the drain likely would not be nearly as much of a problem!

Sad state of affairs, really. Overhead, no good.

Reactions: enemji
I did some digging on the "Zynq" Processor. Xillinx was bought out by AMD in Feb 2022.

In 2020, Arbe Robotics (maker of the "Phoenix" Radar) filed a patent for their Radar, utilizing the Zynq 7000 processor:

• Signal Processing
  • [0050]
    The processing unit is based on Xilinx Zynq-7000 series combined microprocessor FPGA SoC. This unit controls the radar front-end and simultaneously process the IF data.

Literally, every single YouTube video I have ever seen on Summon and SS decries the lack of utility of both. I don’t have either; have never used it; and don’t miss not having it. Same with USS.
The summon features are useless because they aren't integrated with city driving and path planning. Once that integration happens, they'll be somewhat less useless.

The ultrasonics are also not useless. They can potentially detect small children, animals, etc. that are too short to be seen by any camera. So for the car to know its surroundings using only cameras, it at least arguably needs to keep the FSD system running continuously while parked, which would be a huge battery drain.

Whether we care about small children and pets crawling behind the bumper or not is a regulatory question.

Additional research...

The Continental and Xilinx AR540 4D radar utilizes the Zynq Ultrascale processor which is not the 7000 series chip shown in Tesla's internal FCC image.

Keep in mind, Arbe isnt actually making their own radar. They have patented designs and algorithms that will be deployed on chipsets produced by Globalfoundries and integrated by Tier 1 suppliers and OEMs under those supplier's own labels and specs. Some will exploit the full 48 chanels, and some could choose less channels, for instance if they just needed a slightly better radar that could handle the corner cases and shortcomings of a Vision Only system.

There are 2 chipsets in those FCC images integrated into the Rx/Tx antennas. If they were designed by Tesla, you'd think it would have something similar to the Octovalve octopus printed on it... like a blind bat or something tongue in cheek... it's not their tech.