Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla recalls 2 million vehicles to limit use of Autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder if we're going to get stuck with this new nag festival up here in Canada? US laws do not apply to us because we are a different country :) but knowing Tesla, they'll just lump us in with this silliness as well.
Canada issued their own recall for this on the same day.

Selling vehicles with Full Self-driving Capability surely doesn't suggest driver attention isn't necessary and that the cars can drive themselves.
That's definitely a problem with uninformed users. Most users are uninformed and if informed, then they push or cheat the limits of operation. The depth of their research is only reading the title .... FSD, and not the manual. I've read too many noob posts like: I was on autopilot and it went straight thru the red light.

It should be required that people demonstrate the ability to use their car and its technology. I don't think there is any high school or DMV drivers Ed for EVs. People don't read manuals or even watch the Tesla "get to know your car" videos. It's rediculous that instead of doing that they come to the Great TMC with stupid questions like "I can't figure out how to open the doors".

Canada issued their own recall for this on the same day.

OK I stand corrected! I did not see that. Thank you for pointing it out. I guess we all get nagged equally going forward ha ha!

Believe that some of this is our own fault. When people invent ways to "cheat" the monitoring, and then post it on the web, NHTSA easily picks up on it, and writes laws to offset those cheaters. Riding in the back seat, putting a water bottle on the steering wheel spoke, companies selling offset weights that bolt onto steering wheel, mounting a picture of a person in front of the camera, etc.
This regulation and recall was not caused by Tesla, but by our Community and forums.

Just recently Tesla implemented a
"I'm here and activly engaged" feature where the driver only needs to occasionally thumb the volume wheel on click, and FSD/Autopilot would remain engaged. Evidently even that little token of compliance was beyond the capability of many posting here.

Reactions: zoomer0056
Major push to 2023.44.30.x going out now. I'm avoiding the update until people can confirm how much it punishes the driver. Anyone?
Again a '17 legacy MS.

Added a red nag to apply torque within a couple of seconds of engaging FSD. Other nags are normal (15 to 45 seconds on urban streets).

Out of the plethora of "added features", the portrait-screen folks get the "one pull v two" to engage and apple podcasts only as far as I can tell. No light show, no blind spot monitoring, no alternative routes while driving, no custom sounds on horn, no 3d visualizations in parking lots, no speed cameras or other apparent map enhancements - not much really. Maybe it's so subtle I'm missing it. So much for the flagship.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
Again a '17 legacy MS.

Added a red nag to apply torque within a couple of seconds of engaging FSD. Other nags are normal (15 to 45 seconds on urban streets).

Out of the plethora of "added features", the portrait-screen folks get the "one pull v two" to engage and apple podcasts only as far as I can tell. No light show, no blind spot monitoring, no alternative routes while driving, no custom sounds on horn, no 3d visualizations in parking lots, no speed cameras or other apparent map enhancements - not much really. Maybe it's so subtle I'm missing it. So much for the flagship.
You have the FSD comp but still have MCU1?

With a portrait screen, FSD comp + MCU2 (but I don't actually have the FSD beta installed, just regular AP) I got: Tesla arcade updates, goats bleeting horn, apple podcasts, the suspension warning, and alternate routes. I got the single pull a few updates ago.

Haven't been in a parking lot yet, haven't noticed it warning me of speed cameras. But I'm going back out in a bit, I'll check for that other stuff.

Last edited:
  • Informative
goats bleeting horn, ... the suspension warning, and alternate routes.
Where in the menu for each?

It appears alternative routes are only on the initial display and not while driving like it has been for a while.

What is the suspension warning? I have the air shocks.

I went through every menu option but didn't see these. Perhaps I'm not looking at the right place.

So I got into my eight year old P85D this morning and an undismissable alert with a slowly flashing orange (more orange in real life than in the picture) warning triangle appeared (see photo). It tells me that “software will not update until [low voltage] battery is replaced.” There is no indication elsewhere that there is software queued up to install. I replaced my low voltage battery a few years ago, but I don’t think the second battery has been in the car as long as the first one was before it failed. I don’t believe the first time the battery went bad the warning said anything about the car’s ability to update software.

Screenshot 2023-12-17 at 12.50.21 PM.png

From this I infer a few things.
  1. the car really wants to install the software that will nerf my AP1 autopilot, which makes me very angry because in eight years I have always looked at the road an had one hand on the wheel.
  2. If it was just a battery warning without the imperative to force an update it wouldn’t have warned me with this language.
  3. the battery performance threshold for installing software is likely more stringent than for a warning to the owner that you need to immediately replace the battery or it would have given me the same warning as it did years ago, and replacing the battery as a result would have done the job of allowing it to install the update.
  4. Because there is no sign of software queued up it may be that the AP software update is installed without asking the owner at all. Alternatively, the fact that the battery is below the threshold may mean it never got queued up in the first place.
My conclusions are
  1. that this is an AP1 get out of jail free card which I intend to play by not replacing the battery at this point [grin], although it’s risky if I don’t get a different warning when the battery is going to fail.
  2. I should probably bring the car to the independent EV garage that’s a couple dozen miles from where I live and have them test the battery but not replace it unless it’s urgent.

• Informative
Where in the menu for each?

It appears alternative routes are only on the initial display and not while driving like it has been for a while.

What is the suspension warning? I have the air shocks.

I went through every menu option but didn't see these. Perhaps I'm not looking at the right place.
See screenshots for the release notes.

Alternete routes are now shown always when zoomed out to see the whole route. It's actually a feature that I've wanted for awhile now.

The bleeting goats is a file you put on the sentry USB drive.

The suspension refers to autopilot being suspended if you get too many forced disengagements

Attachments

• IMG_3260.PNG
    IMG_3260.PNG
    723.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3261.PNG
    IMG_3261.PNG
    397.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3259.PNG
    IMG_3259.PNG
    612.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3258.PNG
    IMG_3258.PNG
    497.8 KB · Views: 15
Reactions: KArnold
Still no custom sound (no boombox) and no alternative routes once driving. Suspension is unchanged best I can tell - 3 strikes, one week timeout.

The flagship has received very few of the new "features" for several years now.

So just Apple and 1-pull activation for us. Let me know if anyone sees otherwise on Legacy vehicles.

Still no custom sound (no boombox) and no alternative routes once driving. Suspension is unchanged best I can tell - 3 strikes, one week timeout.

The flagship has received very few of the new "features" for several years now.

So just Apple and 1-pull activation for us. Let me know if anyone sees otherwise on Legacy vehicles.
Here's what I have. I went from 2023.44 to 2023.44.30.1

IMG_3263.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: zoomer0056