Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla recalls 2 million vehicles to limit use of Autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The new Autopilot update sucks

I had several nags on my usual 40 mile drive and after 6-7 nags, it disabled autopilot for rest of drive - ridiculous and unsafe!

The time it gives me to respond to the nag is ridiculous- just a few seconds , I’m driving 80 mph around a curve and I can’t push the steering wheel obviously— or it will crash , and bam - it turns red

Another time, I see the nag and touch my wheel again to provide torque , but since it’s around a curve , my torque goes unnoticed and I get strike again and no more AP for rest of drive, 25 miles left all highway in traffic

this sucks so bad - I do not think this makes AP safer at all
Actually when it is turning, the torque sensing is easier to satisfy. Just provide resistance to the wheel turning. Keep in mind the steering sensing is not based on movement, but rather torque. So you don't actually have to move the wheel, you can just resist the car trying to move the wheel.

You can also use the scroll wheel as an alternative to satisfy the nag.

Our car has decided that it no longer wants 2023.44.30.4, it is no longer waiting for wifi to download the update. It has decided that it's content to stick with 2023.27.7 for now. I wonder why the change.
Mine started downloading two nights ago and went to 50%. Then last night, it finished the other 50%. Sometimes when checking the app, the pending download didn’t show.

Maybe you’ll see it tomorrow or maybe they pulled it due to an issue.

Actually when it is turning, the torque sensing is easier to satisfy. Just provide resistance to the wheel turning. Keep in mind the steering sensing is not based on movement, but rather torque. So you don't actually have to move the wheel, you can just resist the car trying to move the wheel.

You can also use the scroll wheel as an alternative to satisfy the nag.

I’ve been using AP since 2018. I know how AP works.

Do you think it’s a good idea to to apply torque to wheel going 85 mph around a curve? Yes, I drive 80-85 mph and there are curves.

My point is - the nag should allow the driver more than a few seconds to input the torque, so as the driver can wait until it’s safe to apply torque

Reactions: Wanderer

Do you think it’s a good idea to to apply torque to wheel going 85 mph around a curve? Yes, I drive 80-85 mph and there are curves.

My point is - the nag should allow the driver more than a few seconds to input the torque, so as the driver can wait until it’s safe to apply torque
I've never used Autosteer or FSD. How much force does it take on the wheel to satisfy a pay attention alert?

Try putting your finger against the outside of the wheel and apply a little pressure - like a brake pad against a rotor. As the wheel turns for the curve, you're supplying slight resistance, but not enough to disengage as the wheel is moving freely. Works great for me. If you need to supply more torque, or wiggle the wheel and still have problems satisfying the nag, then your torque sensor may need adjustment or replacement. It literally takes a single finger of force to satisfy the nag.

You don't apply torque, you just give some resistance for the wheel turning (basically hold it slightly to resist it turning). It's so slight you will never be anywhere close to disengaging. This is actually easier to do when it is cornering because the car is already applying a torque, so all you are doing is holding the wheel slightly.

I mention it because a lot of people think they have to do a very obvious wiggle (enough to significantly move the wheel) when that is not the case. For people under such an impression, it makes much more effort to satisfy the nag.

Not sure what is this 2023.4.30.5.1

You don't apply torque, you just give some resistance for the wheel turning (basically hold it slightly to resist it turning).
no!

How is that going to work on a straight road - there is no turning to resist. The message says "Apply slight turning force to steering wheel".

I use one hand and simply never get nags. Have been driving Teslas since 2013. I use my right hand at about 5 o’clock partly resting on my knee in my 3 (in my X, my knee is too far away.) I simply hook my thumb and forefinger and provide a slight continuous torque. I have never disabled autopilot this way. I also occasionally switch hands. I apply about 1 pound or less of downward force at the 5 o’clock position.

Disengaging requires a lot more force.

no!

How is that going to work on a straight road - there is no turning to resist. The message says "Apply slight turning force to steering wheel".

I use one hand and simply never get nags. Have been driving Teslas since 2013. I use my right hand at about 5 o’clock partly resting on my knee in my 3 (in my X, my knee is too far away.) I simply hook my thumb and forefinger and provide a slight continuous torque. I have never disabled autopilot this way. I also occasionally switch hands. I apply about 1 pound or less of downward force at the 5 o’clock position.

Disengaging requires a lot more force.
In context, I'm talking about when the nag pops up in a corner as per the post I was responding to.

Things are obviously different when the car is going straight, although the same principles can generally apply given typically roads are not completely straight, so the wheel typically is applying some torque. This same thing also applies when you use both hands given they tend to cancel each other out, so the only sensing that happens is from the hands resisting the wheel torque.

Reactions: DrGriz
In context, I'm talking about when the nag pops up in a corner as per the post I was responding to.

Things are obviously different when the car is going straight, although the same principles can generally apply given typically roads are not completely straight, so the wheel typically is applying some torque. This same thing also applies when you use both hands given they tend to cancel each other out, so the only sensing that happens is from the hands resisting the wheel torque.
I find when on a curve in the road the nags stop. Returns when the road straightens out. No?

Not sure what is this 2023.4.30.5.1

Does anybody else see the irony of increased driver attentiveness and "Alternate Routes While Driving" being introduced in the same update?