Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla recalls 2 million vehicles to limit use of Autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The maximum posted speed limit in California is 70mph.

Once cars are fully automated they will be following the rules of the road. And safety will improve.

Until then, the weak link is those behind the wheel. Don't blame AP for not responding well while you are breaking the rules of the road. It isn't the weak link in this case. A non-weak-link driver would have learned the non-torque way of dismissing the nag.
And if you’re driving 70mph on i5 you’ll get overtaken by semi-trucks.

With 44.30.5.1, the rear centre (backup) camera is much dimmer now (in the lower light environment of my parking garage); the rear facing side cameras are still at the previous light level so the change in the center camera light level is pronounced.

Also, reinstituted Joe Mode as all the sound levels went up markedly.

• Informative
Reactions: SalisburySam
Did you try to use single hand drive or one hand with more down presssure and the other hand just resting on the wheel to make the wheel have more torque on one side? And did you scroll the speed dial up/down to counter the nag?
I single hand drive. But this whole strike event happened over 10's of seconds, most of it with me wondering what the car wants me to do. No time to think to try something else. Get red hands, tug on wheel, wait, repeat. I've never seen something like this on my S, but I've only have 44.x for a few days.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
Means that the posted speed limit doesn’t mean a damn thing

Also means to me, that vehicles that are much larger and heavier could potentially cause an accident - keeping up with the flow of traffic I find is much easier to drive in.
If I park it at 65 in the right lane, I get tailgated and cut off non stop. Very often having to disable AP because it gets uncomfortable

Also means to me, that vehicles that are much larger and heavier could potentially cause an accident - keeping up with the flow of traffic I find is much easier to drive in.
If I park it at 65 in the right lane, I get tailgated and cut off non stop. Very often having to disable AP because it gets uncomfortable
I used to worry about this, then about 20 years ago I went to pick up an antique car in Burbank and drove it back to Tucson. An older friend who came with me gave me good advice, just stay to the right, relax and let the traffic flow around you. I realized this actually wasn't too stressful once I stopped worrying about it. I wasn't going dangerously slow, just at or a bit below the speed limit.

OTOH, you might get more forgiveness and less aggressive interaction for being in an obviously limited vehicle, compared to being in a shiny new Tesla.

I used to worry about this, then about 20 years ago I went to pick up an antique car in Burbank and drove it back to Tucson. An older friend who came with me gave me good advice, just stay to the right, relax and let the traffic flow around you. I realized this actually wasn't too stressful once I stopped worrying about it. I wasn't going dangerously slow, just at or a bit below the speed limit.

OTOH, you might get more forgiveness and less aggressive interaction for being in an obviously limited vehicle, compared to being in a shiny new Tesla.
The people passing will probably just snicker thinking you have to drive slow because you’re almost out of charge. Oh well.

I guess people in South Dakota are much better behaved than those Massachusetts. I had to go under (OMG THE HUMANITY!!!!) their speed limit (it is obvious some people don't understand the meaning of this word but it isn't the same as 'suggestion') on the interstate because the cross winds were too much for my hybrid car to hold the road easily at higher speeds. All the other traffic just pulled around me and back in front of me. No one hogged the left lane, perhaps that's why no one tail gaited me because they were able to go around me.

All in all, it was a lovely drive because my cruise control maintained my speed, no phantom braking, no random lane changes, no having to constantly be watching for alerts on a screen, and even though I didn't have autosteer (or any ADA except basic cruise) the car held its lane nicely and I could enjoy the amazing scenery along the route.

Note: there are speed minimums on the interstate and I was going 35 mph over that. I just wasn't traveling at the speed limit.

I have to wonder how many people being slammed with disengagement warnings are driving too fast for the conditions and so the computer is constantly making sure they are not distracted and can take over if a heavy gust of wind (for example) is too much for autosteer. I used to get warning on EAP stack and on the FSDb stack, which I assume will be similar to what I get when I finally download and install the latest update. But they are usually not annoying at all. I suspect it is because I go much closer to the speed limit and at or below the speed limit when conditions warrant.

That's exactly it... I've driven a few cars from the 50s/60s (made well before I was born). People give you less grief if you drive them slow.

My friend has a 67 vette that I'd shuttle around to car shows for him (he'd drive another old car he has). No one cares if you go 55 in that thing. Those cars are ridiculously unsafe compared to modern cars. Obviously no electronics to help (though the vette does at least have power 4 wheel disc brakes), but the real danger is the rest of the car. No head rests, no shoulder belt. Head can go right into the steering column. Dashboard is hard... certain sense of danger driving those cars. Not that they can't be driven fast, they just require a lot more skill to do so and are much less forgiving of mistakes. Plus it's old, so there's always a very real chance of something breaking.

If you're in a modern car, people get upset if you don't keep up with the flow, but I agree they get less so if you stay to the right

Reactions: navguy12 and JHCCAZ
An older friend who came with me gave me good advice, just stay to the right, relax and let the traffic flow around you. I realized this actually wasn't too stressful once I stopped worrying about it.
Yup. The argument that your speed has to equal the other cars shows how easy some are pushed. The one guy thats in a hurry then causes everyone else to be in a hurry. Easy, let the water flow around.

Last edited:
An older friend who came with me gave me good advice, just stay to the right, relax and let the traffic flow around you. I realized this actually wasn't too stressful once I stopped worrying about it. I wasn't going dangerously slow, just at or a bit below the speed limit.
Exactly this.

Looong time back I used to drive aggressively - trying to keep up etc. One day got pulled over for speeding - realized I was being foolish. Started driving mostly on the left lanes and let the speedsters go. The drives became relaxing and more enjoyable...

Of course all this before EVs ...