Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla recalls 362,758 vehicles says full self-driving beta software may cause crashes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took my 2016 X with FSD beta in for other repairs (might have been around May) and they replaced the cameras as a warranty "upgrade". Could this have been the recall?

Being chicken, I've actually only tried the FSD once, about 4 months ago. I felt like a ping pong ball bouncing between the lines. Not a smooth ride. I turned it off. Could the car be learning? Or has software worked at smoothing this out? Or is this normal? I was on the Ontario 401 express highway doing 120kph, with light traffic.
I guess I have a thing about biofeedback. I never used cruise control either.
If you felt like a ping pong, you probably only turned on the adaptive cruise control (TACC) and secondary lane keeping system was what was keeping you in the lane and you didn't activate Autosteer or FSD Beta yet.

You have to pull the stalk twice toward you to activate Autosteer, once only activates TACC. Unlike other more modern Teslas, moving the stalk up or down only activates TACC, it does not activate Autosteer.
GUID-08C5AFAB-8692-42A3-A15B-942453D1006B-online-en-US.png

https://www.tesla.com/ownersmanual/...UID-69AEB326-9831-424E-96AD-4021EABCB699.html

The Autosteer icon at #3 should turn blue when it is active.
GUID-FDE927B1-51CD-4AF5-A603-9FFD2EA1F3DB-online-en-US.png

FSD Beta requires further activation in the menu.
https://www.tesla.com/ownersmanual/...UID-C32926F6-B4CD-40FF-B09C-48FCEB8CBAA7.html

You should read all the manual pages to understand the how the various features work before using it:
https://www.tesla.com/ownersmanual/...UID-32E9F9FD-0014-4EB4-8D96-A8BE99DBE1A2.html

Last edited:
If you felt like a ping pong, you probably only turned on the adaptive cruise control (TACC) and secondary lane keeping system was what was keeping you in the lane and you didn't activate Autosteer or FSD Beta yet.

You have to pull the stalk twice toward you to activate Autosteer, once only activates TACC. Unlike other more modern Teslas, moving the stalk up or down only activates TACC, it does not activate Autosteer.
GUID-08C5AFAB-8692-42A3-A15B-942453D1006B-online-en-US.png

https://www.tesla.com/ownersmanual/...UID-69AEB326-9831-424E-96AD-4021EABCB699.html

The Autosteer icon at #3 should turn blue when it is active.
GUID-FDE927B1-51CD-4AF5-A603-9FFD2EA1F3DB-online-en-US.png

FSD Beta requires further activation in the menu.
https://www.tesla.com/ownersmanual/...UID-C32926F6-B4CD-40FF-B09C-48FCEB8CBAA7.html

You should read all the manual pages to understand the how the various features work before using it:
https://www.tesla.com/ownersmanual/...UID-32E9F9FD-0014-4EB4-8D96-A8BE99DBE1A2.html
Thanks for answering. I did read everything that I found in the manual and I did pull the stick towards me twice... However, I'll try it again and make sure the "3" is blue. I'm sure that everything that is supposed to be on is on.

Thanks for answering. I did read everything that I found in the manual and I did pull the stick towards me twice... However, I'll try it again and make sure the "3" is blue. I'm sure that everything that is supposed to be on is on.
I say that because someone else complained about ping ponging and it turns out they never had Autosteer on and what was ping ponging them between the lines was the lane departure avoidance. Autosteer doesn't ping pong between lines, but rather would proactively steer to keep the car in the center of the lane.

Reactions: richyrich
I say that because someone else complained about ping ponging and it turns out they never had Autosteer on and what was ping ponging them between the lines was the lane departure avoidance. Autosteer doesn't ping pong between lines, but rather would proactively steer to keep the car in the center of the lane.
Agreed. After five years and two cars that I drive a lot and use AS on all the time, I’ve never had anything like “ping ponging”.

You know your car!
I went back to settings and I, in fact, did not say yes to the disclaimer and therefore did not actually turn on the FSDbeta, so my double pull was turning on Autosteer. My bad. ...but I was getting ping ponging in the double pull... Have I missed something else that I'm not getting Autosteer, and rather lane departure? I'm telling you, this computer thing is never going to catch on!
Thank you!

• Funny
Reactions: jebinc
You know your car!
I went back to settings and I, in fact, did not say yes to the disclaimer and therefore did not actually turn on the FSDbeta, so my double pull was turning on Autosteer. My bad. ...but I was getting ping ponging in the double pull... Have I missed something else that I'm not getting Autosteer, and rather lane departure? I'm telling you, this computer thing is never going to catch on!
Thank you!
Again the steering wheel icon will turn blue if Autosteer is on. Next time you drive, verify that it is blue. It will also show blue in the visualization of the lanes.

Again the steering wheel icon will turn blue if Autosteer is on. Next time you drive, verify that it is blue. It will also show blue in the visualization of the lanes.
It was blue in autosteer. NOW that I have FSDbeta turned on (face plant), it also goes blue. No ping-pong! Unfortunately, it started raining and got shutdown because of poor visibility. Approaching transports the car would slow way down. Unless it was getting lost with the mist off the wheels or what?
I left with 100% charge and got 220km on pretty flat roads with 30% left. Toronto to London, via Hamilton. Charged to 93% and got back home with 20%. I was doing 120 to 130kph. 3C temp so a little bit of heat/defogger was on. Is this pathetic range or am I expecting too much?