Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla recalls 362,758 vehicles says full self-driving beta software may cause crashes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My pet peeve is how posters blame media for reporting facts and documenting them
I'm not sure if you are referring to my comment but I guess you didn't see the early version of the CNBC link. It was literally just a line and there were no links to any of the NHTSA reports. That's why people had to link to other reports with actual links to the documents (I have no issue with the Verge report because it has the actual documents right at the bottom of the article). CNBC later edited the report to add back in more info (which they already had in their hands in the first place when they first posted and could have linked to even if they didn't have the full article written yet).

A lot of secondary reports then just take the original report with no details and embellish it with their own assumptions, which is why you get CNN claiming Tesla is removing their FSD feature, which is blatantly false if you read the actual NHTSA document.

This is horrible reporting practice in my book (they should always link to the primary source even from the start), but maybe you are fine with it.

Last edited:
I've always said that FSD is not worth the added cost or the anxiety it induces while you let it drive. It's easier and less nerve-racking to drive yourself than to babysit a computer to make maneuvers that we humans could perform easily.

With that said, it's a "software" update and not a recall in the traditional sense. The media makes it seem like hundreds of thousands of Teslas need to be taken to the dealer for repairs when it's just a simple OTA update.
You’re missing out! I now have skinny little girl arms since I let the car steer on its own.

• Funny
Reactions: Macb00kemdanno
Does anyone know what version of FSD this recall applies to? I guess we assume that v11 will fix whatever it is.
My guess is it will not start with a “fix”, but rather more restrictions on FSD use, if not turning off some features entirely. If they could fix it, the software would have already been pushed. This recall might be reaction to NHTSA threatening to force FSD to be completely disabled until certain safety measures are met. I guess we will see what happens when that “recall” software update hits.

Reactions: jebinc
Oh look, apparently the sky is falling again, as is the norm every week. Meanwhile Ford is quietly asking owners to bring in their Lightnings because of actual physical, dangerous battery issues that can't be fixed OTA, has stopped building and had a fire at the factory - NHTSA of course does zilch and the media response is muted. Both media and NHTSA have basically zero credibility at this stage.

Reactions: jboy210
Oh look, apparently the sky is falling again, as is the norm every week. Meanwhile Ford is quietly asking owners to bring in their Lightnings because of actual physical, dangerous battery issues that can't be fixed OTA, has stopped building and had a fire at the factory - NHTSA of course does zilch and the media response is muted. Both media and NHTSA have basically zero credibility at this stage.
Ford on headlines does not grab attention or sell like Musk and Tesla. It’s like the one hot and one ugly sisters.

Reactions: richyrich
I wonder what media you are referring to. All the media I've seen so far has made it clear that it is an OTA, but yea, media loves to sensationalize and exaggerate most everything. by the way, FSD is a lot less stressful to me on those long drives, but that's just me I guess.
I love my FSDb. I used it on a 30 day cross country road trip. Worked like a charm. I was an FSDb tester but with the expanded deployment the tester camera went away. I have noticed some odd behavior on surface roads that I wish I had the camera to report. 1) indecision on lane choice and 2) way to wide left turn that took me of the road into the dirt.

Blue flashing light issues. To get this to stop I had to turn the steering wheel so much FSDb disengages. I talked to service about this last summer. They said it was a software issue and should be corrected soon. It seemed to get better but on a recent FSDb 8 hr road trip it was crazy. It was fine for the first 6 hrs of the drive, then it started flashing blue every minute or two and I had to turn the steering wheel hard to get it to stop with FSD disengaging several times.The car also quickly flashed several red warnings so fast I could not read them, also got a lot of phantom breaking, which I have not experienced in many months. I was alone on a dark mountain highway and driving carefully. I felt FSDb was degenerating. So I disengaged, when I found a place to pull off the road safely I parked the car, cleaned all the cameras and sat for a few minutes. Continued on FSDb without issue and the blue flashing light never can on again. I have never had the car behave like this before.

I do I have service appt when I get back home for a passenger seat belt safety warning so will talk to service about this experience then.

Any thoughts and feedback appreciated. Oh I have a 2021 Y.

• Informative
Reactions: Silicon Desert
If Tesla is forced to not allow the driver to set the speed limit above the posted speed limit ( since virtually ALL drivers drive over the speed limit, it would severely limit the usefulness of FSD beta.
The common issue that many are bringing up and demonstrating on YT videos is that the FSD driven car is not slowing down in a reasonable timeframe. Classic example is going from a 55+mph road to a small town with 25 or 30 mph speed limits and the car is still 'flying' at higher speeds when it enters town.

PPBW0U3.jpg

The common issue that many are bringing up and demonstrating on YT videos is that the FSD driven car is not slowing down in a reasonable timeframe. Classic example is going from a 55+mph road to a small town with 25 or 30 mph speed limits and the car is still 'flying' at higher speeds when it enters town.
FSDb waits to adjust speed until it just comes to the sign, rather than adjusting speed an advance when the sign is in view, as a human driver would. You can see how the maximum speed indicator changes just as the car passes the sign.

FSDb waits to adjust speed until it just comes to the sign, rather than adjusting speed an advance when the sign is in view, as a human driver would. You can see how the maximum speed indicator changes just as the car passes the sign.
The examples that I'm referring to are different than that. Even when the display's max speed indicator changes, there is a very very slow deceleration. There is plenty of time and distance to slow down before getting into the area (ie. town) but it is like they (FSDb coding) choose to "coast in Neutral" instead of applying modest regen to slow down. It is a problem that Youtubers have shown for several months.

Here is a simulation of the way Tesla treats FSDb vs AP but that YTer also has demonstrated it as they were driving into various towns.

Last edited:
per cnbc breaking news
Tesla recalls 362,758 vehicles, says full self-driving beta software may cause crashes (cnbc.com)

Tesla said Thursday it’s recalling “certain 2016-2023 Model S, Model X, 2017-2023 Model 3, and 2020-2023 Model Y vehicles equipped with Full Self-Driving Beta (FSD Beta) software or pending installation.” The recall includes 362,758 vehicles.

Tesla will release an over-the-air (OTA) software update, free of charge. Owner notification letters are expected to be mailed by

April 15, 2023. Owners may contact Tesla customer service at 1-877-798-3752. Tesla's number for this recall is SB-23-00-001.
Took my 2016 X with FSD beta in for other repairs (might have been around May) and they replaced the cameras as a warranty "upgrade". Could this have been the recall?

Being chicken, I've actually only tried the FSD once, about 4 months ago. I felt like a ping pong ball bouncing between the lines. Not a smooth ride. I turned it off. Could the car be learning? Or has software worked at smoothing this out? Or is this normal? I was on the Ontario 401 express highway doing 120kph, with light traffic.
I guess I have a thing about biofeedback. I never used cruise control either.

Took my 2016 X with FSD beta in for other repairs (might have been around May) and they replaced the cameras as a warranty "upgrade". Could this have been the recall?

Being chicken, I've actually only tried the FSD once, about 4 months ago. I felt like a ping pong ball bouncing between the lines. Not a smooth ride. I turned it off. Could the car be learning? Or has software worked at smoothing this out? Or is this normal? I was on the Ontario 401 express highway doing 120kph, with light traffic.
I guess I have a thing about biofeedback. I never used cruise control either.

In the persons quote that you quoted, it says " Tesla will release an OTA update, free of charge". Any action on the FSD recall was done via an OTA firmware update, so replacing your cameras was not a recall.

Reactions: richyrich