Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla recalls the boom box feature

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are studies that show people respond to yellow with attention. The yellow for the other people like you.
Yellow on black is actually the highest contrast combination and yellow is pretty universally used as a warning color. Remember not all blind people can’t see, many just can’t see week enough to depend on their eyes. For these people the yellow may be visible even if not distinguishable.

Reactions: Dan D. and Boza

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220213-144307_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20220213-144307_Google.jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 85
Reactions: ElectricIAC
You’re right. It is primarily aimed at ADA (Americans w/ disabilities act) for the blind and disabled. They just don’t flat out say that because it’s discrimination even if it’s positive discrimination. But it’s the same as having those yellow bumps at crosswalks and having crosswalks beep or chirp.

Source: I work with ADA Law

I think this basic concept that it helps other humans is obviously lost on some humans here. 😌

Interesting. Any new crosswalks in California must be yellow. Reading up on It I found that some cities choose to use red, but state can mandate a specific color. Yellow is the most common.
California must be on the yellow brick road, while other parts of the country are rust red uninfluenced by research and still tripping people and bicycles.

Several years ago when they implemented truncated domes and tactile warning devices, my new clinic was delayed from opening for three months because the ADA had not yet established the criteria for the bumps, but yet they were mandated for opening the building. We invested in concrete ones, concrete bumps painted red and finally red rubber inserts before being approved emphasizing my point about regulation.

For example in Philly alone, the cost of installing the now-mandated ramps at each of the city's 22,000 intersections will be $858 million, according to Streets Department Deputy Commissioner David Perri, consuming 65% of the cities paving budget.

• Informative
California must be on the yellow brick road, while other parts of the country are rust red uninfluenced by research and still tripping people and bicycles.

Several years ago when they implemented truncated domes and tactile warning devices, my new clinic was delayed from opening for three months because the ADA had not yet established the criteria for the bumps, but yet they were mandated for opening the building. We invested in concrete ones, concrete bumps painted red and finally red rubber inserts before being approved emphasizing my point about regulation.

For example in Philly alone, the cost of installing the now-mandated ramps at each of the city's 22,000 intersections will be $858 million, according to Streets Department Deputy Commissioner David Perri, consuming 65% of the cities paving budget.
I am an ADA investigator for a living. cASP certified. The whole system is really hard to deal with for businesses and there isn't really a clear entity to blame.

Unfortunately, building codes are all state/county regulated. ADA regulations for businesses and buildings are federal. So an architect can get full approval by county/state the building, build it, and a business can move in without a single ADA requirement being met. Then a disabled person can come in, have a problem, and sue. ADA law is over 25 years old and no one has been able to figure out a clear way to join state code and federal law together... they've tried. it's annoying. Thats where people like me come in. I inspect your business/property, tell you every little thing you can get sued for, and help you make a plan to fix it. Unfortunately, most businesses dont give a *sugar* before opening, someone in a wheelchair will have a problem with your door/ramp, and the court fees are enough to shut your business down for good.

But with the laws being around for 25+ years now, there's no excuse. and federal court will ALWAYS side with the disabled person, or its discrimination.

rant over. but those bumps are important.

My dog and girlfriend hear me drive into my street level car port from our 3rd floor apartment. I have to reverse into my spot. It’s not that quiet.
I was responding to the comment that mentions specifically that they couldn't hear it when going forward, and could only hear a sound going in reverse. The point is that it's very quiet when going forward, it's much louder (and a different sound, sounds like a UFO) when going in reverse.

• Informative
I was responding to the comment that mentions specifically that they couldn't hear it when going forward, and could only hear a sound going in reverse. The point is that it's very quiet when going forward, it's much louder (and a different sound, sounds like a UFO) when going in reverse.
I like how we all refer to the backup sound as a UFO sound even though none of us have ever heard a sound from a UFO. Why then do we always call it the UFO sound? I can only assume we all saw the Brady Bunch as kids!

Brady Bunch UFO sound

• Funny
Reactions: Boza
I'm about to order a Tesla :( very sad no Fart sound OR Jetsons Car sound. I so want that. There has got to be a work around for this

I saw a video of a company that does a speaker thing and has sounds that can play while you drive.. race car back end sounds
jump to 5.08 and you can hear the 12cyl sound, very nice. I think they have updated it since this video which was back in 2020

This “recall” is silly in my opinion.

Any fool can roll down their windows and blast music or sounds that drown out engine noise in an ICE vehicle - or Tesla external speaker noise. So why should external speaker noises that compete with or play over movement noise be problematic for Tesla?

Anyone can pop out 4 rivets with a flathead screwdriver and unplug the external speaker if they choose to circumvent the driving noise. They could even just duct tape over the grill. If someone is determined to not have this noise they can easily accomplish that.

Reactions: Fairchild
This “recall” is silly in my opinion.

Any fool can roll down their windows and blast music or sounds that drown out engine noise in an ICE vehicle - or Tesla external speaker noise. So why should external speaker noises that compete with or play over movement noise be problematic for Tesla?

Anyone can pop out 4 rivets with a flathead screwdriver and unplug the external speaker if they choose to circumvent the driving noise. They could even just duct tape over the grill. If someone is determined to not have this noise they can easily accomplish that.
There is a huge difference between “enabling” and “overriding”. Manufacturers are liable for “enabling”; you are liable for “overriding”.

Reactions: sleepydoc
There is a huge difference between “enabling” and “overriding”. Manufacturers are liable for “enabling”; you are liable for “overriding”.
Well, that neutralizes the argument made earlier that people would play blank sounds to prevent the driving sounds. If the driver is liable then why is it Tesla's problem?

Mixing in another sound with the forward and reverse sounds (as opposed to replacing the driving sounds) should be allowed because it is just more sound. Sounds occur from vehicles all the time. The screech of brakes, a radio playing with the window open. It's silly to disallow the function altogether. There are plenty of aftermarket car horns that are perfectly legal.

Well, that neutralizes the argument made earlier that people would play blank sounds to prevent the driving sounds. If the driver is liable then why is it Tesla's problem
Not really. Tesla made it easy for them - “enabler”.

While there could be ways to release the feature within the regulatory framework, I think Tesla decided that it was not worth it, at the moment. It was simple to just disable it and (probably) introduce it in a compliant way in the future.

Reactions: _Redshift_