Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla recalls the boom box feature

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Basically we're talking a nanny state. "You're too stupid to know what to do yourself, so we're not going to let you do anything." Why not let people be responsible for their own actions?

And, as a bike rider, I'm not worried about cars going slow, and I can hear anything going over about 15 mph. Electric and not. There were a lot of Teslas in my part of town where I rode.

Hah! I was surprised when Tesla released that, I was sure it was against some law. Seems I was right. You can use a recording that is blank, no noise at all, and use that as your sound when driving. In that situation there would be absolutely no noise outside and pedestrians wouldn't hear you. Using the external speaker when you're parked to play music is fine but you shouldn't be allowed to choose the sound bit that is used when driving. Note that we were not allowed to choose the reverse sound...
Maybe pedestrians should get off their phones and pay attention hehe

Basically we're talking a nanny state. "You're too stupid to know what to do yourself, so we're not going to let you do anything." Why not let people be responsible for their own actions?

And, as a bike rider, I'm not worried about cars going slow, and I can hear anything going over about 15 mph. Electric and not. There were a lot of Teslas in my part of town where I rode.

This rule is about protecting pedestrians and visually impaired persons from getting into an unfortunate and preventable accident. As many have pointed out, Tesla blithely pushed out a so-called feature that would have allowed people to record silence and broadcast that instead of the usual noise maker.

But of course, some types of people who don’t want to understand the logic or reason, lazily claim ‘this is all basically a NANNY state!’. 🙄🙄🙄

BTW, I also ride a bicycle. Sometimes when riding uphill, an older Tesla silently glides up to me, without me realizing until it is very close.

The law is the law. Elon seems to think he can just disregard it as he pleases. If you don't like the law, that's fine, try to get it changed. Don't just disregard it.

Reactions: sleepydoc
I don’t think so. Read the article on why it’s a safety issue. Don’t be a blind apologist to everything Tesla does.

Not everything is politically driven.
Three recalls (at least) for features that have been present for over a year. They all coincide with the new NHTSA head. Definitely not politically driven.

They are all for dumb, nitpicky things. Where's the data that anyone has been injured by any of this?

Three recalls (at least) for features that have been present for over a year. They all coincide with the new NHTSA head. Definitely not politically driven.

They are all for dumb, nitpicky things. Where's the data that anyone has been injured by any of this?

Sigh! People already said the following things:

1. It’s not allowed to modify the PWS, that’s the rule.
2. People might start recording and playing silence to defeat the warning system.

First one is a rule, second one a potential safety hazard.

If you believe these are “dumb, nitpicky things”, or that these are “politically driven”, well, those are your opinions.

You cannot violate a rule, and push out something that’s potentially unsafe and then ask folks to prove it isn’t safe.

That’s not how the real world works.

Good day, sir.

Last edited:
This rule is about protecting pedestrians and visually impaired persons from getting into an unfortunate and preventable accident. As many have pointed out, Tesla blithely pushed out a so-called feature that would have allowed people to record silence and broadcast that instead of the usual noise maker.

But of course, some types of people who don’t want to understand the logic or reason, lazily claim ‘this is all basically a NANNY state!’. 🙄🙄🙄

BTW, I also ride a bicycle. Sometimes when riding uphill, an older Tesla silently glides up to me, without me realizing until it is very close.
This is what I don’t understand. In my ‘21 MY (got last March) the original sound never gets replaced by the new sound. My system has always appeared to play the sound from my USB on top of the original Tesla sound. Which I thought was stupid so I never bothered to mess with it again.

I'm puzzled about one aspect of this. My 2020 MS is listed in the recall. However, since the day I got it, it never makes any sound from the external speaker going forward, unless I activate Boombox. The alien UFO sound in reverse is always there. Is that the sound that the NHTSA is trying to protect from Boombox? If not, why haven't these cars already been making any external sounds going forward?

Reactions: serendipitous

Exactly! When people start behaving like kids, instead of adults, you bring in the nanny.
Now, NHTSA should look into the UI (if they haven’t started already). We do crazy stuff and then complain when the regulator steps in.

Reactions: sleepydoc
I have noticed that when a political party wants to cause harm to a company or political opponent, they will begin a constant barrage of harassing legal investigations or lawsuits. They will not do this to members of their own party, but only to those they dislike for one reason or another. Proceedures used to bring their opposition to toe the party line and objectives.

I'm puzzled about one aspect of this. My 2020 MS is listed in the recall. However, since the day I got it, it never makes any sound from the external speaker going forward, unless I activate Boombox. The alien UFO sound in reverse is always there. Is that the sound that the NHTSA is trying to protect from Boombox? If not, why haven't these cars already been making any external sounds going forward?
My 2020 MS makes a sound when driving. It is much more subtle than the UFO sound and disappears at high speed. I discovered it when I drove in a garage with windows down. It is almost like if the sound from tires is amplified. Almost natural.

I have noticed that when a political party wants to cause harm to a company or political opponent, they will begin a constant barrage of harassing legal investigations or lawsuits. They will not do this to members of their own party, but only to those they dislike for one reason or another. Proceedures used to bring their opposition to toe the party line and objectives.

Tell you what - maybe Tesla breaking the rule not to tamper with PWS was also political!

Blew your mind, didn’t I. 😏

Reactions: COS Blue
It's clear that the objective was to go over Teslas with a fine-toothed comb and come down on them for any issue, no matter how minor to garner negative press and act as an annoyance.

It bothers me that this is what the NHTSA is wasting their time on, and it should bother everyone. They shouldn't be a political body.

"Someone could record silence and play that while driving." A non-issue. The forward sound is so quiet you can't even really hear it anyway. Also, it's pretty easy to unplug the speaker entirely if it's just your intention to defeat it. The use scenario for boombox is to play noise, not silence. If it's in violation of a regulation it's only because boombox wasn't contemplated when the regulation was written. Slavish adherence to these regulations and the refusal of the NHTSA to update them is why we don't have cool (and useful) things like side view cameras in place of mirrors and LED matrix headlights lights. I'd prefer NHTSA do something more productive. 🤷🏻‍♂️

But I get it, Elon rubbed some people the wrong way so Tesla must be publicly flogged.

Has anyone actually recorded silence to see if this even works? The board said that they were afraid that the noise from the recorded boombox feature would override and make the pedestrian warning noise unnoticeable. That makes it sound like you can't, in fact, defeat that noise even if you add sound to your speaker

Has anyone actually recorded silence to see if this even works? The board said that they were afraid that the noise from the recorded boombox feature would override and make the pedestrian warning noise unnoticeable. That makes it sound like you can't, in fact, defeat that noise even if you add sound to your speaker
From the description, it does sound like Tesla already factored in the minimum sound. Most likely what they do is play the sound in the background and then play the boombox on top. I believe that is the same thing they do in countries that don't allow a different horn sound. They just play the extra sound on top.

However, it's clear whatever Tesla did, NHTSA decided they would not allow it.

The sound from the PWS is much more quiet and natural. If you are in your garage you may hear it (you may need someone to put it in the drive mode and hear it yourself outside the car).

It's clear that the objective was to go over Teslas with a fine-toothed comb and come down on them for any issue, no matter how minor to garner negative press and act as an annoyance.

It bothers me that this is what the NHTSA is wasting their time on, and it should bother everyone. They shouldn't be a political body.

"Someone could record silence and play that while driving." A non-issue. The forward sound is so quiet you can't even really hear it anyway. Also, it's pretty easy to unplug the speaker entirely if it's just your intention to defeat it. The use scenario for boombox is to play noise, not silence. If it's in violation of a regulation it's only because boombox wasn't contemplated when the regulation was written. Slavish adherence to these regulations and the refusal of the NHTSA to update them is why we don't have cool (and useful) things like side view cameras in place of mirrors and LED matrix headlights lights. I'd prefer NHTSA do something more productive. 🤷🏻‍♂️

But I get it, Elon rubbed some people the wrong way so Tesla must be publicly flogged.

Yep, you got it. its all a witch-hunt. We need cutting-edge innovations like fart noises being loudly broadcast to outside of the car.

What the heck is NHTSA doing anyway. Let’s get rid of them.

Conservative delusional world is truly fascinating to behold. 😏