Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla reduced price by $2k for M3, $5k for S/X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, did Tesla just effectively lower the value of vehicles for people trying to sell them?

Yes, and all used car pricing is taking a complete dump, so this should not be surprising to anyone attempting to sell a used car. its going to be really bad selling any type of used car for the next while, what with one of the largest rental car companies in the world now having to dump used cars on an already depressed market.

Hello everybody! I posted in the thread in the main section, but thought I would post here too.

I just purchased my Model 3P on Monday, and today the price drop. Technically, I am within the 7 day return period. I would hate to do that. Does anyone know what’s been done in the past for people who bought just before the price drop? Refund of $2000? Tesla store credit?

I love the car, but am a little bummed about the $2000 price difference- that money could go towards window tinting, etc.

Thanks!

Hello everybody! I posted in the thread in the main section, but thought I would post here too.

I just purchased my Model 3P on Monday, and today the price drop. Technically, I am within the 7 day return period. I would hate to do that. Does anyone know what’s been done in the past for people who bought just before the price drop? Refund of $2000? Tesla store credit?

I love the car, but am a little bummed about the $2000 price difference- that money could go towards window tinting, etc.

Thanks!

Talk to your advisor. Keep in mind that if you return your car you can't order the same configuration for 12 months.

Reactions: MattUNI
If he has a spouse and that spouse wasn't on the original order .. then probably. I don't know the specifics. I'd just talk with his advisor.

I do have a spouse, and she wasn’t on the original order, so that is an option. I got my car from inventory, and the website shows that there are 3 other cars with the same spec in the area, so it’s a possibility. But I’d hate to have it come to that. I’d be happy with a credit for the store, as I can certainly find stuff that I want (HomeLink, extra charging cable, etc.). A $2000 refund would be even better.

Something to keep in mind, that the price of the car went down - but the price of FSD went up - it's almost a wash.

They always do this to keep people interested in buying. When federal rebates halved, prices dropped. FSD gone up, prices drop...

Also, do I see right, is free supercharging gone from new S/X orders now? This may also be a reason for the drop.

I do have a spouse, and she wasn’t on the original order, so that is an option. I got my car from inventory, and the website shows that there are 3 other cars with the same spec in the area, so it’s a possibility. But I’d hate to have it come to that. I’d be happy with a credit for the store, as I can certainly find stuff that I want (HomeLink, extra charging cable, etc.). A $2000 refund would be even better.
Well if you have any luck, let us know. I'm a little farther out, but tempted to try to get them to toss in the Acceleration boost to my LR AWD that is still sitting with a couple hundred miles on it lol.

So nothing on the Y? Wonder if we should cancel and wait until they have fulfilled all their pre-orders. The drop just deprecates your new purchase. The ID.4 coupe looks good and wonder what the specs on the Hyundai 45 pony will turn out to be. Both are to be considerably cheaper. Not driving too much and in no hurry. The battery production cost seem to be down but that is not realized in the Y. Y pre-orders? They raise prices due to dollar exchange rate; do they ever lower your pre-order?

Well if you have any luck, let us know. I'm a little farther out, but tempted to try to get them to toss in the Acceleration boost to my LR AWD that is still sitting with a couple hundred miles on it lol.

Does anyone know if I've ordered but am waiting for delivery in June if they'll honor the latest price drop? Obviously I have the option of cancelling the order and losing $100, but that may push me back to a deliveryndelivery quarter. Just curious if anyone has experience with this from previous price drops.

So nothing on the Y? Wonder if we should cancel and wait until they have fulfilled all their pre-orders. The drop just deprecates your new purchase. The ID.4 coupe looks good and wonder what the specs on the Hyundai 45 pony will turn out to be. Both are to be considerably cheaper. Not driving too much and in no hurry. The battery production cost seem to be down but that is not realized in the Y. Y pre-orders? They raise prices due to dollar exchange rate; do they ever lower your pre-order?

The Y pricing was lower than I expected, relative to the 3, So this price change brings the 3 to Y price difference more realistic.

This is amazing news!

Funny enough I test drove the Model Y LR and the Model 3 SR+ yesterday in Warwick, RI, and was hesitantly going to pick the Model 3 because of the price and it qualifying for Massachusetts' $2500 rebate program [Model 3 LR didn't qualify because the purchase price would be over $50k]. The reduction that happened today brings the LR Model 3 down to qualify for the rebate!

I'm super excited, I'll be ordering soon!

Yes, and all used car pricing is taking a complete dump, so this should not be surprising to anyone attempting to sell a used car. its going to be really bad selling any type of used car for the next while, what with one of the largest rental car companies in the world now having to dump used cars on an already depressed market.

Generally speaking I think a majority of the 15% laid off are not in the market for a $40,000+ car in the first place

Does anyone know if I've ordered but am waiting for delivery in June if they'll honor the latest price drop? Obviously I have the option of cancelling the order and losing $100, but that may push me back to a deliveryndelivery quarter. Just curious if anyone has experience with this from previous price drops.
Tesla will lower the price shown in your account. You don't need to do anything to get the lower price.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
Generally speaking I think a majority of the 15% laid off are not in the market for a $40,000+ car in the first place

Its more complex than that, quite apart from layoffs being in the 25% not the 15% range.

People who haven't been laid-off, unless they are in a secure job, are now worrying about being laid-off later this year, and people in that state of mind don't step out to spend a bunch of money, or sign up for a multi-year car loan. So its going to be a rough time for manufacturers of consumer products, outside of the consumer staples category.