Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla releases video showing full autonomy in real world

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Man, we are really tearing apart video of the first Tesla autonomous ride. :) I have only seen the video twice but I need to watch it a few more times to keep up :)
But the critical view can be constructive and hey, that's what we do.
Retrofitted? That would have to be very expensive. This is why I changed mine to a lease.

It's a divided road. The Tesla turns right into 1 of 2 lanes that are going in the same direction (you can see the roofs of cars traveling in the opposite direction on the other side of that hedge planted in the median). Also, of the 2 lanes of the traffic it can turn into, it 'chooses' the lane with no other cars in it.

Yes, it's divided, but I don't see why it matters. I think it's pretty dangerous to make a wide right turn across a lane with a car approaching to get into the left lane where there is no car. It's possible for the approaching car in the right lane to block your view of what's in the left lane.

You are making the assumption that just because a few of the obvious visual changes implemented in V8 are noticeable in the video means that the car is running V8. That is an unwarranted assumption since you do not have access to the vehicle to look at the window in the center display that shows the version number, and even if you could do that you do not have the same access to the vehicle that Tesla engineers do.
Which is why I specify 8.x rather than just 8. A v9 would probably have another UI refresh and if they had any sense, bring back the function icons rather than auto hiding it. Besides, why are you critiquing about 8.x when I already said my original post was meant to be in jest?

The 24 second mark was scary. I would never, ever pull out from a driveway like this without stopping (I realize the video was sped up at that point, but the car did not stop). There wasn't any visibility to humans or a machine at that turn. This is dangerous to any neighborhood with kids and pets.

That said, it's an impressive demo otherwise.

Last edited:
The 24 second mark was scary. I would never, ever pull out from a driveway like this without stopping (I realize the video was sped up at that point, but the car did not stop). There wasn't any visibility to humans or a machine at that turn. This is dangerous to any neighborhood with kids and pets.

Is it really pulling out that fast or does it seem that way because they sped the video up?

You can clearly see no cars coming prior to making the turn.
Jeez, you guys are acting like me when instructing my kids on driving. STOP! NO! Not like that! 2 LANES!! HOLY SHI..........! HIT THE BRAKES!
Anyone who has been there can relate :)
You just witnessed a car drive itself from start to destination and all I hear is "It took that one turn too wide."

Besides, why are you critiquing about 8.x when I already said my original post was meant to be in jest?

Sometimes the written word does not show intent. Though I knew it was in jest when I read it but i'm just of average intelligence. Sometimes the geniuses don't get the joke :)

• Funny
Reactions: davidc18
Yes, it's divided, but I don't see why it matters. I think it's pretty dangerous to make a wide right turn across a lane with a car approaching to get into the left lane where there is no car. It's possible for the approaching car in the right lane to block your view of what's in the left lane.

I see your point now.

When I look at that part of the video, the approaching car in the near lane looks far enough away that it seems the Tesla gets a reasonably long view into the far lane, allowing it to determine that a. the car in the near lane isn't going to present a problem, b. the car in the near lane also isn't obscuring any other vehicle in the far lane that would be close enough to cause a problem, and c. the far lane would even be the preferable lane because there's nothing in that lane.

Having said that, the fact that the video cuts from the Model X's on board cameras to the camera inside the cabin and back again and back again (and is even sped up a bit) makes it a little difficult to gauge exactly how close the Tesla is cutting things. I wish we could have continued the view from the left rearward vehicle camera for a few more seconds to see exactly how fast those other cars were that were coming up on the Model X after it made the turn.

I see your point now.

When I look at that part of the video, the approaching car in the near lane looks far enough away that it seems the Tesla gets a reasonably long view into the far lane, allowing it to determine that a. the car in the near lane isn't going to present a problem, b. the car in the near lane also isn't obscuring any other vehicle in the far lane that would be close enough to cause a problem, and c. the far lane would even be the preferable lane because there's nothing in that lane.

Having said that, the fact that the video cuts from the Model X's on board cameras to the camera inside the cabin and back again and back again (and is even sped up a bit) makes it a little difficult to gauge exactly how close the Tesla is cutting things. I wish we could have continued the view from the left rearward vehicle camera for a few more seconds to see exactly how fast those other cars were that were coming up on the Model X after it made the turn.

CVC 22100 generally requires all right-turning traffic to use the closest lane. It is not well known or followed, however, and little enforced. But depending on the angle of the "left rear camera", the Tesla may well be making a clean turn into the right lane, then shortly after changing lanes to be in the left lane. There looks to be as much as a second edited out here. The Google Street View car in the latest imagery from this location actually starts changing lanes just after the intersection and is nearly done at the point where the video switches to the front camera on the Tesla, showing it less than halfway through a lane change.

All the turns in the parking lot seem rather wide, though, like it is over-optimizing for gentle curves rather than staying on its half of the road.

Reactions: Archduke
Perhaps no cars coming, but there was small hill on the left side that obscured the street and a parked Acura behind it (at left), and it pulled out behind it without stopping. It's just not something I would have done.

It's odd to contrast this with the long pause at the subsequent stop sign and coming to a legally-not-required complete stop at the yield sign at 0:44. It almost seems as if the car did not realize that there was an intersection exiting the driveway.

I wonder whether real world data captured by human Tesla drivers are processed specific to the roads they were captured in, or generic manner. Because things discussed here may just be a reflection of what human drivers normally perform at those locations.