Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla removing some automatic window features to comply with NHTSA regulations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What software version are you on? I'm on 2022.44.25.3 and I still have it. I think the statement in the OP is about a future update? Kind of unclear, I'd think by now the feature would be turned off if our cars didn't meet the regs, since they shipped new cars without it in Sept/Oct sometime.

There was supposedly a recall that fixed it for 1.1 M cars around that time too, maybe the fix corrected the sensitivity and we're good?
Also on 2022.45.3. Hopefully you’re right that it’s already fixed, but weird that it wouldn’t have been implemented for the newer cars too.

As an engineer used to reading technical standards, this is my 2c...

Firstly, it seems there is nothing new here at all in terms of the requirements! You can roll back the standard five years online and the wording is identical. The requirements themselves look pretty ancient in fact - I've had cars over 20 years old with window systems that seem designed around exactly those or very similar requirements, e.g. needing ignition on, or ignition off but before you open the door, or continuous button press, etc. Note the wording Tesla uses in their message - 'due to recent federal regulations'. Cheeky! Implying new regulations without actually saying 'new', because they aren't new!

The requirements themselves:

S4 gives specific circumstances under which the windows can be closed - e.g. manually, with ignition on, continuous remote button press etc. Under these circumstances you wouldn't even need an auto stop and reverse safety feature

S5 essentially says 'or, you can close a window however and whenever you want provided it has an auto stop and reverse feature that meets the following requirements...'

Tesla (and other manufacturers) systems like close on lock (without continuous press), close from app, etc do not fall under the circumstances of S4, therefore they are relying on an auto stop and reverse feature complying with S5.

So it's reasonably clear that all that has happened here is that Tesla's auto stop and reverse feature has found to be non-compliant with S5. They tried to fix it with an update, but that has not worked and so now they have to disable those features that do not fall under S4.

Am I reading the original link correctly in that this is only a downgrade for USA / Canada based Tesla vehicles?

I'm in EU and would like to keep the "vent" feature.

There's a thread about this in the UK section also. Someone dug up the EU technical requirements and they are pretty much identical to the NHTSA requirements. So there's a good chance this does make it across the pond. :(

• Helpful
Reactions: jeewee3000
I just disconnected from my wifi, we’ll see if it is is forced over LTE eventually.

I’m not going to voluntarily give up auto rolling up windows on walk away lock or remote venting/closing.

This is the first car I've had that updates like a smart phone, I’ll survive just fine without any further updates for a long while. The feature set in 2022.44.25.3 which is the version I’m on works just fine.
Will that work? I hope so....

I suppose it depends on the updates but you can't choose which aspect of the update to download and which to ignore can you? I assume you'll miss out on some potentially good updates. It would be nice to pick and choose which aspects of the update you want and not have to download the whole thing.

Disconnecting from wifi will lower the number of updates the car downloads, but not stop them. You can still just refuse them though either way (usually). I have been for two years, and none have forced themselves yet. I get about 4 updates downloaded a year or so. The notifications for each seem to go away after about two weeks.
Tesla will not force an update installation because doing so makes the car unusable until the update is complete. Since Tesla has no way of knowing when you will not need the car, they have no way of knowing when it's safe to start an installation.

Tesla will not force an update installation because doing so makes the car unusable until the update is complete. Since Tesla has no way of knowing when you will not need the car, they have no way of knowing when it's safe to start an installation.
Some people have reported it did eventually happen to them, but as I said it has not happened to me yet. Probably just depends on if they consider it a critical update for your particular car config.

I just disconnected from my wifi, we’ll see if it is is forced over LTE eventually.

I’m not going to voluntarily give up auto rolling up windows on walk away lock or remote venting/closing.

This is the first car I've had that updates like a smart phone, I’ll survive just fine without any further updates for a long while. The feature set in 2022.44.25.3 which is the version I’m on works just fine.
I went 6mo in order to keep my radar... Threw in the towel this month. Too many updates were made and the chances of having my warranty voided kept increasing. If they made some minor change to motor performance then you have an issue with a motor without being on the latest version, you may be in trouble.

As I said, I went 6mos then decided to give up following distance "1" and 90mph AP after seeing a bunch of safety and charging enhancements. I wish you luck though. The cool thing is, if you DO eventually update, you get a TON of stuff all at once.

Ah but now you can look inside and outside of the car before closing ….. I get it though. Just make the reversal mechanism more sensitive so as not to injure if someone is breaking in the car without your knowledge 😬. I just love the capability. I use it daily. Getting caught by the window is much safer than being caught by the owner 🤣

Ah but now you can look inside and outside of the car before closing ….. I get it though. Just make the reversal mechanism more sensitive so as not to injure if someone is breaking in the car without your knowledge 😬. I just love the capability. I use it daily. Getting caught by the window is much safer than being caught by the owner 🤣
It is more about having the window down and a child walks up and sticks their fingers in the window as you happened to close the windows and breaks their fingers or hand. I know it is improbable but it does and has happened. So you can't close windows unless you can see they are clear of little hands.

Just make the reversal mechanism more sensitive
Tesla struggles with this. When we first got our Y, bumpy roads would reverse the windows going up, they were so sensitive.

Then an update came, and they close much more reliably.

We have an early double front window, and single rear window, before they started shipping all 4 double glazed. My guess is they tried to get away with leaving the calibration at the single window setting.

Then they re-calibrated, and maybe went too far? Tricky to use the current draw as a metric relating to a blocked window, the friction in the system can change a lot with freezing vs blazing heat conditions. (I hear they use current draw as the measurement, but not 100% sure).