Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla removing transferable supercharging from existing owners?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn't call anyone a liar so don't use hyperbole to make it seem more malicious than it was. I only stated that the information they were presenting wasn't entirely accurate. I even went on to specify on one of these inaccuracies. There's no reason to make this something it's not via passive aggressiveness.

In an effort to "help" there is a TON of misinformation being presented as fact on these forums. This happens frequently enough unchecked and nobody remembers what the original source was for the "facts" which maybe aren't even accurate. This happened a while back when Tesla did away with FUSC on new cars being manufactured and it was crazy how fast people assumed this applied to ALL cars and parroted that info as fact. They couldn't change this agreement retroactively w/o BOTH parties consenting to the new terms of the agreement which dozens of people on this very forum swore was the case because they "heard" it.

There was another recent instance where someone misread a 3rd party article (read: not an actual document or statement BY Tesla) about how Tesla was removing this from used car that TESLA sold. They took it to mean that it applied it to all 3rd party dealerships & were presenting that as fact to someone trying to get information that had no idea. The article linked to didn't even mention the word dealership once. The person presenting "facts" told the new car shopper that the used cars offered by Tesla had FUSC and that the ones sold at 3rd party dealers didn't... both of these "facts" by someone "just helping" were inaccurate.

This appears to be happening again in Point #1 above. Now, suddenly and w/o any sort of supporting proof, we're expected to just believe that it applies to cars that are sold by 3rd party dealers who got the car at auction? That's in clear violation of the terms of the original sale of that vehicle and I have yet to see a single official document from Tesla that back that claim that FUSC is removed from used cars that had been sold used by 3rd party dealers.

All I'm asking is for actual sources for that person's information. You seemed to think it was acceptable to require it of me for merely questioning the legitimacy of the information but why not the person who actually posted the information in the first place?

I used lots of words so that makes me mad? Excellent assumption because I'm SOOO mad! Grrrrrr

lol

This is a great bit of misdirection to try to distract from the real issue here and paint the picture of me being some pissed of crazy person which couldn't be further from reality. Nice try though. How 'bout for future interactions you just don't go at people's personal traits and stick to the topic?

It doesn't matter if you bought one, seven or zero... if you're on here spouting misinformation as fact you're not "helping" anyone so stop breaking your arm patting yourself on the back for the wonderful work you did. Simply posting nothing at all would have been more helpful than taking the time to offer misinformation to someone who may already be confused by all of this.

You're so proud of yourself for being part of the problem by your own admission. This stuff would be hilarious if it wasn't so annoying.

IOW the person complaining about lack of facts (you) has none of his own to offer. Love the internet.

IOW the person complaining about lack of facts (you) has none of his own to offer. Love the internet.
Isle of Wight? People who use acronyms nobody else knows to make it seem like they're smarter than everyone else impresses me.

So, just to recap, you're cool with someone "helping" by posting "facts" that "sound right" w/o any sort of supporting information or citations. Meanwhile, the person who requests sources or some form of proof (me in this case) for the incorrect information presented as fact is the focus of your cynicism & desire for backing information? That's where your flags go up and you want more information... the guy asking for more information? ROFL

You're the same person who retweets and shares posts that are entirely made up before doing an ounce of your own research to determine if it's even factual or not, aren't you?

You're right, the internet is super sweet.

I recently bought a 2013 Model S 85 with free unlimited supercharging. Here is what I could clarify:

1) If the MS is sold through 3rd party dealer with dealer buying it through AUCTION (check vehicle history report like Carfax), free supercharging will NOT transfer. Most MS sold through auction are to 3rd party dealer, and most dealers do not transfer the car to their name. so when you are trying to buy the MS from the dealer, it will still say the MS has free unlimited supercharging.

2) If the MS is sold through Tesla CPO program, free supercharging will not transfer. Tesla website states so. This is pretty clear

3) If the MS is sold through 3rd party dealer with previous owner trade-in, free supercharging will NOT transfer. HOWEVER, there is work around to it. PM for detail.

4) The ONLY way the free unlimited supercharging will transfer is through private sales (person to person).

I hope it helps!
Isle of Wight? People who use acronyms nobody else knows to make it seem like they're smarter than everyone else impresses me.

So, just to recap, you're cool with someone "helping" by posting "facts" that "sound right" w/o any sort of supporting information or citations. Meanwhile, the person who requests sources or some form of proof (me in this case) for the incorrect information presented as fact is the focus of your cynicism & desire for backing information? That's where your flags go up and you want more information... the guy asking for more information? ROFL

You're the same person who retweets and shares posts that are entirely made up before doing an ounce of your own research to determine if it's even factual or not, aren't you?

You're right, the internet is super sweet.
I'm not trying to cause any issues...I can't speak much for @Worldtraveler per #1. I personally got a used 90d with free unlimited charging from Tesla's used website in march or april of this year...and noticed shortly after that all listings no longer included that. I directly contacted several sellers (as mine was totaled when airbags deployed in a 15mph peak-traffic-accident) and have been searching for a replacement since. During the long insurance process, i fought to have it repaired as FUSC was no longer available and at the time, i found documents stating they followed the life of the car (not owner) for a few 16's and those prior (per the vague and date-changed announcements regarding purchase dates/delivery dates) but I cannot find those online anymore. This caused me to try to prevent my car from being deemed totaled because a salvage would negate that. I failed there as supposedly the airbags alone were $30k plus but the big (and my biggest frustration) thing was that they found one of my rims had an aftermarket weld that Tesla's so called 70pt inspection missed...and that's what deemed it unsafe to be repaired...(tangent)

Per other threads, a lot of current "grandfathered" in owners have noticed the supercharging info on their accounts changing, causing a lot of confusion.

I can't confirm this, but it seems that for those who had/have the transferrable FUSC (non-referral based and mostly '15s and older), that now only transfers to the next owner. So if they sell it to a dealer/3rd party/Tesla mostly, that is where the line ends. As for private sales: it SEEMS that if it's from the original owner, it should be fine. If it is from a second owner (who purchased it after the first announcement) it get's convoluted again even though it shouldn't

The biggest things I'm having a hard time finding to provide concrete information are original owners' purchase agreements, window stickers, etc. Most people have said they paid more for that option alone or for a higher package so it was included. Some owners have also said it should always be tied to the vin but tesla's announcements seem to change that and we can all agree, their support sucks. If anyone can provide docs from their purchase, that would help immensely!

I have tried to find a contract or purchase agreement from an original owner that mentions anything about the FUSC for the life of the car but to no avail

I'm not trying to cause any issues...I can't speak much for @Worldtraveler per #1. I personally got a used 90d with free unlimited charging from Tesla's used website in march or april of this year...and noticed shortly after that all listings no longer included that. I directly contacted several sellers (as mine was totaled when airbags deployed in a 15mph peak-traffic-accident) and have been searching for a replacement since. During the long insurance process, i fought to have it repaired as FUSC was no longer available and at the time, i found documents stating they followed the life of the car (not owner) for a few 16's and those prior (per the vague and date-changed announcements regarding purchase dates/delivery dates) but I cannot find those online anymore. This caused me to try to prevent my car from being deemed totaled because a salvage would negate that. I failed there as supposedly the airbags alone were $30k plus but the big (and my biggest frustration) thing was that they found one of my rims had an aftermarket weld that Tesla's so called 70pt inspection missed...and that's what deemed it unsafe to be repaired...(tangent)

Per other threads, a lot of current "grandfathered" in owners have noticed the supercharging info on their accounts changing, causing a lot of confusion.

I can't confirm this, but it seems that for those who had/have the transferrable FUSC (non-referral based and mostly '15s and older), that now only transfers to the next owner. So if they sell it to a dealer/3rd party/Tesla mostly, that is where the line ends. As for private sales: it SEEMS that if it's from the original owner, it should be fine. If it is from a second owner (who purchased it after the first announcement) it get's convoluted again even though it shouldn't

The biggest things I'm having a hard time finding to provide concrete information are original owners' purchase agreements, window stickers, etc. Most people have said they paid more for that option alone or for a higher package so it was included. Some owners have also said it should always be tied to the vin but tesla's announcements seem to change that and we can all agree, their support sucks. If anyone can provide docs from their purchase, that would help immensely!

I have tried to find a contract or purchase agreement from an original owner that mentions anything about the FUSC for the life of the car but to no avail

Honestly, you've gone to a lot of work to preserve something that may save you a few hundred bucks a year or so in Supercharger fees. The average each owner saves is actually surprisingly low. It was a great marketing gimmick by Tesla and the only reason they took it away was the stalls were becoming crowded and they had the foresight to see that that wasn't sustainable. Too bad they didn't apply the same vision to their customer service department. I digress.

The FUSC you speak of was included with ALL cars manufactured until January of 2017. This doesn't matter if you sell it private party or trade it in to a 3rd party dealership for a F150... it transfers forever and ever free of charge to the next owner. Period. Simple as that.

The ONLY way this differs is if you choose to trade the car in or lease return it to Tesla directly. If this happens, Tesla can (and has as of a few months ago) determined that a new contract exists between Tesla and the new buyer that removes FUSC from that car. This is a recent change and ONLY cars that Tesla resells themselves are affected by this. They can pick and choose which cars to give it back to in an effort to help try to sell them or something. In this case, FUSC as we know it will not transfer to the next owner and anyone who buys one of those cars agrees to those new terms as it's described on the listing. So this is a case by case basis and the buyer should know the terms they're agreeing to at the time of purchase.

This is the problem with posts like what have been posted in this thread; someone who doesn't know what they're talking about tries to "help" by posting something that's incorrect. Then, someone like you trying to research only finds a few mentions on a couple of threads that sound so convincing and bam! That must be right. Then, w/o knowing any better you begin to repeat the same "facts" until it becomes widespread and everyone believes this is how it is.

Nobody does it maliciously but that doesn't make the information any less wrong. That's the frustrating part because it's how so many function these days rather than question the source of the "facts" and finding out where those "facts" actually came from. Everyone is trying to "help" but in the end all they're doing is harming others seeking real information.

Reactions: tls and Sherlo
Honestly, you've gone to a lot of work to preserve something that may save you a few hundred bucks a year or so in Supercharger fees. The average each owner saves is actually surprisingly low. It was a great marketing gimmick by Tesla and the only reason they took it away was the stalls were becoming crowded and they had the foresight to see that that wasn't sustainable. Too bad they didn't apply the same vision to their customer service department. I digress.

The FUSC you speak of was included with ALL cars manufactured until January of 2017. This doesn't matter if you sell it private party or trade it in to a 3rd party dealership for a F150... it transfers forever and ever free of charge to the next owner. Period. Simple as that.

The ONLY way this differs is if you choose to trade the car in or lease return it to Tesla directly. If this happens, Tesla can (and has as of a few months ago) determined that a new contract exists between Tesla and the new buyer that removes FUSC from that car. This is a recent change and ONLY cars that Tesla resells themselves are affected by this. They can pick and choose which cars to give it back to in an effort to help try to sell them or something. In this case, FUSC as we know it will not transfer to the next owner and anyone who buys one of those cars agrees to those new terms as it's described on the listing. So this is a case by case basis and the buyer should know the terms they're agreeing to at the time of purchase.

This is the problem with posts like what have been posted in this thread; someone who doesn't know what they're talking about tries to "help" by posting something that's incorrect. Then, someone like you trying to research only finds a few mentions on a couple of threads that sound so convincing and bam! That must be right. Then, w/o knowing any better you begin to repeat the same "facts" until it becomes widespread and everyone believes this is how it is.

Nobody does it maliciously but that doesn't make the information any less wrong. That's the frustrating part because it's how so many function these days rather than question the source of the "facts" and finding out where those "facts" actually came from. Everyone is trying to "help" but in the end all they're doing is harming others seeking real information.
Haha, I will admit that the one attempt I took to look into supercharging rates...I saw kwh and foolishly didn't want to look past that to figure it out :) My work has me between San Diego and Santa Barbara and my complex wouldn't allow for a level 2 charger so charging overnight is useless lol and with other plugins/EVs, it's still pretty hard to find open level 2 chargers.

As for the service department...I can't agree more. If they could just reply to emails inquiring, that would clear things up a lot!
I was of the same understanding for pre 17 cars until hearing/reading some stories.

I could only find this:

“Tesla has specified that Model S and Model X vehicles come with “free Supercharger access for the life of the car,” and Tesla communications manager Alexis Georgeson confirmed to C/D that unlimited Supercharger privileges follow the vehicle, not the owner.”

Used Teslas Get Added Value As Unlimited Charging Ends – News – Car and Driver

Jan 18, 2017

but then saw this:
“There is, however, one other potential way to receive free Supercharging, but it has nothing to do with Tesla itself – and therein lies a problem. This would require one to purchase a used Tesla from a third-party or directly from an owner already eligible for free Supercharging. However, this purchase will somehow have to be kept a secret, at least from Tesla. Back in 2017, the company changed its policy as the Free Unlimited Supercharging became linked to vehicle ownership; it was no longer transferable."

In The Market For A Used Tesla? Read This First

July 23, 2019

And was concerned because I've read many posts where people purchased cars that shouldve had FUSC and had it for awhile on their tesla account, only to have it removed. Someone mentioned that if the previous owner had registered the car after 2017, they are now subjected to the new policy aforementioned as a way to explain to people who might've lost it that they need to buy from the original owner or a previous owner who registered the car prior to the policy change.

But...as you said, I am not posting this as a fact and regrettably and probably only adding to the spreading of confusion. But this is something that I havent been able to confirm either due to Tesla's poor support and lack of readily available concrete information.

Haha, I will admit that the one attempt I took to look into supercharging rates...I saw kwh and foolishly didn't want to look past that to figure it out :) My work has me between San Diego and Santa Barbara and my complex wouldn't allow for a level 2 charger so charging overnight is useless lol and with other plugins/EVs, it's still pretty hard to find open level 2 chargers.

As for the service department...I can't agree more. If they could just reply to emails inquiring, that would clear things up a lot!
I was of the same understanding for pre 17 cars until hearing/reading some stories.

I could only find this:

“Tesla has specified that Model S and Model X vehicles come with “free Supercharger access for the life of the car,” and Tesla communications manager Alexis Georgeson confirmed to C/D that unlimited Supercharger privileges follow the vehicle, not the owner.”

Used Teslas Get Added Value As Unlimited Charging Ends – News – Car and Driver

Jan 18, 2017

but then saw this:
“There is, however, one other potential way to receive free Supercharging, but it has nothing to do with Tesla itself – and therein lies a problem. This would require one to purchase a used Tesla from a third-party or directly from an owner already eligible for free Supercharging. However, this purchase will somehow have to be kept a secret, at least from Tesla. Back in 2017, the company changed its policy as the Free Unlimited Supercharging became linked to vehicle ownership; it was no longer transferable."

In The Market For A Used Tesla? Read This First

July 23, 2019

And was concerned because I've read many posts where people purchased cars that shouldve had FUSC and had it for awhile on their tesla account, only to have it removed. Someone mentioned that if the previous owner had registered the car after 2017, they are now subjected to the new policy aforementioned as a way to explain to people who might've lost it that they need to buy from the original owner or a previous owner who registered the car prior to the policy change.

But...as you said, I am not posting this as a fact and regrettably and probably only adding to the spreading of confusion. But this is something that I havent been able to confirm either due to Tesla's poor support and lack of readily available concrete information.

You are overriding an actual Tesla statement of fact, that which all know to be true for years, based on a poorly worded blog entry from.... something called "car buzz" ?? This is the next step and why I request source information for these outlandish "facts" because most of the time there's nothing to back them up and when there is the source is usually not a credible source for such things. Car Buzz is not the authority in Supercharging nor are they able to speak towards or amend contract terms between Tesla and owners.

A while back Tesla made some changes to their website which has been ongoing and a continued boondoggle. It has caused LOTS of errors all over the website and user accounts hasn't been immune to this. Just because some wording on some people's accounts briefly changed doesn't actually change anything. I don't think I read of a single owner who saw their account changed that was also then charged for using Supercharging. Similar mistakes were made with how the different warranties displayed on accounts or dates but people still got their cars fixed under warranty just fine.

Much of this has since been fixed and it was a large freak out by a few owners that was then blown out of proportion with lots of twists and turns to the story which caused widespread panic. It also left behind a trail of posts where people swore one thing and many believed and that became how things were even though they were completely false.

I also think that things like this are speaking negatives into reality. You say it enough and it becomes the way things are. It also enabled Tesla to gauge the backlash and determine it would be an acceptable way to slowly and quietly eradicate FUSC from the face of the earth. That's an entirely other conversation though about self-fulfilling prophecy and how these stupid made up "facts" can hose us all in the end. I'd have to get the tinfoil hat out to discuss that plus it's off topic so we'll just leave that be.

It also enabled Tesla to gauge the backlash and determine it would be an acceptable way to slowly and quietly eradicate FUSC from the face of the earth.
While I appreciate your attempt to stick to verified facts, now you're just making up stuff and ascribing motives to Tesla for which you have no evidence. Here's a bit of evidence to the contrary: I just got e-mail from Tesla that encouraged me to trade in my Model S for a new S or X, and it said "All new Model S and Model X come standard with free unlimited Supercharging,..." so if they're trying to "quietly eradicate FUSC" they're not doing very well at following their own plan.

While I appreciate your attempt to stick to verified facts, now you're just making up stuff and ascribing motives to Tesla for which you have no evidence. Here's a bit of evidence to the contrary: I just got e-mail from Tesla that encouraged me to trade in my Model S for a new S or X, and it said "All new Model S and Model X come standard with free unlimited Supercharging,..." so if they're trying to "quietly eradicate FUSC" they're not doing very well at following their own plan.

Of course I don't have any evidence as I was just being facetious with my tongue planted firmly in my cheek with that portion of the post. I love how THAT is the point people want further clarification on when I clearly was presenting it as conjecture and not fact. Meanwhile people can post all sorts of misinformation presented as fact that's more critical to the decision making process and that goes unchecked.

So you got a marketing email and they wanted to sell you something? No way! lol I'm kidding again in case I needed to say it but this only supports what I've said as they used that as a sales incentive to try to sell more Model S and X since the numbers had dropped the first half of the year. It's a limited time promotion trying to push end-of-year sales numbers. I also believe it applies to the new owner only and doesn't transfer to subsequent owners (I'm not buying new so I haven't researched this to great lengths and that bit may not be entirely accurate as I'm just going off of limited memory regarding issues that didn't matter to me enough to retain) which also further backs up my point as it's a short-term promotion given how long the average person owns their cars these days. It's also in effect until the numbers of the S and X pick up. If they don't they can leave it since a few S and X here and there with that feature aren't going to massively overtax the Supercharger network.

Last edited:
I have been struggling through this. I bought a 2014 S60 privately from the original owner. He had paid to enable supercharging in early 2015. I bought the car in mid-September, Tesla finally changed the ownership over early October and it was put to pay-per-use supercharging. I have spoken with many customer service representatives, about 2/3rd of which agree that I should have free unlimited supercharging and the other third came up with some weird reasons: “we no longer offer this promotion”, “the early 85s were transferable, not the 60s”, “I’m not familiar with that so I can’t help with that”, etc. The ones who agreed with me said they sent an email to another internal department and I should hear back in x business days. I’d course I don’t, call back a few additional business days after that and am given a different story and the process starts again.

During all of this, I’m racking up supercharging charges. $100-ish isn the end of the world, but frustrating as I won’t get it back and I shouldn’t have to pay it in the first place.

I’m happy for any input on any supporting information that people have used successfully in the past.

I brought a 2014 S60, the previous owner paid for Unlimited SC.
When it came in to my name it was gone, 400kwh per year only.

After multiple calls with Tesla and each person giving a different opinion on whether I should have it / have it transferred I finally spoke to someone who was really normal.

That person looked at it, and re-enable free SC and apologised.

Had I not got through to that person, I would have not got it back....
It’s all about who you speak to unfortunately and the miss information internally about this subject.

You are overriding an actual Tesla statement of fact, that which all know to be true for years, based on a poorly worded blog entry from.... something called "car buzz" ?? This is the next step and why I request source information for these outlandish "facts" because most of the time there's nothing to back them up and when there is the source is usually not a credible source for such things. Car Buzz is not the authority in Supercharging nor are they able to speak towards or amend contract terms between Tesla and owners.

A while back Tesla made some changes to their website which has been ongoing and a continued boondoggle. It has caused LOTS of errors all over the website and user accounts hasn't been immune to this. Just because some wording on some people's accounts briefly changed doesn't actually change anything. I don't think I read of a single owner who saw their account changed that was also then charged for using Supercharging. Similar mistakes were made with how the different warranties displayed on accounts or dates but people still got their cars fixed under warranty just fine.

Much of this has since been fixed and it was a large freak out by a few owners that was then blown out of proportion with lots of twists and turns to the story which caused widespread panic. It also left behind a trail of posts where people swore one thing and many believed and that became how things were even though they were completely false.

I also think that things like this are speaking negatives into reality. You say it enough and it becomes the way things are. It also enabled Tesla to gauge the backlash and determine it would be an acceptable way to slowly and quietly eradicate FUSC from the face of the earth. That's an entirely other conversation though about self-fulfilling prophecy and how these stupid made up "facts" can hose us all in the end. I'd have to get the tinfoil hat out to discuss that plus it's off topic so we'll just leave that be.
I'm not overriding anything first and foremost. I could refer to a way earlier Elon statement that we all know has changed. It is quite clear from the multiple forum threads and multitude of other concerned/questioning postings cross-media, that no one knows anything "to be true for years". Yes...carbuzz is not the authority nor can they amend contract terms but they were right about the policy change as tesla reps have even stated that transfer policy changed as of 7/19/19. There are also many postings on these forums, tesla's forums, redditt, etc from people who purchased used model s with FUSC that have had it changed...whether eliminated, limited, or eventually honored. And contrary to your opinion of things being fixed...they have not been and that has only added to owner/potential owner confusion as well as inconsistent information directly from Tesla's shoddy customer service teams. Don't take this the wrong way, text (even as you alluded to) is hard to interpret...there is no hostility on my end. I was actually agreeing with you previously about trying to find definitive answers. I don't think there will be one...it seems to be luck of the draw on who you speak with and how persistent you are.
I will however disagree completely about things like this "speaking negatives into reality". If anything, the amount of posts, the resulting anger with tesla's customer service, on top of tesla's already sinking ship...proves it is not an acceptable way to eradicate FUSC. It was well known in 2016 that they needed to limit it, the way they are doing it is horrible. Their layoffs, horrible service, policy changes, etc have harmed them more than the losses from the model 3...has put tesla to the point where they had to incentivize people to purchase new again, hence the FUSC revival with it's clearly stated limitations. Switching from allowing people to trade in and get FUSC transferred to a newer model and tied to the owner to offering on new models...they would be foolish to offer out any official facts because that would only cause more backlash and harm them in the long run...IMO.

I'm not overriding anything first and foremost. I could refer to a way earlier Elon statement that we all know has changed. It is quite clear from the multiple forum threads and multitude of other concerned/questioning postings cross-media, that no one knows anything "to be true for years". Yes...carbuzz is not the authority nor can they amend contract terms but they were right about the policy change as tesla reps have even stated that transfer policy changed as of 7/19/19. There are also many postings on these forums, tesla's forums, redditt, etc from people who purchased used model s with FUSC that have had it changed...whether eliminated, limited, or eventually honored. And contrary to your opinion of things being fixed...they have not been and that has only added to owner/potential owner confusion as well as inconsistent information directly from Tesla's shoddy customer service teams. Don't take this the wrong way, text (even as you alluded to) is hard to interpret...there is no hostility on my end. I was actually agreeing with you previously about trying to find definitive answers. I don't think there will be one...it seems to be luck of the draw on who you speak with and how persistent you are.
I will however disagree completely about things like this "speaking negatives into reality". If anything, the amount of posts, the resulting anger with tesla's customer service, on top of tesla's already sinking ship...proves it is not an acceptable way to eradicate FUSC. It was well known in 2016 that they needed to limit it, the way they are doing it is horrible. Their layoffs, horrible service, policy changes, etc have harmed them more than the losses from the model 3...has put tesla to the point where they had to incentivize people to purchase new again, hence the FUSC revival with it's clearly stated limitations. Switching from allowing people to trade in and get FUSC transferred to a newer model and tied to the owner to offering on new models...they would be foolish to offer out any official facts because that would only cause more backlash and harm them in the long run...IMO.

Not taking what you've said the wrong way. We're in agreement for the most part. A few points of clarification though as I think I misspoke or you misread a few things I had said....

I didn't say that Tesla had fixed ALL issues and I was careful to say specifically that most had been addressed. I agree that this topic isn't one of those things and that's why I worded it that way. I still feel as though this issue as it applies to existing customers will be address fully eventually. Lots of issues and many of which people were losing their minds on these (and other) forums about things that were obviously omissions due to website maintenance and changes. The website issues were widespread and touched just about every aspect to include customer accounts.

Some of the issues were real and deserved being discussed but the problem was that even on the issues that needed discussed people rushed to crazy opinionated conclusions ahead of having any actual information other than the result. Likewise, I've seen other threads in this very forum lately where users are discussing changes in the newest updates and assigning praise ahead of any actual data to support what exactly was changed and how it might benefit or harm the end user. Just lots of people with knee-jerk reactions in both direction crying wolf every single time the smallest things happens. This takes attention away from the topics that DO need attention from Tesla for quick resolution. Hell, most of people's freak out situations can be cured by a simple reboot.

When I say "speaking negatives into reality" I'm speaking more about instances like the other person posting that you somehow get a lesser car when you buy a used car from a dealership. If enough people parrot that eventually it's quite easy for Tesla to just make it so.

I still don't buy anything that Autobuzz said. If I had a nickle for every time one of these rags wrote something that read definitively in light of any and all fact I'd have a mountain of nickles. I see a lot of people misread these types of stories and then start spreading FUD about something that was never even stated.

I want to resurrect this topic to see if anyone RECENTLY purchased a used, 2016 Model S from a private or 3rd party dealer (not Tesla CPO) and found out it did NOT have free supercharging (that was supposed to be transferable). As mentioned in previous posts by others, my Tesla owners page no longer has the statement about free, transferable supercharging and that is one reason I searched for 5 months trying to find a 12/2016 model (along with V2 HW). I bought it at a premium knowing it would help resale value.

Just bought a 2016 MS from a non Tesla dealer..manufactured 5/16 delivered 7/16. Original owner claimed had FSCFL and before the car transferred to my account I was never asked for a CC or billed. Ironically it was still in the original owners name as he never removed any of his personal stuff from the MCU.

As soon as the car was transferred into my name at Tesla..no free supercharging.

First couple of calls to Tesla...they tell me that the guy never activated the free SC. Kinda made sense to me as the car had only 20k miles after four years.

I reach out to the owner through Facebook (cause his work and home addresses were still in the MCU!) and he eventually responded and said he did have FSC for life.

I call Tesla and tell them this and the rep says that he only had it for his lifetime of the car! Weird cause three other reps told me that he never activated the FSC.

I think Tesla is removing FSCFL from anyone they can get away with removing it. I wouldn’t trust them at this point.

Just bought a 2016 MS from a non Tesla dealer..manufactured 5/16 delivered 7/16. Original owner claimed had FSCFL and before the car transferred to my account I was never asked for a CC or billed. Ironically it was still in the original owners name as he never removed any of his personal stuff from the MCU.

As soon as the car was transferred into my name at Tesla..no free supercharging.

First couple of calls to Tesla...they tell me that the guy never activated the free SC. Kinda made sense to me as the car had only 20k miles after four years.

I reach out to the owner through Facebook (cause his work and home addresses were still in the MCU!) and he eventually responded and said he did have FSC for life.

I call Tesla and tell them this and the rep says that he only had it for his lifetime of the car! Weird cause three other reps told me that he never activated the FSC.

I think Tesla is removing FSCFL from anyone they can get away with removing it. I wouldn’t trust them at this point.
I wonder if they are trying to justify removing FSC because you bought it from a dealer. I’ve never heard anything about having to activate FSC. That’s BS though because the FSC is supposed to transfer with the car.

Was he the original owner, or just the owner that sold it to the dealer?

Because if the car was traded-in to Tesla and then re-sold the transferrable FUSC could have been turned into non-transferrable FUSC.

Was he the original owner, or just the owner that sold it to the dealer?

Because if the car was traded-in to Tesla and then re-sold the transferrable FUSC could have been turned into non-transferrable FUSC.
Tesla sold it as lifetime free supercharging, so as long as original owner is still alive and the car is still alive, what possible excuse are they using to terminate something they sold as "lifetime"? Did they forget to put some fine print in there "*by lifetime we meant duration of an average lifetime of a fruit fly"? ;)

I’ve never heard anything about having to activate FSC.
There is one possibility. For a while there Tesla used to sell Model S60's without supercharging capabilities at all. It was a $2,000/$2,500 (pre/post delivery) option. If you purchased it after delivery, Tesla had to "activate it" remotely - apparently a tech had to remote login to you car to do that, at least that is what I was told when I purchased mine - it took a couple of days and they told me it's working. I only got it to use ChaDeMo (there were no superchargers anywhere near where I drove) but the ChaDeMo adapter was 2 years late (surprise!), so I ended up never using DC charging on the S60. The person I sold the car to did take it to a supercharger eventually only to find out Tesla didn't actually activate it. After I provided the receipt for the option, they did activate it on the car - back then Tesla was far from perfect, but service was stellar and always fixed things. Anyways, there were some cars without supercharger activated, S60 and the few S40's (which were software locked 60's but without DC charging hardware in some cases).