Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Repair for Remote Owners?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm having reservations over my reservation of the Model 3, because of repair concerns.

I live five-hours from the nearest Tesla Store/Repair Facility. So the prospect of a ten-hour round trip is not pleasant.

Thinking that a new model might (understandably) have some issues, I wouldn't mind taking them to Tesla for correction. But five hours is just too far. I do, however, have a local VW dealer; and the German maker has plans to sell three models of electrics in 2020. So I'd be willing to wait for that option, if Tesla repairs were impractical for me.

I've planned to call Tesla and ask for specifics on their repair program for the Model 3.

Does anyone have information regarding Tesla's repair policy for the Model 3 and how they would accommodate people in rural or remote locations with no Tesla facility nearby?

If it's serious then it'd probably be towed... If minor they could send out a ranger. There are probably a few ways of avoiding the trip. Even so, 10 hours is less than 3 years.

I'm assuming you checked even the coming soon service centers and from the website not Google maps.

For warranty work they'll send out a Ranger (Err now they're called Tesla Mobile Service or something). For non-warranty work they bill $1/mile one-way. There may be a ranger already stationed in your area. I would e-mail the nearest SC and ask them if there's a ranger that covers your area.

For me the closest SC is also 5 hours away but after e-mailing them learned there's a ranger in OKC, just 90 miles away.

I'm a 3 to 4 day drive one way from the nearest SC. No ranger service, too far away.

Some of the recent changes to their service manual policy indicate to me they may be allowing 3rd party repair shops in the future.

I also live 5 hours from a Service Center (Jackson to Salt lake City) and the Ranger service has worked well for minor items, like tire rotation & 12v battery replacement. Thankfully I haven't needed them for anything major.

Alley, did you actually contact a Tesla rep to find your closest repair facility? There are repair facilities in some areas that may not have a "store-front" that you visit. In some cases, Tesla will come pick up the car, put it on a carrier, take it to be repaired, and return it the same way. Depends on where you live though.

I live a two day boat ride from the service center as do 30 - 40 others. Not been a big problem. You just have to figure at least 5 days and maybe 2 weeks for the trip. They usually provide a loaner for warranty work.

I'm having reservations over my reservation of the Model 3, because of repair concerns.

I live five-hours from the nearest Tesla Store/Repair Facility. So the prospect of a ten-hour round trip is not pleasant.

Thinking that a new model might (understandably) have some issues, I wouldn't mind taking them to Tesla for correction. But five hours is just too far. I do, however, have a local VW dealer; and the German maker has plans to sell three models of electrics in 2020. So I'd be willing to wait for that option, if Tesla repairs were impractical for me.

I've planned to call Tesla and ask for specifics on their repair program for the Model 3.

Does anyone have information regarding Tesla's repair policy for the Model 3 and how they would accommodate people in rural or remote locations with no Tesla facility nearby?
If you don't need the $1000 reservation back, there is no harm in waiting, especially if there are no other compelling options. If Tesla hits their 1M car/yr target in 2020, I doubt that service options will remain this sparse in your area by then. In the mean time other options may come up, VW may actually deliver, but also make sure their dealership is willing and capable of service an EV. Most EV don't require much servicing, so dealers may not be motivated to sell and service them.

I think now is a good time to ramp up the 3rd party factory authorized repair shop program for Tesla Model 3.

Tesla can start the size of the program slow, with most of the learning flowing into Tesla rather than out for the first few shops.

I think it's important mostly for reputation purposes (see below) and secondarily as a method to handle capacity issues. Once going, both would be mandatory reasons because of investments. The free market can sink (solve, absorb, handle) a lot of issues; that would require active support from within Tesla since it's Tesla's product (making all parts available in a reasonable way; treating them well; training; certification and demotions (perhaps some type of discount program on parts flow when shops do well, and threat of deauthorization when they fall off the end of the discount program)). Since it's free market, Tesla would be wise to set the support system to take best advantage of the good qualities of the free market (by making it functional to enter and leave the program without inappropriately hurting the businesses and customers).

The number of shops would grow regionally with where the Model 3’s are and numerically with how many Model 3’s are on the roads. It’s important to start now so the first day a third party repair shop is needed Tesla’s Model 3 authorized repair shops are already up and running.

“Needed” is defined as any capacity gap in Tesla shops, which to me seems like there will be some. Capacity should be measured not only by location and numbers and workload, but also in competitive needs. (You heard me.)

Don’t Not Invented Here!!! I’m telling you as an experienced Tesla owner that depending on Tesla’s own fleet of service centers is a bad idea for health of the company’s reputation. This isn’t to say the service centers are bad: just that sometimes competition has been sorely needed because certain visits are bad, and with Model 3, that’s times ten and geometric from there times the speed of gossip. So, if a 3rd party repair network is necessary at all, it’s necessary, and to me, it's apparent it's necessary.

Last edited:
I think now is a good time to ramp up the 3rd party factory authorized repair shop program for Tesla Model 3.

Tesla can start the size of the program slow, with most of the learning flowing into Tesla rather than out for the first few shops.

I think it's important mostly for reputation purposes (see below) and secondarily as a method to handle capacity issues. Once going, both would be mandatory reasons because of investments. The free market can sink (solve, absorb, handle) a lot of issues; that would require active support from within Tesla since it's Tesla's product (making all parts available in a reasonable way; treating them well; training; certification and demotions (perhaps some type of discount program on parts flow when shops do well, and threat of deauthorization when they fall off the end of the discount program)). Since it's free market, Tesla would be wise to set the support system to take best advantage of the good qualities of the free market (by making it functional to enter and leave the program without inappropriately hurting the businesses and customers).

The number of shops would grow regionally with where the Model 3’s are and numerically with how many Model 3’s are on the roads. It’s important to start now so the first day a third party repair shop is needed Tesla’s Model 3 authorized repair shops are already up and running.

“Needed” is defined as any capacity gap in Tesla shops, which to me seems like there will be some. Capacity should be measured not only by location and numbers and workload, but also in competitive needs. (You heard me.)

Don’t Not Invented Here!!! I’m telling you as an experienced Tesla owner that depending on Tesla’s own fleet of service centers is a bad idea for health of the company’s reputation. This isn’t to say the service centers are bad: just that sometimes competition has been sorely needed because certain visits are bad, and with Model 3, that’s times ten and geometric from there times the speed of gossip. So, if a 3rd party repair network is necessary at all, it’s necessary, and to me, it's apparent it's necessary.

3rd party work is ok for body work but for actual repair work Tesla uses the information obtained from their own service shops to make constant improvements on the build. They also do not operate for profit and you can confirm the measly profit margin when there is one on the financial statements.

If it's something simple like brakes or suspension issues or whatever you can go anywhere your want.

The idea is that Model 3 *should* be less complex, easier to repair, and less likely to fail. I think in the near future they are going to be just fine with planned service center expansion without 3rd parties doing drivetrain work/battery diagnostics, etc.

I'm going to say their current planned expansion is going to be just fine.