Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Replaces Half Dozen Parts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Most disturbing is that Tesla changed the battery packs. No blaming external suppliers there. The Australian 100MWh project also isn't using Panasonic cells and other Tesla Energy product is not ramping up very fast either. Leaves me wondering if there are issues with the production at the Gigafactory.

Reactions: Lump
Moderators can, do, and should change titles when appropriate. If a title is click-bait, inaccurate, misleading, or does not represent the thread contents accurately, changes will be made. And yes @rabar10 is a moderator.
Well if the parts were not failing Tesla would not be replacing them in the first place, so the original title of this thread at least was accurate

Well if the parts were not failing Tesla would not be replacing them in the first place, so the original title of this thread at least was accurate

There are plenty of reasons other than failure for Tesla to change parts on pre-production cars. Changes in design for better performance, durability testing etc.

And even if they were failures, these are beta testing cars even if Tesla isn't publicly calling them that.

Storm in a teacup material.

What if they got more cost competitive bids on the parts they replaced.

I hate censorship. As A guy that states his opinion I get thrown in the snippy / political locker even when the thread is about politics!!!!

This is the freakest car website I have ever been on. On the FJ Cruiser site you would have to take a pix of your private parts and post to get a moderator to act and then he would probably give you a like /dislike based on their assessment of your manhood.

Miata forums are way more fun too. Not so serious, and very few Chicken Little's and much more Little Red Hen's

Last edited:
LOL @Doug_G has some of the thickest skin on TMC. He might "disagree" but it won't be anything personal. Won't be surprised if many of these posts end up in snippy-land.

LOL I wasn't even the one who started this little tempest in a teapot. Really much of this is totally off topic and belongs in Site Feedback, so I really ought to move it.

Yes and it's a "disagree" button. "Dislike" was removed from TMC because it caused flame wars.

So instead of me having to move half the thread, how about we get back on topic?

My original Model S was VIN 2006, so it was a very early version. Tesla changed a bunch of parts that had not failed over the first couple of years (service bulletins). A few big things; some very small things. Yes, some were changed for reliability reasons, but changes were also made to improve performance (e.g. brake pads and rotors were updated to versions that were quieter and worked better). I wouldn't call those parts "failed".

In any case, Tesla stated that they were going to deliver the early cars to insiders, because they wanted to give them a good shakedown before shipping to people outside the company. That means that they're expecting to make some changes and improvements. It's a good thing, not a bad thing.

I hate censorship. As A guy that states his opinion I get thrown in the snippy / political locker even when the thread is about politics!!!!

This is the freakest car website I have ever been on. On the FJ Cruiser site you would have to take a pix of your private parts and post to get a moderator to act and then he would probably give you a like /dislike based on their assessment of your manhood.

Miata forums are way more fun too. Not so serious, and very few Chicken Little's and much more Little Red Hen's

Probably less FUD being spread on those forums, as well. The forum is a product of it's membership, after all, and unfortunately there are a great deal of players that aren't here to use it as a car forum.

Tesla constantly changes parts. Tesla Tap has a list of dozens and dozens of some of the more obvious changes to the Model S over the past five years and Tesla has reported that there have literally been thousands of part changes on the Model S since 2012. I’d be very surprised if there were only six part changes on the Model 3 since July — constant improvement/innovation is how Tesla operates.

Model S Changes from 2012 to 2017 | TeslaTap

Last edited:

some of the mods let their political ideologies cloud their objectivity, especial non americans who think that they can infuse their foreign mindsets and are unfamiliar with the american political psyche

Obviously they didn't function properly if they were replaced. The part design failed.

My handles 'failed' to retract. Tesla changed it

My DU was making a mild humming noise, but performed flawlessy its main function of driving the wheels. Tesla still changed it, to prevent a future failure.

BIG difference.

My Model S makes some creaking noise in specific situations. One day i will get that fixed. That doesn't mean my S is a 'failure'

Each component has a main function. Headlight/Tail lights should put out so many lumens of light that make it comfortable for you to drive. Condensation is a reflection of less than perfect quality, but it is not a failure.

Making 'dramatic' titles may make you feel good. But there are smart folks in here who can tell the difference.

Most disturbing is that Tesla changed the battery packs. No blaming external suppliers there. The Australian 100MWh project also isn't using Panasonic cells and other Tesla Energy product is not ramping up very fast either. Leaves me wondering if there are issues with the production at the Gigafactory.

The replaced battery packs may not be due to failed cells themselves, reports are early (unclear if still the case) pack production was done by hand. Could just be human error, or just simply wanting to test the robot-assembled packs (if they're finally being assembled by robots).

Reactions: MP3Mike