Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla replacing ultrasonic sensors with Tesla Vision

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How do I know if my vehicle is equipped with ultrasonic sensors?
Starting in early October 2022, all Model 3 and Model Y built for North America, Europe, Middle East and Taiwan are no longer built with ultrasonic sensors and instead rely solely on Tesla Vision to provide Autopilot, Enhanced Autopilot, FSD capability and active safety features.

Damn, looks like no Model 3s will have USS when they start production again in a week or so. Guess that EAP I ordered will only get me Navigate on Autopilot. :mad: I hope like hell this includes HW4 with some additional cameras.

Even with the Ultrasonic sensors, my 2020 Tesla S backed into a Walmart Pick-Up bollard with a standard Walmart sign at bumper height with the parking spot number and phone number. No sound, no warning, no auto stop. Glad it wasn't a small child I didn't see that close.

I don't see how this would work in the front. They need a low camera in the front to handle the same thing (giving the distance estimate to wall in front as you pull in). If they do add that low mounted camera (and let you see the feed), I would gladly give up ultrasonics for it though (as that would help with pulling in to curbs/concrete blocks in front, which the ultrasonic sensors are worthless for).

As others mentioned, the effect to autopark/summon probably isn't a big deal, it was horrible using ultrasonics, actually a lot better when they switched to Vision.

I don't see how this would work in the front. They need a low camera in the front to handle the same thing (giving the distance estimate to wall in front as you pull in). If they do add that low mounted camera (and let you see the feed), I would gladly give up ultrasonics for it though (as that would help with pulling in to curbs/concrete blocks in front, which the ultrasonic sensors are worthless for).

As others mentioned, the effect to autopark/summon probably isn't a big deal, it was horrible using ultrasonics, actually a lot better when they switched to Vision.

I assume it will have some short-term memory of the occupancy network output and it gets translated around as you pull into the spot, otherwise it would be pretty useless.

What if something is placed in the path of the car outside of camera view after it’s parked?
You're telling me a multi-billion dollar company hasn't thought about this?

If anything this may confirm the rumors of the new cameras in the fog-light housings. We may also see a 360 camera system with the removal of the USS.

If anything this may confirm the rumors of the new cameras in the fog-light housings. We may also see a 360 camera system with the removal of the USS.
They haven’t thought about a lot of things. A lot of UI and UX quirks and things they they just did differently in a way that was supposed to be simpler or easier but never reached parity with other vehicles in terms of function or ease of use.

See: auto wipers with cameras, auto high beams that are slow to respond or don’t respond when they should, auto steer that cancels with a lane change and you have to manually re-engage, the frustratingly limited scheduled charging options, etc etc.

The sign hit the bumper square, right in the center at bumper height -- same height as a child head, on a 4" yellow bollard.
GUID-EDC3DE75-E906-4B2D-8B85-B37B810CBD7D-online-en-US.png

You can see the sensor layout in the manual. You can see a valley right square in the middle. That is where the car may become "blind" to a thin object there.

That's why in the limitations it says:
"The parking sensors may not function correctly in these situations:
  • The object is thin (such as a sign post)."
Model 3 Owner's Manual | Tesla

This is the same company that sold me a car with blind spot monitoring based on the ultrasonic sensors (and then just removed it from the feature list like it never happened). Not thinking things through is sort of a Tesla tradition.

Basically nothing they have done or released for the last 2 years gives the impression of being thought about hardly at all. I really miss Tesla from 2017-2018 when they were fighting for their very survival. Most problems with the cars and the software got fixed and things continued to (mostly) get better. Now they are just fat and lazy (and arrogant) as a company.

They haven’t thought about a lot of things. A lot of UI and UX quirks and things they they just did differently in a way that was supposed to be simpler or easier but never reached parity with other vehicles in terms of function or ease of use.

See: auto wipers with cameras, auto high beams that are slow to respond or don’t respond when they should, auto steer that cancels with a lane change and you have to manually re-engage, the frustratingly limited scheduled charging options, etc etc.
Yeah now that I think about Tesla seems to be innovating without testing. Auto wipers still suck and so do auto high beams. Also the music progress bar is still a pixel wide for some reason. Maybe they did extensive testing and realized that with the current camera setup USS aren't needed? Or maybe they're adding more cameras to replace the sensors. It's Tesla so they're probably just flipping a coin on what to remove next.

Reactions: E90alex and Brolan

At this point I just want parity with previous Tesla products (software and hardware). Seems like a new downgrade every few months. Perhaps they are trying to do a reverse Osborne effect type of thing to keep demand high: "Buy now, because next year's model will be worse!"