Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla replacing ultrasonic sensors with Tesla Vision

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Step 1 skips the part where you drive back and forth madly trying to get to the optimal distance from the parked cars to trigger a park icon. And also the lot stripe color is critical. And also you have to slow way down in the parking lot (as though it is not obvious you are trying to park…)

I rarely see the park dialog until I am already parking.

Anyway anyone using this feature routinely must be extremely patient.

I park pretty slowly since I am having to park 8-9 inches from a concrete wall (mirror 2-3 inches I guess) to create distance from adjacent vehicles, and am still perfecting my technique (since I am middle-aged without a pliable cortex). But pretty sure I still beat Autopark.

I really should try this Summon thing into the garage at some point, it has been years since I tried. Just to confirm it is still useless. My driveway is on a mild slope which may not be supported. And I need it to park within 12 inches of the garage obstacles in front. It also needs to be fast! I go until the loud beep.
I never can get summon to park in my garage. I have a 1-inch lip between the driveway and the floor. Tt doesn't matter whether I am backing in or heading in, the front wheels can climb in, but the one in the back always fails and summon gives up, worse it steers the front wheels trying to help the back to climb in. I have seen when it made it into the garage the car is slanted.

.... The B-Pillars likely see the front corners of the car down to the ground.....
Hard to know for sure what the B-pillar's actually see but according to Tesla's illustration there may be some blind spots near the front fenders.

Screen Shot 2022-10-14 at 6.01.27 PM.png

• Informative
Reactions: Dewg and mongo
I never can get summon to park in my garage. I have a 1-inch lip between the driveway and the floor. Tt doesn't matter whether I am backing in or heading in, the front wheels can climb in, but the one in the back always fails and summon gives up, worse it steers the front wheels trying to help the back to climb in. I have seen when it made it into the garage the car is slanted.
Hard to know for sure what the B-pillar's actually see but according to Tesla's illustration there may be some blind spots near the front fenders.

View attachment 863932
You may be right, there is an overlap with the wide-angle forward camera, but that camera can't see the ground in front of the front tire. So the kid's scooter would need to be at the front corners of the car by the tires, or below the bumper at the front of the car.

there is an overlap with the wide-angle forward camera, but that camera can't see the ground in front of the front tire
Here's a view of all 8 cameras from AI Day:
8 cameras.jpg

The wide camera (top right) at its right edge shows the right turn arrow that is also visible from the right pillar (middle right) at its left edge. However, the painted bike lane symbol directly to the left of the turn arrow is not visible from any of the camera views. Additionally, the right pillar only shows the outer bike lane line whereas the right repeater (bottom right) is able to show both lines of the bike lane.

• Helpful
Reactions: DarkForest and MR F

To Use Autopark​

When driving, follow these steps to allow Autopark to maneuver Model S/X into a parking space:
I know how to activate it for normal parking (not that I ever use it). It's the garage I have a problem with, and where it would be useful.
That may be for parking spots while you're in the car. To autopark forward when you exit the vehicle, here is someone's description:

If you put the car in park and press the right wheel on the yoke twice a summon autopark menu comes up. you tell your car which direction you want to go, get out of the car and once you close the door the car should autopark in that direction. you can cancel anytime by pressing the door handle.
Tried this. I park backward in the garage. So when I do this it just wants to drive down the street :) . I did try park in forwards, however it then tells me "autosteer is currently unavailable". Seems like it just wanted to active FSDb, not summon.

Also, as mentioned before. Summon does not work with my garage (when used from the phone). Car gives up most the time.

I use autopark and summon in my 2-car garage (with an SUV taking 1/2 the garage) multiple times a day - it's one of my favorite features. Make sure you set Autopark settings to narrow (for sides) and the correct distance in front so you have room behind you to close the door.
I don't know where these settings are on Model S refresh. Perhaps they removed them?

I don't know where these settings are on Model S refresh. Perhaps they removed them?
There is a Summon option that has to be enabled in the Autopilot settings, and then you'll see under Autopilot settings a section for Summon Settings (submenu) (use "Tight" or "Narrow" for your side clearance):

My settings are 20 inches for bumper clearance, distance is 20 feet (which brings it out of the garage and perfectly to the center of my driveway), Tight/Narrow for side, and continuous press is No.

1665788000987.png

Also, make sure you're in Park before engaging it - if you're in Drive, then AP/FSD will try to enable.

• Informative
Reactions: Mark II
There is a Summon option that has to be enabled in the Autopilot settings, and then you'll see under Autopilot settings a section for Summon Settings (submenu) (use "Tight" or "Narrow" for your side clearance):
Doh, now I see it.
My settings are 20 inches for bumper clearance, distance is 20 feet (which brings it out of the garage and perfectly to the center of my driveway), Tight/Narrow for side, and continuous press is No.
Was already set to tight with minimum bumper clearance. However continuous press was "yes". Changed to "no"

Also, make sure you're in Park before engaging it - if you're in Drive, then AP/FSD will try to enable.
Ok, now it works! As in I get the dialog to choose direction. Note, when continuous press was "yes" the autopark does not work, when set to "no" it does work!

So it starts parking, in reverse, then just as the back wheels hit the 1/2" floor height change, it stops. So maybe same issues as:

Doh, now I see it.

Was already set to tight with minimum bumper clearance. However continuous press was "yes". Changed to "no"

Ok, now it works! As in I get the dialog to choose direction. Note, when continuous press was "yes" the autopark does not work, when set to "no" it does work!

So it starts parking, in reverse, then just as the back wheels hit the 1/2" floor height change, it stops. So maybe same issues as:
What you may need to do is:

1) Do a little TI (tenant improvement) and put down a little Home Depot quick concrete to create a small slope/ramp for that height difference
2) In the meantime you can help it along by backing partially in, so you feel the wheels pop up onto the garage floor, then start the park and exit the vehicle.
3) Try parking forward instead of reverse, with the same, popping the forward wheels over that bump then engaging park.

1) Do a little TI (tenant improvement) and put down a little Home Depot quick concrete to create a small slope/ramp for that height difference
2) In the meantime you can help it along by backing partially in, so you feel the wheels pop up onto the garage floor, then start the park and exit the vehicle.
3) Try parking forward instead of reverse, with the same, popping the forward wheels over that bump then engaging park.
And I'll pop in before Alan jumps all over this - it's actually a good thing that the car stops for bumps - we don't want it running over things that the sensors can't see. If the tires hit something, like a broom, it should stop so we can figure out what's wrong instead of just plowing over it. :)

Reactions: DrGriz
And I'll pop in before Alan jumps all over this - it's actually a good thing that the car stops for bumps - we don't want it running over things that the sensors can't see. If the tires hit something, like a broom, it should stop so we can figure out what's wrong instead of just plowing over it. :)
This goes back to my original point that it learn about my garage! The lip is always there, in the same spot. So learn it! It's supposed to be smarter than humans right ;)

I think many (perhaps most) garages have a slight lip to prevent rain entering. So while I get the point of the broom, it does not make sense if the feature does not work for most garages.

Reactions: boonedocks

1) Nope, not going to ruin my nice new paving!
2) At that point I may as well park myself! If I thought it would actually learn and do better next time, sure. But years later it has learnt nothing! (i.e. the 2018 does not park either ...)
3) My charger is on right wall, near the back. So forward is not an option. Also when I did my test just now the other car on the left was missing. I suspect when it is in it may not even get to the lip. I think my double garage may be more narrow than normal? Then again the Refresh is wider than normal.

Reactions: SalisburySam
This goes back to my original point that it learn about my garage! The lip is always there, in the same spot. So learn it! It's supposed to be smarter than humans right ;)

I think many (perhaps most) garages have a slight lip to prevent rain entering. So while I get the point of the broom, it does not make sense if the feature does not work for most garages.
Bummer - then I'm at a loss how to help you and the feature just won't work for you. :-(

Reactions: Mark II
Here's a view of all 8 cameras from AI Day:
View attachment 863940

The wide camera (top right) at its right edge shows the right turn arrow that is also visible from the right pillar (middle right) at its left edge. However, the painted bike lane symbol directly to the left of the turn arrow is not visible from any of the camera views. Additionally, the right pillar only shows the outer bike lane line whereas the right repeater (bottom right) is able to show both lines of the bike lane.
FWIW, those images are cropped. Repeater cameras can see the side of the car and rear sees the bumper.
The time stamped section of the video is talking about the autolabeler and that may be a recreated scene (explaining the color scheme).

Reactions: boonedocks
My spouse asked me about the USS’s being disabled in the car. I told her Elon decided the cameras are superior.

She asked if that’s the case why are their images on the screen showing a truck and several cars. When the car is in the garage. 🫤

She also said her previous car could detect high curbs and had Birds Eye view, so the damage to the wheels are Elon’s fault not hers

My spouse asked me about the USS’s being disabled in the car. I told her Elon decided the cameras are superior.

She asked if that’s the case why are their images on the screen showing a truck and several cars. When the car is in the garage. 🫤

She also said her previous car could detect high curbs and had Birds Eye view, so the damage to the wheels are Elon’s fault not hers.
My car showed a guy on a motorcycle behind me while I was still in my driveway

• Funny
Reactions: Undecided_2
My car showed a guy on a motorcycle behind me while I was still in my driveway
It bears repeating again since people continually miss it, but what the visualizations show now are irrelevant to what the occupancy network will show. The occupancy network is a new system that shows blocks of occupied space, instead of taking a fixed database of objects and assigning the closest possible object. It also has object permanence and handles objects straddling two camera views gracefully (something the previous system doesn't do).

Previous posts that covered this:
A Look at Tesla's Occupancy Networks