Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla replacing ultrasonic sensors with Tesla Vision

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The actual results people are posting compared to the picture in the patch notes looks like a version of the “Nailed It” meme
So it's like FSD. Elon and Tesla web page described it as Level 5 autonomous driving in 2016, in 2023 it's arguably the most advanced Level 2 system in its class. In 7 years, the distance estimator will work great for the rear bumper, front will still be "work in progress", like Level 5 autonomy FSD is today.

So it's like FSD. Elon and Tesla web page described it as Level 5 autonomous driving in 2016, in 2023 it's arguably the most advanced Level 2 system in its class. In 7 years, the distance estimator will work great for the rear bumper, front will still be "work in progress", like Level 5 autonomy FSD is today.
1) You assume based on no data whatsoever.
2) Just because the lines move around when moving does not mean it's inaccurate/unsafe. I've been looking at all videos on this for the last hour and the lines "update" based on extra movement but the lines in front and at the rear are quite accurate. It's mostly the sides and corners that are adapting for example when reversing out of the garage it is drawing the corner whilst you're passing it.
This seems actually better than USS and just needs getting used to. I'm pretty sure that once one is familiar with it one can tell what to pay attention to and what is just "updating" lines (further out mostly).
3) It seems to underestimate the distances shown, just like USS do a full beep ("stop!") before hitting something. This is just the software being conservative and it's better this way than the other way around. Again: this is something you can get used to. If you know "when it says STOP I can still go for 3 centimeters" just like I did with my USS on my last (non-Tesla) car.

The one hickup that does worry me was a video of a guy where it would say "park assist unavailable" when he got close to his blue trash can in his driveway. But it activated within seconds after this occurence.

I'll only accept criticism on the software from people testing it out. Not from a fear mongerer like you.

1) You assume based on no data whatsoever.
2) Just because the lines move around when moving does not mean it's inaccurate/unsafe. I've been looking at all videos on this for the last hour and the lines "update" based on extra movement but the lines in front and at the rear are quite accurate. It's mostly the sides and corners that are adapting for example when reversing out of the garage it is drawing the corner whilst you're passing it.
This seems actually better than USS and just needs getting used to. I'm pretty sure that once one is familiar with it one can tell what to pay attention to and what is just "updating" lines (further out mostly).
3) It seems to underestimate the distances shown, just like USS do a full beep ("stop!") before hitting something. This is just the software being conservative and it's better this way than the other way around. Again: this is something you can get used to. If you know "when it says STOP I can still go for 3 centimeters" just like I did with my USS on my last (non-Tesla) car.

The one hickup that does worry me was a video of a guy where it would say "park assist unavailable" when he got close to his blue trash can in his driveway. But it activated within seconds after this occurence.

I'll only accept criticism on the software from people testing it out. Not from a fear mongerer like you.
There’s a big body of people on here that think that USS are capable of everything down to walking their wife and satisfying their dog. It’s a foregone conclusion that they will think this is rubbish.

In reality it’s probably ‘passable’ now and will improve in subsequent updates. I’m keen to try it out.

There’s a big body of people on here that think that USS are capable of everything down to walking their wife and satisfying their dog. It’s a foregone conclusion that they will think this is rubbish.

In reality it’s probably ‘passable’ now and will improve in subsequent updates. I’m keen to try it out.
Very keen also. Apparently downloaded in USA and Canada for now, I'm hoping this will be rolled out to Europe within days and not weeks/months. (For example the update containing two levels of heated steering wheel only got to my car weeks after I first read about it on here/Teslafi)

Yes, visualisation of the surrounding seems to be odd but on other hand finally something out there. Fingers crossed it will get better, soon :)
My main concern is about cross traffic alert and how the system based on single camera will be able to cope ?
I think throughout all of the conversations this aspect is omitted and we are focus on USS beeps and how they could be annoyed but having a dirty camera and no other park assist specially when you backing up on a busy street of parking lot where everything is chnaging fast. Of course spray and clot can do the partial job .

I have my contract on SA desk since Jan but not in a mood to place the order knowing all of that and potential near future upgrades which are not obvious like in any kind of car manufacture where typically when we have FL you know what to expect and what will be added ( not removed ) and should improve not to reduce capability of your car. In that two lost months I learned that with Tesla you can order one thing and received something a bit different either you like or not.

At a moment other option showed up where I can get last MYLR model still equipped with USS ( brand new, never driven ) with some extras like tow hitch, black paint or 20" wheels for price or standard MYLR. Downside is already registered so I will be not able to apply for gov tax of 8K here and also having in mind that USS may be disabled or will be ( soon ) due to TV implementation. Why is so hard to make a simple decision ? o_O

My main concern is about cross traffic alert and how the system based on single camera will be able to cope ?
Cross traffic alert was never promised by Tesla so I don't think that is relevant.

What is relevant is that non-USS Tesla owners were promised:
1) proximity sensing with vision ("Park Assist")
2) automatic parking with vision ("Autopark")
3) summon with vision ("Summon")
4) smart summon with vision ("Smart Summon")

Update 2023.6.9 seems to bring us item 1 out of 4. About the lack of Autopark, Summon and Smart Summon we can still complain :). About the lack of cross traffic alert we cannot, since no Tesla has this and Tesla owners knew this before they ordered their vehicle.

So let's not move the goalposts, shall we?

Yep. For example even the tester in the reddit thread (which presumably never had a USS Tesla) does not seem to be aware that even USS is conservative and shows the STOP at 12 inches.

I have USS and it is not anywhere near as detailed in the shape rendering, and doesn't show anything on sides. Also seen tests that show this Vision version can accurately show distance to curbs, even in the front, something USS currently can't do for most curbs. So even with some jitter, it's already more capable than USS in certain significant aspects.

I've said it previously, but basically it's going to be better than USS in some regards, worse in others.

Cross traffic alert was never promised by Tesla so I don't think that is relevant.

What is relevant is that non-USS Tesla owners were promised:
1) proximity sensing with vision ("Park Assist")
2) automatic parking with vision ("Autopark")
3) summon with vision ("Summon")
4) smart summon with vision ("Smart Summon")

Update 2023.6.9 seems to bring us item 1 out of 4. About the lack of Autopark, Summon and Smart Summon we can still complain :). About the lack of cross traffic alert we cannot, since no Tesla has this and Tesla owners knew this before they ordered their vehicle.

So let's not move the goalposts, shall we?
I'd give it a ½ on the first since it still seems a bit rough. I agree with @Mullermn - it appears to be passable from the videos I've seen. It's still good to see this much this soon - I'm actually surprised they came out with this as soon as they did. It's very unlike Tesla.
Yep. For example even the tester in the reddit thread (which presumably never had a USS Tesla) does not seem to be aware that even USS is conservative and shows the STOP at 12 inches.

I have USS and it is not anywhere near as detailed in the shape rendering, and doesn't show anything on sides. Also seen tests that show this Vision version can accurately show distance to curbs, even in the front, something USS currently can't do for most curbs. So even with some jitter, it's already more capable than USS in certain significant aspects.

I've said it previously, but basically it's going to be better than USS in some regards, worse in others.
I was going to say the same thing about the 12" USS limit. I did notice that the reddit poster got crushed by a semi as he was parking in his garage. My big complaints/concerns are that they could/should have implemented TeslaVision before removing the USSs, not after, and if TeslaVision is better in some ways and worse than others, then why get rid of the sensors? There's nothing preventing Tesla from using both and getting the best of both worlds.

Reactions: Mullermn
I was going to say the same thing about the 12" USS limit. I did notice that the reddit poster got crushed by a semi as he was parking in his garage. My big complaints/concerns are that they could/should have implemented TeslaVision before removing the USSs, not after, and if TeslaVision is better in some ways and worse than others, then why get rid of the sensors? There's nothing preventing Tesla from using both and getting the best of both worlds.
Said in other threads, but the USS removal was an industry-wide supply shortage issue. It would have been removed, even if there was no replacement software solution in the works. Waiting was not an option at all: Tesla would not hold up production for a feature that was worth at most a few hundred dollars.

Unlike with radar, Tesla isn't claiming that Vision is a replacement for cars with USS (cars with USS remain unchanged).

Said in other threads, but the USS removal was an industry-wide supply shortage issue. It would have been removed, even if there was no replacement software solution in the works. Waiting was not an option at all: Tesla would not hold up production for a feature that was worth at most a few hundred dollars.

Unlike with radar, Tesla isn't claiming that Vision is a replacement for cars with USS (cars with USS remain unchanged).
They are claiming it's a replacement. They never mentioned supply shortage to be the reason (but it partly is, I'm aware) but stated Vision is the future and will be better in the end than USS. Yes, they didn't say USS would be disabled but they do see it as a replacement.

They are claiming it's a replacement. They never mentioned supply shortage to be the reason (but it partly is, I'm aware) but stated Vision is the future and will be better in the end than USS. Yes, they didn't say USS would be disabled but they do see it as a replacement.
Not for the cars with USS:

"Will vehicles equipped with ultrasonic sensors have their functionality removed?
At this time, we do not plan to remove the functionality of ultrasonic sensors in our existing fleet."

This is different from radar, where they outright disabled the radar unit in cars with them.

And has also been said in other threads Tesla never stated it was from supply shortages and it was entirely possible for Tesla to ship the cars with wiring harnesses in place but without the sensors and install them later like they've done with other components.

Not for the cars with USS:

"Will vehicles equipped with ultrasonic sensors have their functionality removed?
At this time, we do not plan to remove the functionality of ultrasonic sensors in our existing fleet."

This is different from radar, where they outright disabled the radar unit in cars with them.

Relevant words bolded! That said I can’t see why they’ll be in a hurry to do it. If it does happen it’ll probably be because vision has genuinely surpassed the USS function.

And has also been said in other threads Tesla never stated it was from supply shortages and it was entirely possible for Tesla to ship the cars with wiring harnesses in place but without the sensors and install them later like they've done with other components.
It’s probably the conjunction of two things - they always intended to go with vision for parking functions but then a component shortage forced the timing and they ended up committing before the software was ready.

I also wonder if the parking stuff has some components in common with the single stack and it was blocked on that being releasable.

Yes, Tesla never said it explicitly, but I've posted plenty of evidence in other threads of other manufacturers removing USS during the same time frame. Tesla had it worse than other manufacturers, given it was a standard feature and they used 12 of them.

On the flip side, I didn't find evidence of radar unit shortages or removal with other manufacturers, so that move was likely purely cost cutting (as per recent articles about Tesla engineers, which also didn't point to supply shortages of radar units). People back then kept claiming supply shortage, but Tesla appears to be the only one that removed radar units.

Reactions: Dewg
Relevant words bolded! That said I can’t see why they’ll be in a hurry to do it. If it does happen it’ll probably be because vision has genuinely surpassed the USS function.
They might eventually do so if the software support doesn't make sense to have a separate branch, but I point it out given it is in stark contrast to what they did with radar, where they disabled it outright fairly quickly, even before full functionality was achieved (people argue even currently full functionality have not been achieved yet given the distance setting and max speed).

Reactions: Mullermn