Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla replacing ultrasonic sensors with Tesla Vision

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have you missed what the occupancy network is doing entirely??
It doesn't matter what it is, it's not magic or has any common sense. Probably it learns to rely heavily on seeing the objects rooted on the ground plane/roadway to make 3D estimates because the whole training set is roadways. And if objects are partially occluded or partly out of frame, and also totally novel looking, you're going to get bad predictions.

Reactions: Durzel and jiehan
Perhaps they shouldn't remove USS before implementing the features "with parity" using TeslaVision? I mean, what if TeslaVision doesn't work as well? What are they going to do then? Retrofit thousands of cars? Ha! All seems a bit cart before the horse.
I think removing USS isn't such a big deal because it's only used for summon and autopark, and those features already have poor performance and huge blind spots because of the limitations of USS. I think it would be hard for vision to be worse than USS. If they retrofit anything it should be more/better cameras, not bring back ultrasonics.

I'm going to take bets though that vision-based summon has new limitations, like it loses the "tight clearance" setting that lets you go down to just a few inches of clearance.

I think removing USS isn't such a big deal because it's only used for summon and autopark, and those features already have poor performance and huge blind spots because of the limitations of USS. I think it would be hard for vision to be worse than USS. If they retrofit anything it should be more/better cameras, not bring back ultrasonics.

I'm going to take bets though that vision-based summon has new limitations, like it loses the "tight clearance" setting that lets you go down to just a few inches of clearance.
I would say it’s used pretty frequently in daily driving and parking situations just like any other car with parking sensors.

Just like radar, they can't figure out how to get it to work with the cameras so they are dropping it. Tesla is missing the biggest advantage of these sensors of detecting moving traffic when the car is parked. Backing out is very dangerous and Tesla needs to detect when an object is approaching. The camera's can't detect the side to side traffic especially when the car is between 2 larger vehicles. There are very few drivers in a parking lot that will stop to let someone back out. My daughter was "at fault" because she was 50% out of her parking spot and the other driver still tried to go around and my daughter wasn't able to stop in time.

Just like radar, they can't figure out how to get it to work with the cameras so they are dropping it. Tesla is missing the biggest advantage of these sensors of detecting moving traffic when the car is parked. Backing out is very dangerous and Tesla needs to detect when an object is approaching. The camera's can't detect the side to side traffic especially when the car is between 2 larger vehicles. There are very few drivers in a parking lot that will stop to let someone back out. My daughter was "at fault" because she was 50% out of her parking spot and the other driver still tried to go around and my daughter wasn't able to stop in time.
The sensors they're deleting wouldn't help with that scenario, USS is extremely short-range and only really works for static objects. Traditionally cars have extra corner radar sensors for cross-traffic alerts but Tesla has never installed anything like that. They could probably implement some cross-traffic alert feature using the existing cameras, but more or better cameras would be best.

...huge blind spots...
To solve the sonar blind spot problem, Tesla should install more sonars instead of taking them away.

The summon below got the car halfway out and collided with the garage door frame on the left.

There are only 2 side sonars on the left side. The front left sonar is located on the side of the front bumper, and it sees lots of clearance because it is already out of the garage. Same with the rear left sonar located at the left rear bumper seeing lots of clearance all the way to the left wall of the garage because it is not at the garage door frame just yet.

The problem here is there are no sonars between the front and the rear bumpers to sense that there's a garage door frame at the left side doors of the car.

Last edited:
Reactions: beachmiles

ultrasonics have a few meters range at best

When I got on FSD Beta last year, Vision Only greatly improved my auto-parking.

I can guarantee you that most people don't use auto parking and park manually, for which the sonars are extremely important.

For example, I know that I need to park my car 18-20" from the wall in order for the garage door to close. The sonar tells me this.

I can guarantee you that most people don't use auto parking and park manually, for which the sonars are extremely important.

For example, I know that I need to park my car 18-20" from the wall in order for the garage door to close. The sonar tells me this.

So wait and see what the result of this change is, theres no reason it cant display the same or better info