Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla replacing ultrasonic sensors with Tesla Vision

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not convinced humans do it better. Looking at what is generated by the occupancy network, I doubt most humans can estimate and remember object distances at that resolution (that's why plenty of people have problem with curbs and curb stops in front, as well as curbing their wheels pulling to the side).
I don't know whether they will be better or not, all I know is humans are bad at it. It's really hard. I'm careful and I've scraped on parking stops on occasion (fortunately nothing serious yet with current car). Hence, I don't think this will work for occupancy network either. Too difficult. I don't think it will ever have the accuracy required. (Parking a couple feet from the parking stop or curb is a failure, of course - that's how I think failure here will manifest.)

No one outside of Tesla knows how well the occupancy network works right now, I don't think.

Last edited:
Many of these discussions are all or nothing. Why not put in better USS that do detect low curbs. Why not put in a front bumper camera that does look down. Put in a better radar. Tesla is happy to delete things, why not improve the specs over time instead of removing them.

Yes, they claim Vision is going to be so good, but it isn't yet, has blind spots, and no redundancy. Software guesstimation and wheel rotation counting is no substitute for actually looking & sensing.

Smart Summon, for one, will never be relied upon if we have to "assume" that nothing is in the blind spot. The point of Tesla's dream was that Smart Summon, Reverse Summon, etc would do it safely without you anywhere near the car. It has to be better than "can't detect 7" curbs and small mobile objects". Or is that dream gone forever and we will never be allowed to let "the car do it". It just seems pointless to keep trying software trickery with such large blind spots and limitations.

If you can't see the car stopped in front of you, likely with lights on, you can't see the lane lines ahead to be able to navigate the road. (And USS would be of no help in your hypothetical situation.)
Correct, if you can’t see what’s ahead you shouldn’t be relying on a radar anyway to avoid obstacles. I sure the court isn’t going to be lenient when you run someone over and offer the defence that you couldn’t see, but the radar said it was ok!

Reactions: LorentzTorque
Tesla is happy to delete things, why not improve the specs over time instead of removing them.
I mean, they have…

Off the top of my head, they moved to MCU 3, upgraded the low voltage battery to Lithium, updated the headlights to matrix lights, updated the max charging speed, and added CCS charging capability. I’m sure there’s more.

Related to FSD, they’re currently on AP3 for processing, and they updated the cameras to RCCB.

These things don’t justify removing functionality in exchange for an IOU, of course. It also doesn’t change that Elon’s timelines are garbage. But they have improved stuff.

....they moved to MCU 3, upgraded the low voltage battery to Lithium, updated the headlights to matrix lights, updated the max charging speed, and added CCS charging capability. I’m sure there’s more....
....and they have removed the $35k Model 3, Rear wheel drive Y, HomeLink, Ambient Lighting, Passenger Lumbar, Silver Color, Radar and now USS. I’m sure there’s more. 🤣 🤣 🤣

• Informative
Reactions: Dan D.
...What’s your point?
No real point. Just needed a fun post this morning since I'm down on Tesla removing USS before Vision is ready. Thought I would focus a little on negative nelly. Also raining and about to head out and I know what Beta will say about that (I have forgot how to drive and only know how to take over and bitch at my car 🤣 ). But at least when I get to work I can still see the distance from the concrete pillars......or has Tesla removed it already?:oops: 😅

I wonder how hard/expensive it would be to add a camera as a retrofit.
They're not gonna do it. Too expensive. I also am still steamed that when I back out of a parking lot space I am not warned of a car whipping by or a person crosses the back of my car. Several times I could've had a crash or injured a person.. This should be STANDARD software.

Reactions: E90alex and DrGriz
They're not gonna do it. Too expensive. I also am still steamed that when I back out of a parking lot space I am not warned of a car whipping by or a person crosses the back of my car. Several times I could've had a crash or injured a person.. This should be STANDARD software.
The way those are done in other cars is using radar sensors on the left and right of the rear bumper (same ones used for blind spot monitoring). A camera is going to be of limited use for this application unless they are mounted in similar locations, especially if you have cars on either side of you blocking the side cameras. They can do a rudimentary software solution, but it won't give you any warning beyond what you can see with your own eyes in the rear view camera, and would give a false sense of security.

FSD Beta is designed to never back out of a parking space (it's designed to back in), so they won't have incentive to address this ever.