Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Roadside Assistance in Australia: limitations?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I asked the following of Tesla but I haven't had a reply:

"We are about to embark on our first long trip since lock down and will be touring in Victoria up to 300km from Tesla service centres.
The Roadside Assistance page states:

"Breakdowns
A warrantable breakdown of the car that renders it un-drivable.
Coverage: Transportation services to the nearest Service Center are provided."

"Flat Tire
Damage to the wheel or tire that causes flat or unsafe driving conditions.
Coverage: Flat tire services are provided for up to 80 km."

Is there any km limit to nearest Service Centre for a breakdown?

What is meant by “are provided up to 80km" in flat tyre paragraph? Is that how far a tow is free?

In the past, for new cars we have relied on the manufacturer's roadside assistance in the warranty period, where their policy is more explicitly defined, for example VW Australia, and covers our requirements.

Is the Tesla plan adequate in Australia?

I asked the following of Tesla but I haven't had a reply:

"We are about to embark on our first long trip since lock down and will be touring in Victoria up to 300km from Tesla service centres.
The Roadside Assistance page states:

"Breakdowns
A warrantable breakdown of the car that renders it un-drivable.
Coverage: Transportation services to the nearest Service Center are provided."

"Flat Tire

Is there any km limit to nearest Service Centre for a breakdown?

What is meant by “are provided up to 80km" in flat tyre paragraph? Is that how far a tow is free?

In the past, for new cars we have relied on the manufacturer's roadside assistance in the warranty period, where their policy is more explicitly defined, for example VW Australia, and covers our requirements.

Is the Tesla plan adequate in Australia?
I've never needed roadside assist or tyre exchange.
Had the S for nearly 7 years and 137k km; had the 3 for over a year and 23k km.
Had plenty of slow leaks (6 in one tyre once) but haven't had a flat tyre in over 20 years.

Reactions: AussieOwner
"Flat Tire

I don’t know, but my guess is this means Tesla will provide a flat tyre service up to 80km from the nearest Service Centre. You’d still need to pay for it, they don’t say it’s free or included. Further than 80km, I suspect you’re on your own, or you need to use other roadside assistance.

Had plenty of slow leaks (6 in one tyre once) but haven't had a flat tyre in over 20 years.

I got a serious puncture in my Model 3 only 3 weeks ago, in suburban Sydney 🤷‍♂️:

Outside of the city think about NRMA or equivalent, especially if you or other family members would not be able to deal with the situation on their own.
When we go off into the wild we have a full size spare plus the kit to change a wheel. Uses a bit of space but there is room in the X. It means you can be back on the road relatively quickly and not be sitting there on the roadside. With sidewall damage tyre goo or plugs aren't much use.

I have a small puncture repair kit in my M3, It sits in that little nook in the boot behind the charging point. So far I have only used repair kits twice on my motorcycle and never on a car. I have done 35k on my M3, so the tires are still original and have been very good.
The car did develop a squeaky left upper control arm 6 weeks ago. I got scheduled for service and they diagnosed the issue and said they ordered the part. So far they have been postponing replacing it a week at a time for a month now as the part has not arrived. So having a SC near does not guarantee they can get the parts needed :(

My wife and I have both driven cars with no spare and run flats for around 20 years (BMW). We have had several punctures in that time, , 5 from memory, and because we live 85 km from Brisbane and 50 km from Ipswich have been very glad for the run flats, especially at 10:30 pm on the Cunningham Highway which is a semi-trailer highway at night.
No way could I have my wife drive a car that will strand her on the side of a dangerous highway at night. Madness. If you never leave the city ot city to city corridors, maybe ok.

My wife and I have both driven cars with no spare and run flats for around 20 years (BMW). We have had several punctures in that time, , 5 from memory, and because we live 85 km from Brisbane and 50 km from Ipswich have been very glad for the run flats, especially at 10:30 pm on the Cunningham Highway which is a semi-trailer highway at night.
No way could I have my wife drive a car that will strand her on the side of a dangerous highway at night. Madness. If you never leave the city ot city to city corridors, maybe ok.
A colleague at work showed up on Thursday with a "flat tyre" and I went out to help her change it. It was a CLA250 (so no spare), and she'd a pothole so large that it had blown a 3x3cm square out of her sidewall. I asked where it had happened, and it turns out that she drove 15kms to work, including over the Harbour Bridge, with the tyre in that state. I was impressed and can finally see the benefit of them over the hard ride trade off.
According to the Bridgestone dealer they're good for 80kms at 80km/h.

I picked up my Tesla on Friday, went for a drive on Saturday, and got a puncture in the front right tyre. So I got to try out Tesla roadside assistance. They couldn't get a loaner wheel to me, but they organised a flat bed to take us home. That all worked out well and for the help we got it was great.

However, I'm now at home with the flat tyre and I need to get it to a tyre centre to get repaired, and I'm not sure how I'm going to get the wheel off to get it there, since there's no supplied jack and spare wheel. I'm going to phone the tyre centre tomorrow and hopefully they can suggest something.

I've also submitted a service request to get a quote for a spare wheel kit since I got lucky this weekend. I was at the edge of a town when it happened, and was able to get into a good position to pull over, and importantly have mobile phone reception to deal with it all. Next time I might not be as fortunate. I'm planning to only put the kit in when I'm driving on the longer trips away from the main service areas. Going to/from Brisbane or around the coast - not going to carry it.

Well that is astoundingly bad luck. How bad is the puncture? Can it be plugged? Or pump the tyre up and have it last long enough to drive to the closest tyre place?
After some investigation and discussion with a tyre place, the tyre is unrepairable. It's got 2 holes close to each other, so the plug repair system allegedly won't be suitable. Have ordered another tyre to replace it (from the tyre place), it should be here tomorrow and they've got a mobile van to come up and do the work.

Great start to owning the vehicle. ...sigh... but, that's life I guess.

So, you have been lucky.
I suspect its maybe small part luck but in most part the improvements in tire technology and some improvements in road quality. I remember 25 years ago a flat tire was pretty much expected every few months to a year, it gradually got better and in last 10 years I have not had a flat in my car, but I have had 3 flats on my motorcycle where all of them have been drill bits or nails from roadworks sites that have punctured the tires. 3 years ago I moved on from my last ICE car that also had a spare tire in boot to Model 3 and got me a tire repair kit in case of an unlikely puncture. So with the current state of tech and tires, I don't believe it is luck that keeps you from getting punctures. As busted tires are rather rare compared to ones that last their whole life without punctures you could say that it is just unlucky if you do end up getting a busted tire on the road.

I picked up my Tesla on Friday, went for a drive on Saturday, and got a puncture in the front right tyre. So I got to try out Tesla roadside assistance. They couldn't get a loaner wheel to me, but they organised a flat bed to take us home. That all worked out well and for the help we got it was great.

However, I'm now at home with the flat tyre and I need to get it to a tyre centre to get repaired, and I'm not sure how I'm going to get the wheel off to get it there, since there's no supplied jack and spare wheel. I'm going to phone the tyre centre tomorrow and hopefully they can suggest something.
I wonder if tow truck operators know not to complain when you say 'take my car home' because that means they might get another job for 'take my car from home to the tyre shop' the next day. Better for business that way.

Last time I had my Tesla towed (thank you NRMA!) due to stuffed 12 volt electrics (with a range of causes (almost entirely my fault) and symptoms being no headlights or front blinkers & constant on-screen warnings to replace the 12 volt battery), I just had the tow truck drop it across the street from the Canberra Service Centre. The tow truck driver then offered to drop me home as my place was practically on his way, even though NRMA offered me an Uber ride. I didn't feel like standing around late at night waiting.

I added a chat comment to the ticket in the Tesla app, something to the effect of "it's parked opposite your driveway, use your magic access, or call me on (x) for a remote unlock". By the time I woke up the next morning, they had practically finished fixing it, and they'd even charged it!

I probably should follow up - I found a local tyre centre that could get the correct tyre in over night. And they had a mobile van service that came to my place. The punctured tyre was repaired (after being told it wasn't going to be able, but that's another story). Got the new one on and the repaired is awaiting a cheap rim to arrive to go on as a spare wheel.

All of the tyres were over inflated (from our pick up at the delivery centre) - I think cold they were 46 to 48. They were suppose to be 42.

Reactions: Hairyman