Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

tesla S 90d range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i would like to know what the real range of my just bought second hand Tesl aS 90d is?
now after full charging it says 260 miles were i read in reviews that it should be at least 350
this is range before start i know real range is lower but why do i start at 260 isnsteat of 350 or is the 260 normal?
Thanks for replying

A 90D was rated at 294 miles when new on the US EPA test cycle. A used example showing a 100% range of ~260 is pretty common as the 90kwh batteries degraded pretty quickly.

From what google tells me a 90D was rated at 328 miles on the European NEDC cycle, not 350. In Europe, you should have two range settings available under Controls -> Display... "rated" and "typical". Rated should show NEDC range (hyper-unrealistic) and "typical" should show US EPA range (much more realistic, the ~260 or so miles you're currently seeing).

An early 90D (2015/2016) pre-refresh had an EPA rating of 270 miles. The refreshed 90d had an EPA rating of 294 miles. For the purposes of this discussion I will assume we are talking rated miles because ideal miles is a useless measure.

The early 90d packs did suffer more upfront degradation than the 85 pack but does settle down. It is certainly reasonable for a revision A 90d pack to show ~10% degradation.

I did see some odd range behaviour on my 2016 90D Nose Cone:

Rated Range at 80% SOC has been a very stable 345 km (216 miles) since I got the car two years ago, which would equal exactly the 270 rated miles the car had when new. We rarely drive the car until almost empty, so I got a positive but kind of unexpected surprise when I did this weekend. My wife forgot to plug it in on Friday so I started driving with a battery that was only at 20% charge.

I had expected to need a stop at the Super Charger, which I did not need, the car "found" increasingly more range over the day. When I parked the car at the end of the day on Saturday, it had driven exactly the 345 km (216 miles) since the last charge to 80% that should have gotten me to 0 km remaining. However, I still had 70 km (45 miles) remaining range, with a total of 64.9 kWh used. At around 19 kWh/100 km, that means that roughly 12 kWh capacity still remained in the battery.

And here things kind of stop adding up. I had charged to 80% and got a total of about 77 kWh out of that. Which means that 100% would equal 96 kWh - which does not make sense for a 90D. Did I overlook something or is the BMS wonky here? By the way, after recharging to 80% the car again claimed 345 km of range at 80%. I have no clue if the car still has its original battery or what the exact battery type is. I bought used from Tesla in 2020 and they would not share the service records with me. The car has 85,000 km (approx 53000 miles) on it.

Just to add my 2 cents - my 2016.5 MS 90D shows 272 miles range @ 55k miles. In real world travels, I'm pretty sure I can pull off 280-290 miles. I have went on 21 mile trips (to the Tesla shop ha!) and only lost 16 miles of range. I have some other examples of 120 mile trips only dropping my displayed range by 110 miles. I think I'm pretty lucky though, others seem to have more degradation than I do... This one would have been 294 miles new. (PS: This is even after dropping PSI from 45 to 41 on all 4 tires. So far, this has made the ride much better, reduced noise & has not reduced my range)

Just an update: After running my 90D down to 10-20 miles on a couple of trips, the range now shows 265 miles @ 100%. Around town, I believe I can pull that off. On road trips @ 75MPH though, I'd say 220 miles is all she will go!