Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla S - Daily Driver or Second Car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am curious how many Tesla S drivers (any flavor) use as daily vehicle vs their weekend or second vehicle?

Thinking about downsizing from 3 (Porsche, Audi and SUV) vehicles to 2 (Tesla S and SUV).

Just curious how frequently others are using their Tesla's.

I drive mine just about every day. I even look for reasons to drive. I downsized from 3 as well: 67 Mustang (my 1st car), Maxima & a Highlander down to the Tesla and the highlander. I would love to swap the SUV for an X once I'v saved enough pennies again.

It was agonizing to let go of my Mustang, I had many bouts of remorse between it's sale and the delivery of the Model S... but now what I've got the Model S, 20/20 I don't miss it at all.

I drive mine just about every day. I even look for reasons to drive. I downsized from 3 as well: 67 Mustang (my 1st car), Maxima & a Highlander down to the Tesla and the highlander. I would love to swap the SUV for an X once I'v saved enough pennies again.

It was agonizing to let go of my Mustang, I had many bouts of remorse between it's sale and the delivery of the Model S... but now what I've got the Model S, 20/20 I don't miss it at all.

We have a local car show, and this year I brought the Tesla, the '64 Mustang, and the '65 GTO - and I needed a third driver beside my wife and I to do so. It's sad to say this, because I love my old cars, but all the attention went to the Tesla. I've been wondering whether I should keep the Mustang anymore. A big shame, but I'll likely have to make the same decision.

MS has been my daily driver since Dec 12. Commuting 70 miles daily without issues and loving it. Sold my previous car (RAV4!) and have not looked back. Go for it

hey me too! upgraded from Rav4 - but daily commute is only 8 miles (r trip) and picked up my S Dec 1st
it is the most used car and the one we take on road trips

Daily driver, road trip car, grocery getter, race track car (took it on Richmond Int'l Raceway). You name it. Also sit in the front yard and stare at it car.
+ all these and many Hardware store trips for lumber / dirt .. etc. I like the S too much more than the old, leaky pickup truck!

Not sure why this got so many replies. Isn't it obvious no one with a Model S would willingly drive an inferior car that costs more to run?

Actually I appreciate all of the replies. It seems as though almost half do have an ICE vehicle that they keep around or use for other things.

I am a) debating buying a Tesla S ; b) which cars should I unload (have 3) to do it

Thank you again for all of the replies.

Last edited:
Daily driver here too. We kept the minivan for long out-of-state trips and Home Depot runs (5 people in the household, my father-in-law lives with us). About 1K miles per month on the Model S, I think I've bought at most 4 tanks of gas for the van since last November.

My wife's due for a new car - if Tesla already had their Gen3 she'd go for it (she finds the Model S to be too big), or if there was a volt-like series hybrid that appealed to her sense of style (there isn't). This means no dual EVs for the time being -- instead, she's looking to get a Boxster - I'm torn on that one, it _is_ an ICE but it does look like a fun car :).

/Mitch.

Instant daily driver for long commute and kid hauler for me. Used it so much aka couldn't share ;) so replaced wife's car with a second daily driver/ kid hauler from Tesla ;) IMHO one of these cars is better than a separate sedan, sports car, minivan, wagon or mid-life crisis mobile. YMMV.

The only reasons I can think you need something else: 1) you regularly tow something big (we kept the old SUV for occasion boat duty) 2) you need a pickup for hauling stuff 3) lots of 200+ mile daily r/t with no charging options (sucks, sorry :( 4) Oh yeah! the sticker price, but if you can get into it, you'll get over that

More than daily. My wife and I both got new cars at the same time. Prior to this, we had "his" and "hers" cars. With the Tesla, it's evolved to "primary" and "secondary". We drive the Tesla unless someone else already has the Tesla out, and only then do we use the BMW.