Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla S P100D driving like maniac

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was driving my Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor and I suddenly see this Tesla Model S just zooming past me as I looked at my rear view mirrors. I knew they were fast, but I didn't think they were that fast. Then I look at the badge and it says P100D, probably has ludicrous mode because this guy was def going fast. I had no idea if he was pissed off or just having fun with his car, but he was def going fast enough to scare somebody who doesn't like fast cars.

I tried to race him when we were at a stoplight, but the Model 3 dual motor had no chance, that guy was pulling away from me. It was truly remarkable to see a P100D go fast because it def looked fast from just being outside the car. Probably faster than most gas based modded sport cars I've seen.

I heard the P100D can be faster than some exotics, even possibly a Bugatti. I'm not sure if I stated it correctly, but I think a source said this Tesla Model S can beat hypercars like Bugattis, or at least be as fast as them.

It's all relative. I've driven plenty of fast gas cars that felt slow because of their slow reaction and spin up times.

On the other hand, the Nissan Leaf actually feels snappier than a Model S with it's instant throttle response, helped by it's low power output and motor design.

I find that anything under 5 sec 0-60 and a top speed of at least 120 to be sufficient enough for good fun. I had a blast flooring an 85D everywhere without worrying about breaking loose or law enforcement.

With my P85D, it's a little more serious and extra care should be taken to not freak others out on the road....

Reactions: TK16688
Please don't say "fast" when you mean quick. Fast is 200 mph; quick is 0-60 under 3 seconds.

In actual usage by both the masses, and experts in car magazines, "fast" is often used to mean "fast acceleration." Even my extreme pedantry has come to accept that. It doesn't bother me any more. Now pedantry of others on that point does.

List of fastest production cars by acceleration - Wikipedia

https://jalopnik.com/the-fastest-0-60-time-a-person-could-actually-survive-1792093851

Reactions: EinSV
It's all relative. I've driven plenty of fast gas cars that felt slow because of their slow reaction and spin up times.

On the other hand, the Nissan Leaf actually feels snappier than a Model S with it's instant throttle response, helped by it's low power output and motor design.

I find that anything under 5 sec 0-60 and a top speed of at least 120 to be sufficient enough for good fun. I had a blast flooring an 85D everywhere without worrying about breaking loose or law enforcement.

With my P85D, it's a little more serious and extra care should be taken to not freak others out on the road....
Your P85D had better throttle response when it came out.
Tesla changed it to keep the drivetrain a bit longer :)

I'm sure he was just having fun. It's addicting...

I rarely see Model S driving fast, most of them are just commuters who don't care for thrill.

I only expect cars like Nissan GTRs or Lamborghinis to show off their speed or have fun. At first I thought that Model S driver had a bad day at work or had a fight with his wife, but then I pulled up to his car and realized it was a P100D, so I figured he was just having fun with his car.

So do most people who buy P100D buy it for its performance? I heard these cars could beat hypercars in the "quick" sector, like 0 to 60 mph speed.