Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla sales continue downwards trend in Europe

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Judging the entries of this topic, it seems to me that Stalkless or not is the major factor causing Tesla drivers to think again when it comes to replacing their current model.
Is this really an issue can we hear from drivers currently driving a stalkless Tesla?

Last edited:
Their sales stocks are worrying. Just sailed into Southampton and there are 1000s of Model 3 and Model Ys parked there in a number of different car parks.
They really should drop the prices here as they have in all other countries?
I'm assuming you're joking (mentioning for other people).

The alternative is that you don't realise many Teslas are imported by ship into Southampton and it takes a while to shift them to delivery centres - especially as many ports are really struggling with various factors nowadays including a lack of car transporter HGVs, container blockages etc.

To be honest I think Tesla should change their philosophy and get back to making the best cars they can.
Whilst a few years ago their best was at times a variable standard with paint and panel gap issues you have to appreciate just what Tesla had achieved in a short time making a truly long range, comfortable and powerful car that was well equipped and quite unique, sure it was expensive and their were foibles that needed to be ironed out - but most people are quite forgiving when they are early adopters of new technologies. Tesla struggled to ramp up production and were on the verge of going bust a few times - Elon was admirable and invested his last 100 million into Tesla and Space X - a sort of all or nothing - very very brave of him.

But, production numbers were achieved, the company became financially stable, the stock values soared - and then the ethos changed.
I call it penny pinching but what it really was every new development was publicised whilst a few components were removed to pay for the new bits - whilst keeping quiet about what was removed - and all sold to the public as upgrades.

Tiny things like the LEDS in the door card pockets, the bag hooks and carpet in the frunk, the referral scheme - and when no one was complaining the Chrome went, the much superior centre console, The bottom half of the door cards changed from soft feel to hard plastic - like a Fiesta. The £1000 option for white interior - used to have a white panel on the door cards - that became black faux Alcantara. The SOS buttons on the roof lining, The USBs all used to carry data but later cars restricted to just one data carrying port. The electric passenger seat lumber support system.

Of course to keep things balanced they did fit the 3D6 motor, Ryzen, Lithium low voltage battery, 2 reversing lights, a powered boot, heated steering wheel. laminated windows and matrix headlamps and of course my little pet hate the heat pump. My point is - If they kept most of the older features and added the new they would have a brilliant car - always moving towards improvement.

But just an example of how Tesla lack scruples, the fitted Matrix headlamps, but due to production issues ran out - so fitted cars with the older headlamps and supplied them until the Matric lamps became available again - no offer to swap out for those owners who were unlucky enough to have the older style headlights when they had ordered a car advertising Matrix.

The stalks - that's an absolute deal breaker for me, Stalks are intuitive, I've had them in one form or another ever since i started driving in 1974, I've no intention to suffer stalkless, why should I? perhaps I could get used to it - but I don't want to. there is now a lot of choice out there. I don't care which way Tesla want to go - that's their business - and i will exercise my choice and my money by overlooking Tesla on my next change.

The idea of gear selection by swiping the screen fills me with dread. Handing over complete control to a fully electronic and integrated system that I cant override doesn't seem sensible. I'm sure its probably fine, but we are talking of a capacitive screen - the touch activates circuits that trigger gear selection, just one faulty capacitor that discharges when it shouldn't and triggering reverse whilst driving seems a distinct possibility - one I can do without.

My 2020 M3P is superb though, very pleased with it and I actually like the looks of it, Tesla has shown me what an EV can do - and its like your very first house purchase - it identifies all the things you like and all the things you don't like to be present in your next house.

So thanks for the education Tesla but future purchase by me is a big No. but good luck and health to enjoy to all of you that will buy another Tesla.

• Disagree
Reactions: STUtoday and MD70
To be honest I think Tesla should change their philosophy and get back to making the best cars they can.
Whilst a few years ago their best was at times a variable standard with paint and panel gap issues you have to appreciate just what Tesla had achieved in a short time making a truly long range, comfortable and powerful car that was well equipped and quite unique, sure it was expensive and their were foibles that needed to be ironed out - but most people are quite forgiving when they are early adopters of new technologies. Tesla struggled to ramp up production and were on the verge of going bust a few times - Elon was admirable and invested his last 100 million into Tesla and Space X - a sort of all or nothing - very very brave of him.

But, production numbers were achieved, the company became financially stable, the stock values soared - and then the ethos changed.
I call it penny pinching but what it really was every new development was publicised whilst a few components were removed to pay for the new bits - whilst keeping quiet about what was removed - and all sold to the public as upgrades.

Tiny things like the LEDS in the door card pockets, the bag hooks and carpet in the frunk, the referral scheme - and when no one was complaining the Chrome went, the much superior centre console, The bottom half of the door cards changed from soft feel to hard plastic - like a Fiesta. The £1000 option for white interior - used to have a white panel on the door cards - that became black faux Alcantara. The SOS buttons on the roof lining, The USBs all used to carry data but later cars restricted to just one data carrying port. The electric passenger seat lumber support system.

Of course to keep things balanced they did fit the 3D6 motor, Ryzen, Lithium low voltage battery, 2 reversing lights, a powered boot, heated steering wheel. laminated windows and matrix headlamps and of course my little pet hate the heat pump. My point is - If they kept most of the older features and added the new they would have a brilliant car - always moving towards improvement.

But just an example of how Tesla lack scruples, the fitted Matrix headlamps, but due to production issues ran out - so fitted cars with the older headlamps and supplied them until the Matric lamps became available again - no offer to swap out for those owners who were unlucky enough to have the older style headlights when they had ordered a car advertising Matrix.

The stalks - that's an absolute deal breaker for me, Stalks are intuitive, I've had them in one form or another ever since i started driving in 1974, I've no intention to suffer stalkless, why should I? perhaps I could get used to it - but I don't want to. there is now a lot of choice out there. I don't care which way Tesla want to go - that's their business - and i will exercise my choice and my money by overlooking Tesla on my next change.

The idea of gear selection by swiping the screen fills me with dread. Handing over complete control to a fully electronic and integrated system that I cant override doesn't seem sensible. I'm sure its probably fine, but we are talking of a capacitive screen - the touch activates circuits that trigger gear selection, just one faulty capacitor that discharges when it shouldn't and triggering reverse whilst driving seems a distinct possibility - one I can do without.

My 2020 M3P is superb though, very pleased with it and I actually like the looks of it, Tesla has shown me what an EV can do - and its like your very first house purchase - it identifies all the things you like and all the things you don't like to be present in your next house.

So thanks for the education Tesla but future purchase by me is a big No. but good luck and health to enjoy to all of you that will buy another Tesla.
My 4th EV was my first Tesla. While not everybody needs a Tesla, I still think it's the best long distance EV out there, particularly for business drivers. No regrets.

Not driven a Highland yet, so can't comment on stalkless.

Reactions: UkNorthampton
Their sales stocks are worrying. Just sailed into Southampton and there are 1000s of Model 3 and Model Ys parked there in a number of different car parks.
They really should drop the prices here as they have in all other countries?
That's what happens when you unload a ship full of cars at a car terminal, you park them up awaiting PDI and customer delivery/collection. There are no dealers to distribute the cars to.

Reactions: UkNorthampton
My 4th EV was my first Tesla. While not everybody needs a Tesla, I still think it's the best long distance EV out there, particularly for business drivers. No regrets.

Not driven a Highland yet, so can't comment on stalkless.
Not as deep into EV's so far as you but do a lot of research plus got burnt with the Eletre. I agree with this assessment.

Kia / Hyundai - Good powertrains, fast charging and some nice designs. The infotainment though is supposed to be pretty awful from reviews I've seen.

BMW / Mercedes / Audi - Mostly ICE platform cars turned into an EV so have transmission tunnels, normally no frunk and less overall interior space which is a benefit of an EV.

Porsche - These ones seem good but again maybe not the best infotainment. Not a fan of the millions of options and how much stuff that you'd expect to be included is all an option.

Polestar - Think these are quite nice overall, maybe closest to Tesla. Also Geely like Lotus though and that didn't go too well for me so I'm not sure I would jump in there but the Polestar 5 might be decent seeing as Tesla won't give us a Plaid in the UK.

Sure I'm missing others but the other elephant in the room is the Supercharging network, even if that's becoming a weaker case it's still there.

Have any actual RHD Berlin build VIN’s actually appeared in the UK yet?
Good question, I'm going by reports on TMC & other places.

Here is one report. Newer entries on that thread indicate end of June 2024 for Berlin supplying Model Ys - not sure what percentage/trims. Might be coming from Bremerhaven port. Also delayed China ships continuing to arrive (by Red Sea closure). Lot of excitement over Model 3 arrivals.

Here are where the Southampton Teslas came from - they'll be delivered to their new keepers within days. For @roadcred to explain why lots of Teslas temporarily at Southampton (if it was a joke, a /s is helpful - at least for me).

"Teslas - fawsends of 'em"

Thursday at 9:57 PM

MORNING POST docked at Southampton! I imagine they'll be processing vehicles tomorrow as it's late now and hopefully the cars stay clean without more wind and rain!

Last edited:
So you are selling lots and lots of widgets and, because of this, decide to reduce the cost of your widgets?!
The cost of making Teslas in China goes down over time due to a range of reasons
  1. Efficiencies that Tesla and their suppliers introduce in a way that no other car company can do - multiple improvements every day, trialled on a few cars, tracked via digital twin, homologated via twin & rolled out if successful (Agile Hardware). [Joe Justice, Munro Associates for more info]
  2. Cheaper battery prices - as low as $57 per kWh for automotive LFP have been reported at cell level. CATL supplied whole Tesla LFP packs saving Tesla money, time and space. I'm not sure who is currently supplying Tesla LFP and in what proportion in each location. I believe that both CATL and BYD have been or are suppliers. LFP is 50% (maybe more) of Teslas now [Jeff Lutz]
  3. Non Tesla car companies have collapsed their orders leading to Tesla being regarded as a tough but fair customer - most importantly dependable. Tesla can utilise this [Jeff Lutz]
  4. Deflation in Chinese factory output prices for many companies including Tesla
    1717446944029.png

Tesla are winning in China and have the knowledge, tools, products and preparation to withstand any wave of Chinese imports. BYD Seal & Tesla prices not much different. Teslas are competitive (in my opinion) in all their main markets.

Much of this applies to other Tesla manufacturing hubs such as Berlin.

This has resulted in 10% price cuts for Teslas in some markets such as Norway (and Australia I believe) while using subsidised interest rates in others. Subsidised interest rates tend to work better in markets that use debt to buy cars, cash reduction better in other markets. In the UK, subsidised interest rates have less effect on second-hand prices and there's a huge supply of Model Ys coming up on the secondary market from leases ending. Luckily demand for second-hand Teslas is up hugely - but I could see Tesla UK preferring lower interest rates for the moment.

What does this mean for the future? Tesla will stay competitive, dominating EV market pricing in their key markets. EV prices will continue to fall while those who understand Total Cost of Ownership and that EVs are better vehicles will buy EVs again. Internal Combustion Engine (ICE) economics fails as suppliers are squeezed from lower prices from desperate ICE car makers and lower volumes. Plant can't be used optimally, Headquarters and other overhead costs become supplier-killing.

The title of this thread has been debunked in my opinion. For those keeping an open mind, I'd suggest weighing up info in the thread versus headlines that often don't match articles (writers don't choose headlines). Headlines are often chosen by others for clickbait - indeed there are often different headlines that are tested and the most negative often wins due to human nature. This process is now automated or aided by Artificial Intelligence (AI) - so

1. Headlines often don't match article
  2. Article often doesn't match data
  3. Multiple fear-related headlines are pumped out for the less discerning to be caught out by
  4. Most effective (often most inaccurate) headline wins.

Last edited: