Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla says it can't be done: But it can: new higher resolution rear camera

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up the camera I ordered from the SC, but the parts number is -C instead of -B. Hope they're interchangeable. Will install in a few days after I get some 3M VHB tape for reinstalling the appliqué.

Speaking of which, is there a specific model of VHB tape I should use?

Check rick/artsci's instructions for the applique--he does give a particular type of 3M tape (width/thickness) and maybe even an Amazon link.

I apologise if this was answered already. Is this new camera that you guys are ordering the same camera as in new AP2.0 cars? And is it of a higher resolution than the cameras before it? If so, that would mean that Tesla has 3 cameras of varying quality so far. 2012-2014Q2, 2014Q3-2016Q3, and 2016Q4-present, correct?

I apologise if this was answered already. Is this new camera that you guys are ordering the same camera as in new AP2.0 cars? And is it of a higher resolution than the cameras before it? If so, that would mean that Tesla has 3 cameras of varying quality so far. 2012-2014Q2, 2014Q3-2016Q3, and 2016Q4-present, correct?
The camera we're getting is the same as those on newer post-facelift AP1 cars. I'm not sure if it's also the same as AP2 or not.

It definitely feels higher resolution (or at least sharper) than the pre-facelift cameras.

The camera we're getting is the same as those on newer post-facelift AP1 cars. I'm not sure if it's also the same as AP2 or not.

It definitely feels higher resolution (or at least sharper) than the pre-facelift cameras.

Understood, so that would mean that there are at least 3 camera qualities, possibly 4 if AP2 is a different one. Any change to the viewing angle? AND, any possibility of being able to flip the horizontal on this one so that it could be used with the front camera mod? If I recall, the old cameras couldn't have their view flipped.

Not sure if this is exactly where I should drop this information, but I figured I'd post the lengths and gender of the cables that are part of the Model S assembly. I purchased these for my trailer project and have been meaning to post them for others who are considering using them for their own projects. I will have extended mine over 30' and will update this thread on whether or not it works at that length.

100-6780-00-D Female/Female 65.5"
100-6781-00-E Male/Male 144"
100-6782-00-E Female/Female 53.5"

• Informative
Reactions: MP3Mike
And just to clarify, it's the actual copper pins in the connectors that define male/female?
Correct. Attached is a female connector.

Note also that the camera itself terminates in a male connector.
IMG_3552.JPG

Reactions: HankLloydRight