Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla says SC are not for profit, but way more expensive than for profit EA chargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One other item to take into account is the time it takes to get to the SCer from the time you exit the highway and or get back to the highway. I travel 4 times a year from southern IL to southern MD via I-64 and a few of my SCer stops are MILES off the interstate. Louisville and Mt Hope are two that are almost 10 miles off the highway. That adds 15 minutes or more with construction in/around Louisville on 265 we have been stuck in traffic for 20 minutes.
True enough. On my trips most Superchargers are fairly conveniently located. Harrisburg, PA is one of the worst as this is not exactly out of the way (it goes on a slightly less direct direction around the beltline around Harrisburg), but at times that stretch can get congested.

I also stopped at Breezewood, PA on the last trip and good lord, getting in and out of the parking lot there is a huge hassle even though the Superchargers are essentially right at the exit.

However, I thought I'd share one experience I had on the trip I took Sunday. I started out with 100% SOC because I was able to charge at the hotel the night before, thus making the first leg of the day plenty long. So long in fact that we needed to stop well before the car did. So we went into a McDonald's to use the restroom and my son grabbed lunch.

Over 30 minutes later he finally got his food!

We may have just gotten unlucky, but this wasn't even during what I would consider a lunch rush hour (it was after 1:00pm). So even if we had been in an ICE vehicle and happened to hit this particular snag waiting for lunch we would have had a 30 minute stopover!

Over 30 minutes later he finally got his food!

We may have just gotten unlucky, but this wasn't even during what I would consider a lunch rush hour (it was after 1:00pm). So even if we had been in an ICE vehicle and happened to hit this particular snag waiting for lunch we would have had a 30 minute stopover!
This is why when Bjorn did his ICE vs BEV races, he always had a rule where if you feel hungry, you have to stop to eat,... And if you have to pee, you have to stop to use the restroom. With these two rules, basically the ICE cars were stopped while getting food, and the BEV was charging while getting food, using bathroom, etc... This is how he managed to beat the ICE (Porsche 911) with a BEV (Model 3 Performance), on a 500 mile race.

Reactions: RTPEV
It depends on your region... I drove from California to Canada and back... In California, EA was cheaper than supercharging... But in Oregon and Washington, Supercharging was cheaper than EA.
In Oregon I have never seen charges per minute. Last time, about a month ago, we used SC's on I-84 all costs were per kwh. around 40 cents per.Have things changed?

In Oregon I have never seen charges per minute. Last time, about a month ago, we used SC's on I-84 all costs were per kwh. around 40 cents per.Have things changed?
It's only certain states. Some states have state laws that say that ONLY the state regulated utilities are allowed to sell electricity. So to work around that in those states, the companies running charging networks just have it set up so that you are "renting time" using their equipment.

Reactions: RSpanner