Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla scaling back service loaners for Model S owners?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Guys really... Try some napkin math, it's obvious what's happening. I calculate they'd need to keep ~$1.8 Billion of P100D's on the books to make sure everyone got one for a loaner.

No money, no cars.
You're right. in this case Tesla cannot put their money where their mouth is because they don't have that money :)
On a side note, I didn't do the napkin math, however the MS is a car with significant margins, I wonder if you took that into account.

Two weeks ago I got black 75 RWD model S with cloth seats from the Enterprise representative. I think it was the same one I had in November since it now had 7000 miles on it. I had to sign a bunch of places on the Enterprise forms. I was back at the same service center Friday and I got a brown P85D with 45,000 miles this time with no paperwork--they just tossed me the key fob and told me where it was parked. The brown kind of grew on me over the weekend. So not a lot of consistency in the process.

I was on a long trip when mine broke down last year. I was over 2,500 miles from home and it broke down around Cedar Point in Sandusky Ohio.

Since I was from out of state and was actually visiting Michigan with some other tangents, I got a gas loaner instead of a Tesla because I wasn't from the State where the service center was located. So for about 6 weeks, I drove ICE.

I was just grateful to have something to drive and that they paid for it. They were also willing to deliver my Tesla, wherever I wanted it, free of charge. It would have been nice to have a Tesla loaner, then, but some rule was against it and I was still happy to have at least something to drive.

Cleveland service center treated me well and as usual communication could have been better but nothing is perfect.

Last edited:
You guys are tough crowd :) I am not advocating for Tesla to be losing money for service loaners.
There are many owners in this thread and others that have received either no loaner or an ICE loaner, this doesn't even remotely chimes with the company's own policy:

“Yes. And in fact, this will take us a few months to fully deploy, but our policy for service loaners is that the service loaner fleet will be the very best version of a Tesla that is available. So if you have a Model X that comes in for service, the service loaner you will get will be the absolute fully loaded state-of-the-art P100D Ludicrous, best Model X that we have. The same for the Model S. So it will be the kind of thing where you hope that service takes a long time because you have the absolute top-of-the-line Tesla as a service loaner.”

It is OKAY to be vocally critical to the company making promises and not holding up to them, they should learn from that and many other instances where they over commit and under deliver.

Its so sad, I've never been able to get a loaner from Devon, PA service center. This "policy" is a load of *sugar*

You guys are tough crowd :) I am not advocating for Tesla to be losing money for service loaners.
There are many owners in this thread and others that have received either no loaner or an ICE loaner, this doesn't even remotely chimes with the company's own policy:

“Yes. And in fact, this will take us a few months to fully deploy, but our policy for service loaners is that the service loaner fleet will be the very best version of a Tesla that is available. So if you have a Model X that comes in for service, the service loaner you will get will be the absolute fully loaded state-of-the-art P100D Ludicrous, best Model X that we have. The same for the Model S. So it will be the kind of thing where you hope that service takes a long time because you have the absolute top-of-the-line Tesla as a service loaner.”

It is OKAY to be vocally critical to the company making promises and not holding up to them, they should learn from that and many other instances where they over commit and under deliver.

THIS!

Elon says it, but then . . . in the real world, we still end up with 2014 and similar vintage MS trade in's and they're pretty beat up.

I know Texas makes it especially painful for Tesla, but there must be a way to at least get someone dropping off 2017 MS's for warranty work into something that's not that ancient, especially in light of Elon's "promise" from soooo long ago.

I concur that they need not be P100D's, but at least get us some 2017's or 2018's for a change. Run them for a few thousand miles and then put them in the near empty "used/CPO" For Sale fleet.

We brought our Model 3 in to the local service center to fix an issue with the GPS and to replace a headlight that had some condensation in it. I was offered a loaner while making the appointment (five days ahead of time).

After dropping off the car in the morning, we received a Cadillac XTS since no Tesla loaners were available. I was told that it's "hit & miss" whether or not a Tesla loaner would be available and that some owners specifically schedule their appointments around their availability. Oh well. I ended up "trading up" for a low mileage S100D the next afternoon that seemed to have just been returned (there was still a crumpled McDonald's bag in the cup holder.

Overall, it was a good experience (after getting the S100D). The Cadillac was nice but definitely not a Tesla! :)