Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla selling test cars?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the inventory section there are currently 53 Model 3 cars with mileage on them. They are under the new car section as opposed to the used car section which is a bit misleading.

Is this an effort to sell stock before a price reduction?

Obviously demand has fallen off a cliff due to Covid-19

Those are usually demo or loaner cars. Seems they do this to rotate them regularly and keep them from getting high miles. I'm not sure of the laws there, but in the US they are still considered "new" as long as they aren't titled to someone. My second Model S had 5K miles on it, and I bought it "new" from Tesla and still was eligible for federal incentives. They also knocked $11K off of the price for the age/mileage.

They're new in the sense that they are only registered to the manufacturer and so quality for VAT, 100% FYA if in a company etc.

I think its been mentioned on another thread here about them, you can see the discounts if you go to the inventory sites and not the Tesla website as the discount is displayed on them (ie tesla-info). Seems FSD is being bundled in quite cheaply into a lot of them but I've not worked out if the discount includes the gov grant or not and its not easy at times to work out what the price you pay is with Tesla..

I'm talking about the UK of course and I have only seen a couple at any one time in the past but this is over fifty in one chunk.

Does anyone think this could be connected to the large staff furlough?
Not sure it's staff furlough it's probably more just an opportunity to empty out stock they've got because no one is test driving anything.

I live close to Park Royal Tesla and walk past regularly - normally there's a few of each model in the car park but they seem to be disappearing by the day

It could just be stick them all up for sale and if they sell they sell rather than sit gathering dust. I think after 6 months Tesla/manufacturers can claim the VAT back on demonstrators which working backwards would make these Oct registered cars. Oct is Month 1 of Q4 which is usually a quiet month for UK shipments. That doesn't seem right, or I guess they could be Sept to boost Q3 numbers.

I'm also not sure how easy it would be to actually order and take delivery of one, anything with miles on the clock I'd want to see pictures in the same way you do with a CPO/Tesla used car as you can;t see the car in the flesh.

If you have your heart set on FSD there seem to be some nice discounts especially on SR+ and performance models. I guess these are the first set of demo cars from the UK launch and they are now at 6 months so want to replace them with latest stock, I guess they may also have some spare new MY20 ones from all the recent logistics issues/cancellations or perhaps they are expecting a significant spec change once new production starts and ships to UK and want to get rid of older stock

Reactions: ringi and bhav
No they haven't what? Started with model years?
I suggest you do some homework
When did Tesla change their model year policy? | Tesla

The cars have always had a year, now Tesla just advances the year earlier like all the other OEMs because of customer complaints and refusal to accept cars at the end of the year that have a VIN of the calendar year.

But they still make changes as often as they want. Like you can get a 2020 Model S/X that is a Long Range or Long Range+ depending on when it was made. (That change happened mid-December from what I have seen.) Some 2020 Model S/Xs come with wireless phone charging, if they are newer than the date at which Telsa added that feature. (That happened in February from what I recall.)

i.e. They don't operate on a traditional model year basis. They make changes through the year.

So they now have the new year coded into the VIN from the September before rather than the 1st of January.
Doesn’t mean anything about not making running changes to production.

I agree with George. There are lots of threads about the changes they made for the 2020 model 3 - changes to flooring, hook removal etc.

All manufacturers make changes when necessary but they absolutely try and reduce these to a minimum as the ability to track and understand thousands of permutations which would develop over time is truly horrendous. The changes here such as bringing in a heat pump is a significant change.

Tesla used to code the year in the VIn to the be the year they made the car, they no longer do. I've also read that they changed the internal model code numbering MT301 was the internal model code for the 2019 SR+ and MT308 for the 2020 SR+ - why would they change their internal model code references if it wasn't to signify a model year change?

indeed, like this M3P with 13,000 miles for £46,100 (so like 10k discount vs a new car on current pricing).

in fact many of the ex-demo cars have just had a ~5k price adjustment, I think they have just unbundled FSD from them to see if that will help them to shift.

that’s right, the cars are exactly the same as from a few days ago, albeit FSD has been removed and prices dropped

Reactions: bhav