Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Semi delivery event, 1 December 2022

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
35/14*250=625kw at same voltage as current. Moving to 1000V means 2.5*625=1562.

CT likely won’t be able to use MW charger because those are all private currently. And will require a different plug. It sounds like the new V4 chargers will have the ability to operate at 400V and 1000V so those chargers will instantly become 250/625kw chargers.

Tesla has kept charging times fairly consistent throughout models. SR vehicles charge slower than LR but total charge time is the same. Looks like the same with CT. Even with a 200kwh battery, charging times would only be slightly more (depending on taper) since the architecture allows chargers to be more powerful.

Reactions: advocate8
And will require a different plug. It sounds like the new V4 chargers will have the ability to operate at 400V and 1000V so those chargers will instantly become 250/625kw chargers.
Tend to agree.
Though equally think it's unlikely that Tesla would let a 100-120kWh battery pack (max likely with CT) go to anywhere near 600kW given c-ratios. I'd think 300kW max.

The Semi is different as it's got a rumoured 500kWh pack, and I think as you say will use the new triangular CHARin MW connector, not the NACS/TPS connector.

This has to be Elon's all-time best new product launch presentation since he didn't talk all that much, leaving it mostly to "the guy on the left" to explain most of the specs and capabilities of the Semi. We don't yet know the kWh size of the pack, or the battery type, which is strange as the product has now been released, sort of. Heck, we don't even know if the firmware will have the full Tesla gaming suite as our cars do.

Also, how long might it take for those cool black Semi t-shirts they were wearing to show up in the apparel section of the Shop?

This has to be Elon's all-time best new product launch presentation since he didn't talk all that much, leaving it mostly to "the guy on the left" to
Dan Priestly (one of the Pepsi guys said thanks Dan and YT and the internet quickly found his LinkedIn profile).
12 year Tesla veteran, starting as an Intern btw.

Dan did a good job filling in the detail that Elon missed and yet not dominating.

I assume though there was a deliberate decision not to go into the detailed tech specs today.

I think they more shared the V4 details because whatever charger they use for these Semis will use the new direct liquid cooled cables.

The Semi may well also have a NACS outlet but there certainly won't be many supercharger sites where a fully loaded Semi, let alone even the cab can easily charge.

Wonderful to finally see the Tesla Semi come to fruition. I look forward to it replacing diesel trucks.

However, the nitpicker in me could not but help notice a few details I found interesting:

1. I've read that a loaded diesel Semi averages about 6 mpg, and I think a garden variety diesel passenger car about 40 mpg at highway speeds. This works out to 7x more energy to move the Semi compared to a car. If I figure a garden variety EV is about 300 Wh/mile at highway speeds, I would expect a garden variety EV Semi to use 7x more energy per mile or about 2100 Wh/mile. The arithmetic suggests that the Tesla Semi Wh/mile is about where non-exceptional engineering would land.
  2. Elon and his co-host during the reveal emphasized that while Semis are only ~ 1.5% of the passenger vehicle market, they emit 20% of carbon and 30% of particulate emissions. The implication was that diesel Semi replacement is low hanging fruit. However, in a battery production constrained market the batteries used in a Semi are not available for passenger cars. Since the Semi is 1000 kWh and a passenger vehicle is about 67 kWh on average, we might say that a Semi keeps 15 ICE on the road. This suggests that a Semi is indeed a good place to use scarce battery kWh but not a slam dunk since vehicle batteries can also take on grid duties or motivate PV installation.
  3. I think Tesla is aware of this pollution arithmetic because they repeatedly then pointed out that concentrated diesels operating in urban environments are a big quality of life hit for the residents, and the Tesla EV Semi will have an outsized impact for those people. This rings very true as a place to focus on diesel replacement; the irony here is that 1,000 kWh, long range Tesla Semis are not needed, or even the preferred choice, for this specific diesel replacement scenario.

Reactions: cleverscreenam
You’re right. My mistake. You said cameras will be the replacement to being able to look out the window when alley docking.
Cameras are not a good replacement for being able to see with your own eyes because again the depth perception is not there
And if when backing up the camera's provide distances on the screen to avoid any depth perception problems?

Others posts have said payload 40k to 45k.
…and those “Others” claim to have read it “somewhere”. Classic.

A 40k lb payload means the truck would have weighed 41k lbs since Tesla did say the gross weight was 81k lbs. Engineering Explained did a great reality check of the semi on YouTube. I encourage all who haven’t watched it to take a look. Weight is the first item he tackles. He estimates the semi to weigh between 21k lbs to 28k lbs, most likely around 24k lbs.

IF the semi were 41k lbs, that means the battery would roughly weigh 28k lbs (41k - 13k (avg semi minus engine weight) = 28k). 28k lbs * 129 Wh/lbs (rough assumption for 4680) = 3.6 MWh. This seems awfully large, especially if we assume Tesla is producing 4680s at the holy grail cost of $100/kWh. Assuming that price point the battery alone would cost $360k. If they are selling the semi for around $400k they would be taking a huge loss for each one.

This truck is a beast! Big issue I see is what happens when something breaks while on the road? It’s going to take along time to train mechanics to fix and have spare parts on hand… time is money for truckers.

CT likely won’t be able to use MW charger because those are all private currently. And will require a different plug.
Elon clearly stated that the CT will use the MW charger.

It sounds like the new V4 chargers will have the ability to operate at 400V and 1000V so those chargers will instantly become 250/625kw chargers.
The new V4 chargers are the MW chargers. You need to go back review the Semi presentation.

From Elon and Dan during the presentation: One electric motor(carbon-wrapped Plaid motor) on the Tesla Semi is more powerful than a diesel engine in a class 8 truck.
Screenshot 2022-12-02 at 8.43.08 AM.png

Reactions: Olle