Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Semi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In a Jay Leno's Garage EXCLUSIVE, Tesla Chief Designer Franz von Holzhausen and Tesla's Senior Manager of Semi-Truck Engineering Dan Priestley bring Tesla's new Semi-Truck by the garage.
Yes, very much enjoyed that video. I will admit, though, that i was surprised by two things. First, Jay Leno seemed to have trouble keeping the truck inside the lane lines, especially on his left side. Maybe because of the center seating position?
And second, it looked as if the truck has the (stupid?!) new wheel with no stalks and just buttons for the turn signals. Jay mentioned it but did not complain, i suppose because he is used to it from his Plaid Model S. But I cannot see how the average trucker will tolerate that.

the truck has the (stupid?!) new wheel with no stalks and just buttons for the turn signals.

Jay was lucky that there was still a steering wheel....

Self-driving eighteen-wheelers are now on highways in states like California and Texas.
But there are still human “safety drivers” behind the wheel. What will it take to get them out?

And second, it looked as if the truck has the (stupid?!) new wheel with no stalks and just buttons for the turn signals
Where we watching the same video? It sure looks like it has a turn signal stalk to me:

1696613647429.png

And the buttons on that side of the wheel don't look like turn signal buttons to me.

Jay mentioned it but did not complain, i suppose because he is used to it from his Plaid Model S.
I didn't hear him mention it. Do you have a timestamp for that?

But I cannot see how the average trucker will tolerate that.
Pepsi drivers haven't seemed to complain. (But then again there is nothing to complain about, because a turn signal stalk appears to be there.)

Yes, very much enjoyed that video. I will admit, though, that i was surprised by two things. First, Jay Leno seemed to have trouble keeping the truck inside the lane lines, especially on his left side. Maybe because of the center seating position?
It's because Jay isn't a semi truck driver. You can't just jump into a big rig and drive it like a pro.

And second, it looked as if the truck has the (stupid?!) new wheel with no stalks and just buttons for the turn signals. Jay mentioned it but did not complain, i suppose because he is used to it from his Plaid Model S. But I cannot see how the average trucker will tolerate that.

No, it had stalks. Look at the wheel, there's no left/right turn buttons.

Be aware also that these are prototype units, the high volume production units will have changes.

Jay was lucky that there was still a steering wheel....

Self-driving eighteen-wheelers are now on highways in states like California and Texas.
But there are still human “safety drivers” behind the wheel. What will it take to get them out?
They are doing very well between Houston and Dallas. Depot to Depot, known routes, very interesting- something good that came out of Uber.

Reactions: petit_bateau
Where we watching the same video? It sure looks like it has a turn signal stalk to me:

View attachment 980161

And the buttons on that side of the wheel don't look like turn signal buttons to me.

Pepsi drivers haven't seemed to complain. (But then again there is nothing to complain about, because a turn signal stalk appears to be there.)
I think you are right! I did not see that. I thought the two buttons (with the ridge between) to the left of the left scroll wheel were the turn signals. Is this perhaps a wheel from Model 3/Y? Anyway, my bad -- I leapt to the wrong conclusion. :(

View attachment 980161

I do not have a timestamp. Too long to watch it again to find it. Whatever he said, i do agree with the people who pointed out that I did miss the stalks, so I apologize for my error.