Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Sentry Mode in Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife parked our Model 3 in a semi-busy area while she went shopping at Target at 6:30 pm last night. While shopping Sentry Mode caught some punks drive up (in a Mercedes nonetheless), break the rear quarter window, fold down the seat, realize there was nothing valuable, drove ahead to the car in front of our Tesla, peek inside their windows and then drive away. Sentry mode caught it on video. Check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NM8sCA-moDo

Some more info:
  • A police report was filed. The officer said it was the first time he had seen video from Sentry Mode.
  • The license plate on the Mercedes is from a 2014 Camaro. Not too surpising
  • My wife walked up to the car 1 minute after this happened. A bit scary but everyone is safe.
  • We did not have the seats folded down. But, my wife had put our laptops in the frunk. Thanks goodness for the frunk.
  • The Sentry Mode alarm did not trigger. I don't think the glass break was loud enough or caused enough vibration so I did not get a notification.
  • I was not expecting video because my wife said she forgot to turn on Sentry Mode but I recently got the Stats app and I believe it turned on Sentry Mode. Big kudos to the app. I recommend it.

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife parked our Model 3 in a semi-busy area while she went shopping at Target at 6:30 pm last night. While shopping Sentry Mode caught some punks drive up (in a Mercedes nonetheless), break the rear quarter window, fold down the seat, realize there was nothing valuable, drove ahead to the car in front of our Tesla, peek inside their windows and then drive away. Sentry mode caught it on video. Check it out:

Some more info:
  • A police report was filed. The officer said it was the first time he had seen video from Sentry Mode.
  • My wife walked up to the car 1 minute after this happened. A bit scary but everyone is safe.
  • We did not have the seats folded down. But, my wife had put our laptops in the frunk. Thanks goodness for the frunk.
  • The Sentry Mode alarm did not trigger. I don't think the glass break was loud enough or caused enough vibration so I did not get a notification.
  • I was not expecting video because my wife said she forgot to turn on Sentry Mode but I recently got the Stats app and I believe it turned on Sentry Mode. Big kudos to the app. I recommend it.

Location?

Reactions: l4sythe
At this point/rate of break-ins based on this board, one might as well leave the windows open if you own a model 3 and lives in the bay area
You're only seeing reports from those to whom this has happened, not from the vast majority to whom this has not -- a very skewed sample. A better recommendation would be to leave the rear seats folded down with nothing left in the trunk or passenger cabin when parking in higher risk areas, such as shopping center or cinema parking lots.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I've seen any reports outside of California. Maybe it's just the sheer number of Teslas running around there.
Reading forums and watching videos, one may get the impression that these break-ins are a new phenomenon with the Model 3, but smash and grabs are nothing new and not just limited to California and Teslas. I think it has more to do with where specific gangs operate and what their tried-and-true M.O. is.

See here and the next half dozen or so posts:
Epidemic of Model 3 small window break-ins

Last edited:
Reading forums and watching videos, one may get the impression that these break-ins are a new phenomenon with the Model 3, but smash and grabs are nothing new and not just limited to California and Teslas. I think it has more to do with where specific gangs operate and what their tried-and-true M.O. is.

Break ins happening to everyone in the Bay Area. They attack everything from a Model 3 to a Bolt to a Prius. Heck people even get their bikes stolen.

Reactions: ibGeek
My guess is that these guys are leasing the Mercedes, but can't afford its payments so they're going around robbing cars in parking lots with plates from other cars. Did the police have any insights?
The police did not have much insights. They said even that Mercedes could have been stolen. Hard to know without more details.

Some more info:

Glad all are safe

I proposed in another thread that the little window should be openable from the outside. Put a hinge on it. So thieves can open it, pull down the seats, look in the empty trunk, and go on their way, without causing damage.

Reactions: Cperry
Very helpfu, thank you for sharing. I have a 2016.5 model S which is not equipt with Sentry mode. I look forward to the day that Tesla offers upgrades to older vechicle as I would pay for this!
Herd immunity. As long as 90% of Teslas on the road have Sentry mode and the general public is aware, then you’ll be safe.

I have lived up and down the East Coast most of my life. The first, and only, place I have ever heard the term "smash-and-grab" is on these forums. The only times I have heard of a car being robbed in a community I lived in or near is when someone left their doors unlocked.