Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Service Centers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tonight there was an opening reception for the new Service Center and Store in Dedham, Mass. Located right on a busy Rte.1 street side by side with other conventional dealers.

Beautiful facility which increases Tesla's visibility in New England in a significant way.

Event was very well attended with at least 100 Teslas (and owners) showing up for the opening. Great marketing event!

Attachments

• 20150716_192731.jpg
    20150716_192731.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 542
  • 20150716_200108.jpg
    20150716_200108.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 592
@kyalami - thanks for the pics (the wife's car is the red one in the first picture, glad we washed it :)

I hope someone got a video of the parking lot...it was a lot of fun...
Good to see some familiar Tesla faces, especially those in new roles.

Sadly, word from test drive event today is that Pittsburgh Service has been pushed back to 2015.
You wrote this in March 2014. I notice it isn't on the "coming soon list" as of July 25, 2015.

Commitment is still for a large store/service center shared facility. Should be ready for all the new Model X owners. Like us!

No, it won't be.

Tesla is not expanding the Service Centers successfully at the necessary speed. :-( This is getting to be a serious problem.

Maybe Tesla will have to delay the release of the Model 3 due to a lack of service centers. It would be better than releasing it without enough service centers. :-(

- - - Updated - - -

list of new service centers has been updated ...

http://www.teslamotors.com/findus/service

Update: I count 57 centers in North America (including Hawaii and Alaska) now listed as being open or coming soon
You wrote that in June 2013. As of July 2015, I count 70.

This is a *terrible* rate of increase. That's an average of 6 per year.

At this rate, Tesla will be unable to service Model X, let alone Model 3.

I hope Tesla hires a new manager of service center expansion (separate from the manager of service) and gives them a large budget. Because this is going too slowly.

Reactions: Tedkidd
I just dropped off our Roadster for an upgrade, and got a Signature Model S as a loaner! I saw the "6USX..." plate and did a double take. I assume it was traded on an X. Some other people also were talking about getting an older loaner vehicle, and were happy because the turn indicator stalk was in the right place (for them... and me...)

I just dropped off our Roadster for an upgrade, and got a Signature Model S as a loaner! I saw the "6USX..." plate and did a double take. I assume it was traded on an X. Some other people also were talking about getting an older loaner vehicle, and were happy because the turn indicator stalk was in the right place (for them... and me...)
Glad you got a loaner for the Roadster. There were some rumblings not to long ago that they were no longer doing so.

Just dropped my MS P85+ at the Sunnyvale (CA) service center and go stuck with Nissan Altima through Enterprise. I guess the Bay Area service centers just have too much business or too few loaners. There were 4-5 new Model X inventory cars on the lot. A lady was dropping her Model X (didn't even have plates on it yet) off for service - something to do with an idiot light or indicator remaining on in the driver's display.

What do people do for service if they live 100 more more miles from a service center? Does Tesla come out at pick the cars up, or doesn't one have to plan on day-long commitments to take the car in for service?

And what about major repairs in that case?

(I'm thinking practically about what owning a Model S would entail for me today. )

I'm not sure if it works the same everywhere, but here in Michigan they pick up the cars locally and then truck them in groups to the nearest service center for no charge. It may increase turn around time by a couple days but is perfectly convenient.

What do people do for service if they live 100 more more miles from a service center? Does Tesla come out at pick the cars up, or doesn't one have to plan on day-long commitments to take the car in for service?

(I'm thinking practically about what owning a Model S would entail for me today. )
Tesla makes no guarantees about picking up and dropping off the cars for new buyers any more. They may require you to make day-long commitments to take the car in for service. So far they've been pretty nice to people who have *complained* about this, and have dropped off / picked up the car. But if you plan to keep the car for more than a couple of years,.... well, either expect a day-long commitment or don't get the car (until they build a closer service center).

does anyone have any information in relation to the alleged opening soon Service Centre in Edinburgh, Scotland UK. Our Model S is due in September and when ordering it we were told the Edinburgh service centre would be open by then, just curious

Tesla makes no guarantees about picking up and dropping off the cars for new buyers any more. if you plan to keep the car for more than a couple of years,.... well, either expect a day-long commitment or don't get the car (until they build a closer service center).

Thanks. That's what I thought the situation might be these days. Still, I occasionally read people raving about Ranger service. But I have the impression those are the exceptions.

I live 337 and 378 miles from the nearest Service Centers. When I purchased the car I was told that if the car was driveable it was my responsibility to take it to the Service Center for warranty service. If the car was undriveable they would pick it up, up to 500 miles away, for warranty service. Ranger service is available but it is fairly expensive ($3/mile for the one way distance IIRC, I haven't checked lately).

So, yes, one generally has to plan day long trips (two days in my case) for service if one lives far away from a Service Center, or pay a lot for Ranger Service. I have an appointment for a door handle repair in Salt Lake City in a couple of weeks. It will cost me a motel bill, a couple of days, and 700+ miles of tire and car wear. It's the price for driving a Tesla when one lives far from one of their very few Service Centers. I'd wait for a regular service visit but the handle is beginning to annoy me and my time, at least, is free since I am retired.

Something to consider when buying a Tesla. FWIW.

You wrote this in March 2014. I notice it isn't on the "coming soon list" as of July 25, 2015.

No, it won't be.

Tesla is not expanding the Service Centers successfully at the necessary speed. :-( This is getting to be a serious problem.

Maybe Tesla will have to delay the release of the Model 3 due to a lack of service centers. It would be better than releasing it without enough service centers. :-(

- - - Updated - - -

You wrote that in June 2013. As of July 2015, I count 70.

This is a *terrible* rate of increase. That's an average of 6 per year.

At this rate, Tesla will be unable to service Model X, let alone Model 3.

I hope Tesla hires a new manager of service center expansion (separate from the manager of service) and gives them a large budget. Because this is going too slowly.
I tend to agree with you. There is only one showroom and one service center in all of Colorado but the bigger problem is a lot of the neighboring states have 0 so not only are all the Colorado S3X buyers going to be using it so are the other states' drivers and I hear its already a mess now.

Reactions: Tedkidd and neroden
Thanks. That's what I thought the situation might be these days. Still, I occasionally read people raving about Ranger service. But I have the impression those are the exceptions.
....that would be those of us who bought unlimited Ranger service for 8 years before Tesla stopped offering it. It was a great deal. Since they discontinued it -- don't buy the car until they open a service center near you.

This is the one and only reason I am telling people not to buy Teslas.

I tend to agree with you. There is only one showroom and one service center in all of Colorado but the bigger problem is a lot of the neighboring states have 0 so not only are all the Colorado S3X buyers going to be using it so are the other states' drivers and I hear its already a mess now.

Kind of crazy in that CO is a state that had a $6000 rebate for EVs registered in the state. Including used ones brought in from out of state. One and only one service center is poor planning. Two or more are needed.

We bought both "extended service" options (the 8 year ranger and the warranty extension), but with a change of operating policy by Montreal beginning last year, we now have a minimum five day round trip to Montreal, or a $6,000 transport bill, for any repairs which can't be done by Rangers. There is no way we can finalize our Model 3 reservations if just getting TO warranty repairs cost this kind of money. Moreover, as neroden suggests, those of us in the Maritimes (or any other part of Canada outside of the major metro areas) should be "unselling" the Model 3. Paying about $40k for a car and then having to pony up another 15% for the first (inevitable) warranty repair would be a customer relations nightmare.

We bought both "extended service" options (the 8 year ranger and the warranty extension), but with a change of operating policy by Montreal beginning last year, we now have a minimum five day round trip to Montreal, or a $6,000 transport bill, for any repairs which can't be done by Rangers.
They're required to provide *you* with free transport service for the annual service and any problems found therein. They were very clear in the advertising for the 8-year unlimited ranger service.

If they absolutely refuse, sue them. I doubt they'll refuse. So far they've been very good about honoring the service for the rather short list of "grandfathered" people who bought the 8-year unlimited ranger service while it was available; you're the first person I've heard who they're trying to cheat. Make it clear that you would not have bought the car under the conditions they are currently trying to impose, and that you feel that you have been defrauded. Worst case they'd have to buy the car back and refund your money.

Certainly you should not buy a Model 3, not with the current service center situation. I would cancel my reservations immediately if I were you.

• Informative
Reactions: bonaire
Is anyone else have very long waits to get in for service. I called on 8/22 and couldn't get an appointment till 9/26 - almost 5 weeks. We live near Wash DC and it seems the two service centers are overloaded. We have a passenger door you can't open from the outside and for a couple of days mirrors that wouldn't un-fold despite re-booting twice -- they fixed themselves overnight. We also get intermittent problems with the navigation - route partially disappears if you zoom in/out -- see uploaded picture.

Anyone else finding very long delays in getting in for service?

Fred

Attachments

• Tesla Nav Screen.JPG
    Tesla Nav Screen.JPG
    15.9 KB · Views: 78