Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Service Centers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's nothing wrong with a base Model S. Feel lucky that you have a service center within less than 4 hours drive.

Still no service centers in upstate NY, which is ridiculous.

The finger lakes are a lot of small towns, with Ithaca being "ivy league" but perhaps not enough wealth to support a lot of sales/service. eastern-Rochester - maybe since it is equidistance among the Buf/Roch/Syr/Ithaca region.

The finger lakes are a lot of small towns, with Ithaca being "ivy league" but perhaps not enough wealth to support a lot of sales/service. eastern-Rochester - maybe since it is equidistance among the Buf/Roch/Syr/Ithaca region.
I agree the east side of Rochester would be ideal to service the Roch, Buffalo and Syracuse area. In fact the closed Sears auto store in the Eastview Mall would be terrific, close to the Thruway and the SC.

Reactions: KnoxEVfan
I agree the east side of Rochester would be ideal to service the Roch, Buffalo and Syracuse area. In fact the closed Sears auto store in the Eastview Mall would be terrific, close to the Thruway and the SC.

Not far from there used to be the GM Fuel Cell laboratory in Fairport, NY (If I remember correctly). I think now it's called American Fuel Cell (Plug Power bought them)

Rochester is a good technology town. Lot of battery research and labs going on there (ironically in old Kodak facilities). I would like to see advances in the Lithium-Sulfur space come out of there. However, small due to the weather conditions. Great place. If you ever use the RIT charging stations near the field house - that's my donation to the college.

Reactions: KnoxEVfan
KMart is closing stores all over the US. Large square footage, urban locations, would make fabulous Service Centers.

A store should be in a mall or high traffic area. These new service centers Tesla needs, can be in any location near population centers.

Likely these former KMart stores could be bought for reasonable prices since a majority are sitting empty.

KMart is closing stores all over the US. Large square footage, urban locations, would make fabulous Service Centers.

A store should be in a mall or high traffic area. These new service centers Tesla needs, can be in any location near population centers.

Likely these former KMart stores could be bought for reasonable prices since a majority are sitting empty.
The problem is in NYS Tesla is only allowed 5 “showrooms” and I believe service centers. We need to keep contacting our State Legislators to have the law changed and break the grip of the Car Dealers Association. The Car Dealers are a powerful lobby and donate considerably to the legislators. You would think the good of the consumer and free market would be the goal of NYS? If I wanted to test drive a model 3 I would have had to had to travel 5 hours AND to get my Model 3 I did, it makes no sense.

Anywhere from Buffalo to Albany would be fine. Look at the map! Nothing!

Syracuse would be ideal IMO. It's on the intersection of the east-west expressway (I-90 / NYS Thruway) and the north-south expressway (I-81). People would happily drive from Rochester, Albany, Binghamton, and Watertown to a Syracuse service center.

The problem is in NYS Tesla is only allowed 5 “showrooms” and I believe service centers.
Incorrect. That is NOT the problem. Tesla is allowed an unlimited number of service centers in NY.

Tesla is only allowed 5 stores, and has chosen for whatever arcane reasons of its own to waste all five of them on the NYC metro area, but that doesn't even matter, they could do that and still open a service center in Syracuse. They CHOOSE not to.

Reactions: bonaire and GreenT
Incorrect. That is NOT the problem. Tesla is allowed an unlimited number of service centers in NY.

Tesla is only allowed 5 stores, and has chosen for whatever arcane reasons of its own to waste all five of them on the NYC metro area, but that doesn't even matter, they could do that and still open a service center in Syracuse. They CHOOSE not to.
We all agree we need a Service Center somewhere between Albany and Buffalo. Tesla didnt waste the stores in the NYC Metro area, there are roughly 24,000,000 people there and roughly 7,000,000 upstate. As Willie Sutton said you rob a bank because thats where the money is.

We all agree we need a Service Center somewhere between Albany and Buffalo. Tesla didnt waste the stores in the NYC Metro area, there are roughly 24,000,000 people there and roughly 7,000,000 upstate. As Willie Sutton said you rob a bank because thats where the money is.

Of course, they could’ve always opened four in NYC and at least have left one to cover some central location in upstate NY, no?

• Love
Reactions: neroden and GreenT
Very true, it's legit so close to my office that right across from my parking spots is overflow the center uses for car parking.

It turns out their loaners are through Enterprise now so it's a base 75D with no autopilot. I'm glad it's so close, it's just strange that it would be that far off the public claim of giving everyone fully loaded loaners at service centers. I'm sure once Q1 hits they'll be focusing more attention on service centers and less on delivering the maximum number of vehicles with the full incentive.

Very true, it's legit so close to my office that right across from my parking spots is overflow the center uses for car parking.

It turns out their loaners are through Enterprise now so it's a base 75D with no autopilot. I'm glad it's so close, it's just strange that it would be that far off the public claim of giving everyone fully loaded loaners at service centers. I'm sure once Q1 hits they'll be focusing more attention on service centers and less on delivering the maximum number of vehicles with the full incentive.

Fully loaded loaners is gone, it seems. It's a high-cost, high "value" thing that doesn't make economic sense. Model 3 owners really are not going to get much at all, maybe an Enterprise ICE. I think Model 3 SR buyers will probably be on their own.

Well.....I love the progress of their mobile units. Their mobile units are now contributing to over 30% of their repair cases. That's supurb.

Tesla’s ‘Mobile Service’ effort improving for Model 3 – trucks already doing 30% of service visits

Forget buying K-Marts - Tesla should buy additional mobile fleet cars. People love getting their cars fixed at their homes.

As a matter of fact I had a service call at my job. My car was fixed "before" I went home. It was fabulous.

And NOW its even getting better at no cost to us - the customers. Tesla App to Be Updated for Service Calls - Tesla Motors Club

Last edited:
Well.....I love the progress of their mobile units. Their mobile units are now contributing to over 30% of their repair cases. That's supurb.

Tesla’s ‘Mobile Service’ effort improving for Model 3 – trucks already doing 30% of service visits

Forget buying K-Marts - Tesla should buy additional mobile fleet cars. People love getting their cars fixed at their homes.

As a matter of fact I had a service call at my job. My car was fixed "before" I went home. It was fabulous.

And NOW its even getting better at no cost to us - the customers. Tesla App to Be Updated for Service Calls - Tesla Motors Club

I agree. If Tesla can get the coverage they need for each state with mobile service technicians that is the better way to go. Very convenient when the issue doesn’t need indoor protection. In the northeast though, I think we’re going to need some additional service centers.

Reactions: neroden
I agree. If Tesla can get the coverage they need for each state with mobile service technicians that is the better way to go. Very convenient when the issue doesn’t need indoor protection. In the northeast though, I think we’re going to need some additional service centers.
It isn't just protection from weather — I've had mobile service in my garage. However, there are some things that mobile service just can't do. It is great for the little stuff, such as 12V battery replacement. Even MCU replacement can be done if the rangers have the parts.

I've made numerous trips to the nearest service center, 300 miles and a whole lot of mountains away — it requires an overnight stay, sometimes two nights. That service center serves three very large states, as opposed to the little bitty states in the NE. We need more service centers in the Mountain West too!

• Love
Mobile service is all very well but it doesn't account for problems which need a lift. They happen. Musk has already tweeted that the failure of geographic coverage of service centers is an "foolish oversight". He said he'd aim to fix it in 3-6 months. On 16 Oct. However, given Elon time, I'm not expecting any progress by April, honestly. I just hope there's some progress by the end of 2019.

Elon Musk on Twitter

Mobile service is all very well but it doesn't account for problems which need a lift. They happen. Musk has already tweeted that the failure of geographic coverage of service centers is an "foolish oversight". He said he'd aim to fix it in 3-6 months. On 16 Oct. However, given Elon time, I'm not expecting any progress by April, honestly. I just hope there's some progress by the end of 2019.

Elon Musk on Twitter

Today marks the 3 month point from Elon's 3-6 month tweet on service locations:

ElonTweetService.png

• Helpful
Precisely zero progress in those three months. We'll see if there's any progress in the next three months (I'm not expecting any). If they haven't made any progress in nine months, however... then Tesla's basically screwed itself out of having customers

Many of the issues can be resolved before some cars leave the plant ( scratches, paint imperfection and etc). Others that can resolved during transport (scratches, broken or cracked windshields, dings, dents and etc). If Tesla doesn't get a handle on the service center issues it is only going to get worse when the $35,000 Model 3, Semi, Model Y and Roadster are released. It was extremely poor oversight on Elon's part. No one will buy a car that you cant get repaired due to accidents or mechanical failures.

Many of the issues can be resolved before some cars leave the plant ( scratches, paint imperfection and etc). Others that can resolved during transport (scratches, broken or cracked windshields, dings, dents and etc). If Tesla doesn't get a handle on the service center issues it is only going to get worse when the $35,000 Model 3, Semi, Model Y and Roadster are released. It was extremely poor oversight on Elon's part. No one will buy a car that you cant get repaired due to accidents or mechanical failures.

I agree to the point where I have told family and friends asking about getting a Tesla to wait 3-6 months if they can to see how service demand is met. I am mildly optimistic because Musk said it was Tesla's number one priority in the earnings call. He has mentioned service as a priority down the list before but never at the top. Here is an article on it:
https://electrek.co/2019/02/02/tesla-service-issue-detection-towing-call-loaner/

My experience with the mobile service is superb.
I have both an S and an X, and I am aware that early adopters sometimes suffer a bit, so I don't gripe about each and every minor inconvenience.

However,
I am continually reminded how well built these cars are - primarily by how much service I do not need.

My latest experience was exemplary when our S could not lite up the main screen. The mobile technician got back to me and remotely ran a couple updates while the car was in the driveway. The problem was solved and the screen was up and going in almost no time at all.

I am not a shareholder, just a 4x customer.

SDS