Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Doing a big drive this weekend on 2022.4.5, loving the changes to Autopilot. Barely got any nag over a 100km journey on mixed highways and country roads, even while wearing sunglasses (there was speculation the in-cabin camera was eye tracking and so didn't work for sunglass wearers).

Anyone also noticed they seem to have changed how the airconditioning works? I've noticed that it's a lot cooler and proactive in trying to cool the cabin rather than previously where I'd have to set it below my desired temperature for it to actually feel like it's doing anything.

I've been on 2022.4.5 since the same time roadside assistance brought me a non-leaky rim for the front right, which turned out to be a 19" rim (I have 21" turbines). They assured me if you consider the thicker rubber on the 19" it comes to the same diameter as the 21" wheels. Yeah, right. Anyway, what I've noticed is that the car has a slight pull to the right now, which makes sense, higher rolling resistance due softer tyre etc. But what I didn't expect is the AP to start behaving badly. It now seems to have a distinct propensity for hugging the left side of the lane, which isn't great when there are trucks and buses ON the line in the left lane.

So is this a tyre effect, or has an AP update others seem to have noticed messed with things?

I've been on 2022.4.5 since the same time roadside assistance brought me a non-leaky rim for the front right, which turned out to be a 19" rim (I have 21" turbines). They assured me if you consider the thicker rubber on the 19" it comes to the same diameter as the 21" wheels. Yeah, right. Anyway, what I've noticed is that the car has a slight pull to the right now, which makes sense, higher rolling resistance due softer tyre etc. But what I didn't expect is the AP to start behaving badly. It now seems to have a distinct propensity for hugging the left side of the lane, which isn't great when there are trucks and buses ON the line in the left lane.

So is this a tyre effect, or has an AP update others seem to have noticed messed with things?
My S has always consistently favoured the left side of the lanes, often uncomfortably so. Nothing new for me.

Reactions: paulp and meloccom
Anyone also noticed they seem to have changed how the airconditioning works? I've noticed that it's a lot cooler and proactive in trying to cool the cabin rather than previously where I'd have to set it below my desired temperature for it to actually feel like it's doing anything.
Now that you mention it... I have had similar experience. Since the summer started, every time I got in the car, I had to start out by issuing voice command "i'm hot" or "increase fan speed by 3", however since the 2022.4.5.1 update I have not had to do that. I thought its just because it has not been as hot outside, but it could be that they fixed the AC automatic levels...

When AP was first launched I had a puncture, and back then we could call our friendly tesla person on the mobile. He advised me that all tyres needed to be the same diameter for autopilot. I convinced the tyre shop to repair the tyre rather than replace all four. This was also a time when no-one knew anything about tesla, with questions like “so who makes tesla?”

It is interesting to hear where people’s cars are tracking lanes. My 3 with HW3 sits in the middle of the lane in a fairly resolute fashion.
Mine has been sitting dead center of the lane since I bought the car. At times when passing large trucks I wish it would swerve a little out of the center to increase the distance between the truck and my car, specially if I am on the last lane and there is nothing on the other side. But it sticks to the center and I have got used to that.

Reactions: Hairyman
Mine has been sitting dead center of the lane since I bought the car. At times when passing large trucks I wish it would swerve a little out of the center to increase the distance between the truck and my car, specially if I am on the last lane and there is nothing on the other side. But it sticks to the center and I have got used to that.
Mine does exactly as you describe, has anyone had the displeasure of knowing what happens if someone ventures too far into your lane? I’ve had it happen and the proximity sensors all showed up, but I took over before impact. I got the feeling AP wasn’t going to do anything. That said, I don’t even know if it’s MEANT to do anything.

Mine does exactly as you describe, has anyone had the displeasure of knowing what happens if someone ventures too far into your lane? I’ve had it happen and the proximity sensors all showed up, but I took over before impact. I got the feeling AP wasn’t going to do anything. That said, I don’t even know if it’s MEANT to do anything.
There is actually a setting in the Autopilot section of configuration about collision warnings and assistance. I have disabled assistance (as when I first got the car it got spooked by a truck in next lane and swerved once rather aggressively) and set the warning to late, so I dont expect mine to assist and even with late warning when in traffic jam it often triggers the collision warning when the car in front of me stops while not on autopilot and I have plenty of room. Collision warning triggers usually when I do my usual one pedal driving and I keep a little pressure on accelerator to let the car coast a little instead of stopping too early. There is always plenty of room and time to stop when I remove pressure from accelerator by just regen, so not sure why it goes all out with the warnings even when warning setting is set to late. I would expect it to wait until I would actually need to apply brakes manually as regen breaking would not be enough to stop in time.

You need to watch the YouTube channel "Wham Bam Teslacam" - there are heaps of good videos of AP taking evasive action on USA freeways.
Yes indeed, many of my ‘friends’ send me Tesla crash related clips and particularly anything with fire and Tesla in the same event 🙄
Nonetheless I do get the last laugh on a weekly basis as i swan past the petrol station at a great rate of knots. 🤣

My M3 saved my bacon. I checked my blindspot b4 I went to move into left lane, as I moved across an idiot floored it and tried to overtake in left lane (came outa no where). I had no idea as my Tesla accelerated veered back into original lane before completing the merge to left when all clear.. Tesla spotteded b4 I did and for moment wondered what was going on. Seen this behaviour on YouTube... but was amazing. Have FSD and I instructed Tesla to merge left.